Go Back   6speedonline.com Forums > Italian > Ferrari
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ferrari Discussion on everything Ferrari related; F40, F50, Enzo, F430, Testarossa, to the Ferrari 599, 458
Sponsored By CNC Motors Inc

What is the true cost of ownership of a Ferrari?

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-29-2008, 12:15 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: socal
Posts: 107
Rep Power: 12
hootpie is on a distinguished road
What is the true cost of ownership of a Ferrari?

Everyone knows how much they cost, but how much do they cost to own?

Let's say you buy a brand new F430 and drive it 12,000 miles per year. How much would you be spending each year on oil changes, scheduled maintenance, and things like that?

If you guys could break it down for me (e.g. oil changes = $xxx, maintenance = $xxxx, gas = $xxxx, insurance = $xxxx) I'd appreciate it...I've always been curious about this.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-29-2008, 03:33 AM
Looney2N's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Waxhaw, NC
Posts: 134
Rep Power: 12
Looney2N is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hootpie View Post
Everyone knows how much they cost, but how much do they cost to own?

Let's say you buy a brand new F430 and drive it 12,000 miles per year. How much would you be spending each year on oil changes, scheduled maintenance, and things like that?

If you guys could break it down for me (e.g. oil changes = $xxx, maintenance = $xxxx, gas = $xxxx, insurance = $xxxx) I'd appreciate it...I've always been curious about this.
This should be good.......................
__________________
C2S/Meteor Gray
"Hey, let me hold the dollar, Bill"

"Too many rules..........too little time!!!"
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-29-2008, 03:42 AM
KandyRedCoi's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SoCal/NV/AZ
Age: 35
Posts: 1,140
Rep Power: 52
KandyRedCoi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to KandyRedCoi
s u b s c r i b e d
__________________
are you strapped???
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-29-2008, 04:19 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: OC
Posts: 151
Rep Power: 13
socal is on a distinguished road
exactly
$7020.92


hehe....hummmm

I don't think your going to get much of an answer from many people

I wish I could help
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-29-2008, 05:50 AM
MrEdS4's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 374
Rep Power: 28
MrEdS4 is just really niceMrEdS4 is just really niceMrEdS4 is just really niceMrEdS4 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to MrEdS4
I can help some but these things are very unpredictable.

You need a major service every 15,000 miles @ about $3-5,000 depending on how much you need done.

You need oil and other fluids every 3-5000 miles @ $400 or so.

You will go through a set of tires @ about $1,200.

You may need brakes depending on whether or not you have carbon ones, $1,000.

You can anticipate 3-5 misc. repairs that tend to be $500-2,000 each.

Your depreciation costs will be massive. I averaged the depreciation on 05 430 coupes for sale in the US a few months ago and by my calculations, the depreciation cost per mile was $3.77. Yes, each mile you drive your car, it is worth about $3.77 less.

Expect to pay $5-8 per mile. Could be a bit less, could be a bit more.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-29-2008, 08:30 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: brooklyn
Posts: 19
Rep Power: 0
QQQQ is on a distinguished road
thanks for the info. It doesn't seem too bad....yet
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-29-2008, 08:31 AM
///M_Chap's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Rancho Santa Fe, CA
Posts: 613
Rep Power: 35
///M_Chap is a jewel in the rough///M_Chap is a jewel in the rough///M_Chap is a jewel in the rough///M_Chap is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to ///M_Chap
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEdS4 View Post
I can help some but these things are very unpredictable.

You need a major service every 15,000 miles @ about $3-5,000 depending on how much you need done.

You need oil and other fluids every 3-5000 miles @ $400 or so.

You will go through a set of tires @ about $1,200.

You may need brakes depending on whether or not you have carbon ones, $1,000.

You can anticipate 3-5 misc. repairs that tend to be $500-2,000 each.

Your depreciation costs will be massive. I averaged the depreciation on 05 430 coupes for sale in the US a few months ago and by my calculations, the depreciation cost per mile was $3.77. Yes, each mile you drive your car, it is worth about $3.77 less.

