Go Back   6speedonline.com Forums > Tech Stuff > Detailing
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing. Sponsored by: CR Spotless

Do California Car Dusters scratch paint?

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2007, 05:24 PM

squid is an unknown quantity at this point
Do California Car Dusters scratch paint?

My garage has horrible dust so I've been using one. I had horrible scratches in the paint mostly from a non-"touchless" car wash I've been going to but I wonder if my CCD had contributed? The Mas has really thin paint.

TIA
Old 03-24-2007, 05:34 PM

FNR32 is a jewel in the roughFNR32 is a jewel in the roughFNR32 is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to FNR32
No they don't I use them for my cars, they work great!
Old 03-24-2007, 05:44 PM

MattM has much to be proud ofMattM has much to be proud ofMattM has much to be proud ofMattM has much to be proud ofMattM has much to be proud ofMattM has much to be proud ofMattM has much to be proud ofMattM has much to be proud ofMattM has much to be proud of
As long as your car isn't DIRTY than it is fine. If your car has been in the rain or has a layer of dirt on the car I would wash it.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:09 PM

FNR32 is a jewel in the roughFNR32 is a jewel in the roughFNR32 is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to FNR32
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM
As long as your car isn't DIRTY than it is fine. If your car has been in the rain or has a layer of dirt on the car I would wash it.
Right. It's great for DUSTING the car, not cleaning the car. Pollen, dust, etc it works great. Especially if you have the car clayed and waxed. I would not use it if the car is obviously dirty and in need of cleaning.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:50 AM

Thanks. I just spent $150 getting all the scratches and scuffs buffed out and I'm going to start using the thing again. If I don't, I need to get the thing washed like every week or two. If I use it to dust I can easily go 6 weeks between washings, frequently more, so it really makes a huge difference. All I really have here in the way of dirt is dust.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:20 AM
Premium Sponsor

MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
pages/Glistening-Perfection/103167802903
Quote:
Originally Posted by squid
My garage has horrible dust so I've been using one. I had horrible scratches in the paint mostly from a non-"touchless" car wash I've been going to but I wonder if my CCD had contributed? The Mas has really thin paint.

TIA
Why would you ever take a car like that through a car wash and use the Cal Duster? It's your car and you're the one making the payments; you can do whatever you damn well please But, a car like that deserves better IMHO. The paint on Maserati is extremely thin. The car wash not only uses harsh chemicals to clean the car, but introduces swirls and scratches, The duster only adds to the damage. I've never been a fan of the duster and this is just my feelings here. I could never understand how an oily cotton fiber gets better when there's more dirt and grit on it. The best thing is to wash the car. There are other products such as Optimum No Rinse wash that basically only use up about 3 gallons of water to wash the car. You wash with the No Rinse and wipe off with microfiber towels. Zymol also makes a duster that we use at Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance when the cars are on the field http://www.glisteningperfection.com/duster.php. Hope this adds some light on the subject.

Why choose GP...WATCH OUR DOCUMENTARY

Follow Moe HERE

Old 03-25-2007, 10:28 AM

I didn't realize the damage the non-touchless wash did, otherwise I certainly wouldn't have been going there. I can't wash the car myself I live in an apartment building and we have no hose, no driveway and no drain. I'll check out that duster, thanks.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:28 AM

Tags
california, car, cars, code, duster, dusters, hurt, maserati, nonscratching, paint, promotional, scratch, scratched, touchless, wash