Ferrari Discussion on everything Ferrari related; F40, F50, Enzo, F430, Testarossa, to the Ferrari 599, 458

Ferrari 246GT (Dino) Detail and Paint Correction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 12:21 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Ferrari 246GT (Dino) Detail and Paint Correction

I must admit, whenever I work on a classic, I get a bit carried away. This Ferrari 246GT was a lot of fun. Overall, this was a 3-day project totaling a little over 22 hours. I wanted to get across the scope of work involved in reconditioning a classic such as this Dino. I could have gone for another 22 hours, but I had to hold myself back. I hope you guys enjoy this thread as much as I did working on this gem.

Last edited by MoeMistry; 03-25-2009 at 01:31 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:22 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Tires and Wheels: 20 minutes

Tires and Wheels are cleaned using a citrus-based cleaner and a pH balanced wheel cleanser

Washing and Drying Exterior Paintwork: 45 minutes

Paint is washed using deionized water, 100% Australian Sheepskin Wash Mitt, and a mild plant-based soap

I always work in small sections in order to keep the surface wet. This helps avoid drying the soap along with the dirt to the car's paint surface

I then rinse my mitt before dunking it back into the clean soap bucket. This helps flush out any dirt I just picked up and not contaminate the clean soap bucket

The soap is then rinsed off the car. The key is to never let the surface of the paint dry. Constantly irrigate the finish

The exterior is dried using a microfiber drying cloth and further dried using a filtered blower

Last edited by MoeMistry; 03-25-2009 at 01:40 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:22 AM
Premium Sponsor
Day 2

Sometimes it's easier to remove parts to properly clean

Last edited by MoeMistry; 03-25-2009 at 01:41 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:23 AM
Premium Sponsor
Interior Cleaning and Conditioning: 210 minutes

The ashtray took a good 30 minutes to clean and polish. I'm glad I didn't cut my fingers along the sharp edges

Polished using an all-natural towelette which contain lactic acid, milk, as an active ingredient

Last edited by MoeMistry; 03-25-2009 at 01:45 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:23 AM
Premium Sponsor

I don't know why the mirror was designed this way. Once again, opening Pandora's Box

The interior should have a subtle satin look

All leather surfaces were conditioned using a natural beef tallow conditioner with banana oil and aloe vera

Last edited by MoeMistry; 03-25-2009 at 01:49 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:24 AM
Premium Sponsor
Prepare exterior for polishing: 240 minutes

I'm pretty sure where everything will go......

A lot of wax residue...this step took way longer thane anticipated. It had to be done though

Last edited by MoeMistry; 03-25-2009 at 01:52 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:24 AM
Premium Sponsor
Paint Correction: 480 minutes

Only two pads for the whole car......

OK...maybe a few more than two. This was a single-stage paint where the clearcoat and pigment are mixed together. I measured the paint prior to polishing and there were some high reading, ranging from 200 microns to some areas as high as 600 microns

The whole car was polished using the FLEX random orbital polisher

Last edited by MoeMistry; 03-25-2009 at 01:55 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:25 AM
Premium Sponsor
Re-assembly of parts: 210 minutes

I ended up replacing all these gaskets, or rubber, that the previous restorer installed

Polished light housing

Polishing lights

Polishing license plate

Last edited by MoeMistry; 03-25-2009 at 01:59 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:26 AM
Premium Sponsor

Polished chrome bumpers

Last edited by MoeMistry; 03-25-2009 at 02:00 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:26 AM
Premium Sponsor

Last edited by MoeMistry; 03-25-2009 at 01:08 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:27 AM
Premium Sponsor
Hand polish and wax: 100 minutes

Hand polish using all-natural paint cleanser containing montan oil, apricot kernel oil, and cocoamide. This step is crucial to gain further depth and bring out the warmth in the paint

Hand wax using one of the world's rarest natural carnauba waxes. Talk about a sensual experience

The wax is warmed in palms of hand, then gently massaged into the paint. I can feel anything I may have missed during this step. If all the prep work was done properly, the surface is smooth as silk

Glass surfaces are cleaned and polished. Meguiar's Detailer Line Glass Cleaner is quite possibly the finest out there. I've been using it since 2004 and haven't seen anything better

The glass can make or break a detail in my opnion. Our GP MicroGlass towels leave a streak-free surface

Last edited by MoeMistry; 03-25-2009 at 02:08 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:27 AM
Premium Sponsor

Last edited by MoeMistry; 03-25-2009 at 01:23 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:28 AM
Premium Sponsor

I enjoyed this detail very much. It was a change from the newer cars I work on daily. I feel it's up to us to carry the torch for these classics and they should be cared for with respect and dignity. The owner of this Dino didn't expect a Concours outcome. We were realistic and focused on making this Dino the best she can look. A detail of this scope should be done every 12-18 months depending on maintenance. The paint correction portion shouldn't have to be done again if cared for properly.

So for those of you fortunate enough to have classics like this, please treat them right. It's not too difficult to care fore these older automobiles properly. The right tools, right technique, and a little TLC is all that's needed.

Last edited by MoeMistry; 03-25-2009 at 02:13 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:43 AM
D!Tailed is on a distinguished road
Fantastic work Moe!!! Gotta love how nicely single stage paint comes out!!

So I may have missed it, but what was the total time spent on the car?

D!

Old 03-25-2009, 07:44 AM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by D!Tailed
Fantastic work Moe!!! Gotta love how nicely single stage paint comes out!!

So I may have missed it, but what was the total time spent on the car?

D!
Thanks for looking....the whole process took about 22 hours over 3 days.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Ferrari 246GT (Dino) Detail and Paint Correction