Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Washing Cars in Winter

Old 02-09-2007, 09:24 PM
Mike R. is on a distinguished road
Washing Cars in Winter

I'm curious as to what others who reside in northern states do about washing their cars in the winter. I won't take my p-cars to a car wash and insist on doing them by hand, but when it the weather doesn't go above freezing, I'm at a loss.

Old 02-09-2007, 11:02 PM
Former Vendor
detailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond repute
I live in Northern NJ and its been freezing about 19 degrees to 29 in the last week or two...

Anyway its driving me nuts as I don't have a second garage but I've been going to a very decent self serve coin operated bay with pressure washers that use warm water that has been treated.

I do however bring my bucket, mitts, wheel cleaner, wax/sealant, tire dressing, etc.....

I spent about 1 hour doing the whole car including a vacumm and a coat of wax.

Old 02-10-2007, 06:55 AM
Thanks, Pyiu. I also live in Northern NJ (Bergen County). I actually have a hot water faucet in my garage, so I guess I should just suck it up, dress warmly, and wash quickly.

Old 02-10-2007, 07:41 AM
Former Vendor
detailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond repute
The only thing about this is the fact that you will ice up your driveway and potentiallly danger your family etc....

I have the hot water hook up too but I've got the 4 year old and wife to worry about.

Old 02-10-2007, 04:36 PM
djParis has a spectacular aura aboutdjParis has a spectacular aura about
When its super cold I get out my extra long hose and wash my cars in the street infront of my house. That way all the crazy crap from the roads stays out of my driveway and doesnt get tracked inside the house. Solves the potential ice problems too.

Old 02-10-2007, 08:17 PM
Seankf1105 is on a distinguished road
do you have a heated garage? if so then i would suggest looking into buying some optimum no rinse wash & shine and some nice waffle weave microfiber, that way you could wash inside of your garage. try looking it up on google or check autogeek. ive heard great things about ONR and thinking about ordering some myself

or if u dont want to take that route then i guess you can always wash your cars inside your garage, pull them outside and rinse them, then pull them back inside and dry them

another tip would be to pick up the griots wash mitt with the rubber glove insert

Old 02-11-2007, 03:44 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Seankf1105
do you have a heated garage? if so then i would suggest looking into buying some optimum no rinse wash & shine and some nice waffle weave microfiber, that way you could wash inside of your garage. try looking it up on google or check autogeek. ive heard great things about ONR and thinking about ordering some myself

or if u dont want to take that route then i guess you can always wash your cars inside your garage, pull them outside and rinse them, then pull them back inside and dry them

another tip would be to pick up the griots wash mitt with the rubber glove insert
+1 for the ONR. I haven't used it yet, but hear great things about it.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:54 AM
Thanks guys. From a quick review on autogeek, it appears that that ONR and DP 4 in 1 are recommended. It may reach slightly above 32 degrees tomorrow where I am, so I think I'm going to do a quick wash outside. When I try one of the rinseless washes, I'll let you know my thoughts.

Old 02-11-2007, 03:49 PM
MrBonus will become famous soon enough
I use ONR and love it. Great stuff.

Old 02-14-2007, 10:53 PM
Former Vendor
Mike did you get to do the car last weekend?

Old 02-15-2007, 05:35 PM
tdekany is on a distinguished road
Quick & Easy Wash from Protectall or Optimum's ONR is the way to go. Take 2 buckets full of very warm water and add 1 or more oz to one of the buckets (inside your garage) and wash the car.

Old 02-19-2007, 02:55 PM
ProDetail is on a distinguished road
I live in Chicago and it has been a cold couple of months, make sure when you wash your car to wipe down the door rubbers. I have seen them freeze to the car and when you open the door it will rip the rubber. Try to wash your car in the morning of a sunny day, it will give the water in the cracks a chance to dry, Bottom line is that we live in a climate that does not allow us to have a perfect looking car all year long, that is why it is so important to get a high quality wax on before the cold weather gets here to protect your paint. If you can find a warm space wax your car as much as you can (in moderation) in the winter to keep a barrier between the salt and your paint.

Old 02-19-2007, 06:57 PM
D.D. can only hope to improve
I apply glycerine to a cotton ball and rub down all door seals...this prevents them from sticking closed in freezing weather. Can purchase glycerine at lical drug store.

Old 02-19-2007, 11:03 PM
tdekany is on a distinguished road
QEW or ONR are your answer. Very easy and extremely convinient way to wash your car. AND no freezing water to worry about.

Try it and you will never suggest conventional washing during cold weather.

Old 02-20-2007, 08:48 PM
kb798 is on a distinguished road
I've used QEW and ONR, but I prefer ONR because it leaves a slicker finish than QEW. I don't even use a regular hose wash anymore because it's just more convenient for me to use ONR.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Washing Cars in Winter