Expect to pay $5-8 per mile. Could be a bit less, could be a bit more.
Great write up...sounds pretty like a pretty accurate analyis...so if you were driving 12,000 miles a year you're looking at $6000-$9600 per year if you figure a payment at $5-$8 per mile, respectively....and then there's also the depreciation.
__________________
2005 Porsche Turbo S GT Silver|Black
2010 GTR Grey|Black
2005 Flint Grey|Two-Tone Charcoal E55 AMG
2005 Alpine White|Black E46 M3 6MT - Sold
2001 Anthracite|Black E39 M5 - Sold
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-29-2008, 08:39 AM
MrEdS4's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 374
Rep Power: 28
MrEdS4 is just really niceMrEdS4 is just really niceMrEdS4 is just really niceMrEdS4 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to MrEdS4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M_Chap View Post
Great write up...sounds pretty like a pretty accurate analyis...so if you were driving 12,000 miles a year you're looking at $6000-$9600 per year if you figure a payment at $5-$8 per mile, respectively....and then there's also the depreciation.
Add a zero. $6-10k per year is about the cost of fluids.
They are expensive, but guys like us think that they are worth it!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-29-2008, 11:26 AM
Gcalo's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: N Calif
Posts: 2,240
Rep Power: 101
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
Assessing the true cost of ownership is difficult. If you concern just maintenance, I can tell you that the 360's/430's are very reliable cars.

The 430's now use timing chains and not belts. So that maintenance cost/concern is not there, and, therefore, mileage services can now approximate mileage.

Oil changes- about $400.00 as stated.

Tires- at 12,000 miles per year you could go through a set about every 12-18 months. Next oversize tires from the OEM sizes will wear better.

Major services- there is a 5K which is about $1,000; there is a 15K which is about $1,500-$2,000; there is a 30K which is about $3K-$4K

So divide these up and you'll know.

Then if you are like most of us you'd spend $ on floor mats, toys, new rims, etc.

So what's the actual cost? Hard to know.

It's for sure it's a whole lot more than owning a Chevy but nothing comes close to the experience.

Forget depreciation. That's made up in the enjoyment.

You can't own a Ferrari and have the calculator handy. They don't go together.

If you don't think you can do it, don't!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-29-2008, 11:44 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 11
Rep Power: 0
Napolis is on a distinguished road
I bought a new TR in 88. I drove it 155K miles did 8 major services. ALL in it came to $2.50 per mile.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-29-2008, 11:55 AM
Gcalo's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: N Calif
Posts: 2,240
Rep Power: 101
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napolis View Post
I bought a new TR in 88. I drove it 155K miles did 8 major services. ALL in it came to $2.50 per mile.
That's what I call enjoyment at a reasonable price.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-29-2008, 11:55 AM
JoeyG's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philly Suburbs
Age: 27
Posts: 2,770
Rep Power: 130
JoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud of
Well, a brand new 430 will cost NOTHING to maintain for three years...

__________________
08 Cayman S
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-29-2008, 11:59 AM
///M_Chap's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Rancho Santa Fe, CA
Posts: 613
Rep Power: 35
///M_Chap is a jewel in the rough///M_Chap is a jewel in the rough///M_Chap is a jewel in the rough///M_Chap is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to ///M_Chap
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyG View Post
Well, a brand new 430 will cost NOTHING to maintain for three years...

except for the premium you are paying to buy one brand new haha.....
__________________
2005 Porsche Turbo S GT Silver|Black
2010 GTR Grey|Black
2005 Flint Grey|Two-Tone Charcoal E55 AMG
2005 Alpine White|Black E46 M3 6MT - Sold
2001 Anthracite|Black E39 M5 - Sold
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-29-2008, 12:04 PM
Gcalo's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: N Calif
Posts: 2,240
Rep Power: 101
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyG View Post
Well, a brand new 430 will cost NOTHING to maintain for three years...

This is incorrect. The car is under mechanical factory warranty not service!

All the above outlined is applicable.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-29-2008, 11:29 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: socal
Posts: 107
Rep Power: 12
hootpie is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the replies guys...definitely answered my questions.
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 11:29 PM
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
360, 599, comparison, cost, costs, ferrari, gallardo, gtb, lamborghini, maintain, maintenance, ownership, pay, scheduled, year


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Join 6SpeedOnline
Visit our Sponsors

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:26 AM.


Secure Backup