Ferrari Discussion on everything Ferrari related; F40, F50, Enzo, F430, Testarossa, to the Ferrari 599, 458

Drove a 458 Italia in Maranello the other day...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 05:34 PM
white)2abbit will become famous soon enough
Arrow Drove a 458 Italia in Maranello the other day...

Just got back from Italy (after spending 10 days in Israel) and thought I'd share my Ferrari experience with everyone.

I realize this is quite long, but hope some of you will make an effort to read through it all. For those that want it short, I've provided some "coles notes".

First, a few things about me:

Coles notes: I'm 23, have a fair amount of driving experience, but am no expert.

I'm 23, have driven quite a few sports cars, mostly turbocharged Japanese cars (180sx, 240sx, Stealth TT, WRX, etc.) and had the opportunity to drive an F355 Spyder when I was 17 (for 30 mins, mostly on a straight, boring highway).

I have a very small amount of track time under my belt, but tons of driving experience on public roads (and no, I don't mean street racing), as well as a considerable amount of Gran Turismo seat time. Yes, it's a "just a video game", but professional Formula 1, rally, drift, and Nascar drivers will tell you it's about 90% of the real thing (and yes, I know there are other, better sims out there). I've held some top rankings for time trial and drifting, including the number one drift record for a couple weeks on a particular track.

Just trying to get the point across that I'm not a complete driving "noob", but obviously have a lot less experience than some of you.

On to my story.

Coles notes: Rented an Alfa Romeo Mito, headed for a famous road in the Alps, connecting Italy and Switzerland.

My friend and I flew to Rome from Tel Aviv and immediately decided to rent a car to head to the Passo de Stelvio, aka Top Gear's Number 1 driving road in the world.

We ended up with an Alfa Romeo Mito, which was a blast to drive.

Coles notes: Stopped in Modena for a night, went to Ferrari in Maranello the next morning.

On our way, we decided to stop and spend a night in Modena. The next morning, I convinced my friend that we should make a pit stop at the Ferrari factory as we were so close (he is not at ALL a car guy, otherwise this would have been an obvious move).

After driving around Maranello trying to figure out how to get in the factory (and sneaking a photo of a 599XX through the gates), we went in to the Ferrari store, across from the factory. When checking out (bought a cool coffee mug), I asked the cashier if the factory was open. She replied saying it wasn't available for public viewing, but that we could check out the museum.

On the way to the museum, a 458 Italia passed by. I was SO mad that I didn't have a chance to snap a photo. We arrived at the museum, parked the car, and proceeded to walk towards the entrance. As we were about to enter, we were approached by a great looking Italian woman who asked "do you want to drive a Ferrari?". I was quite shocked. My friend and I definitely look quite young (especially the way we were dressed), and thought it sounded too good to be true.

Coles notes: Approached by a hot Italian woman, offered to drive a Ferrari of my choice. Picked the 458 Italia (red).

We followed her to a place next to the museum, offering test drives of various Ferrari's. They had a few to choose from, namely an F430, 458 Italia, and a California. I obviously opted for the 458 Italia, and chose to drive for 30 mins (cost was about 270 Euros, which includes a DVD recording of your drive – which unfortunately doesn't have sound and is quite crappy quality). My friend decided to drive for 10 minutes.

My friend went first (the co-pilot is an employee of Ferrari: a test driver). When he returned, he had a huge smile on his face (and he hates cars). The only thing he told me before I got in was "He pressed my leg down to make me go faster. A bunch of times".

Coles notes:Holy ****.

I immediately became ecstatic, as my previous experience with paying-to-drive-a-Ferrari was less than exciting. The guy who came with me when I drove the 355 wouldn't let me accelerate hard, rev over 4,000 RPM, or do anything than go a bit above the speed limit on an empty, straight highway. I don't blame him – I was 17, and driving recklessly is against the law....but nonetheless, not so great.

I didn't waste anytime. I hopped in, and immediately responded with "manual" when asked if I wanted to shift the gears myself, or have it occur automatically. I've never driven paddle-shift before, but it was all-too familiar from my Gran Turismo experience (with a Logitech G25). I pulled out of the parking lot, and there I went.

While I won't get into numbers, or specific details, I WILL say that I was able to FULLY experience the 458 (or as close to it as you can get without being on a racetrack).

The car was insanely fast. The fastest car I'd driven previously was my modified 180sx (roughly 275 RWHP, 2500-ish pound curb weight). The 458 Italia was a menace in comparison. The car handled great. Absorbed road imperfections a lot better than my S14 on HSD Coilovers, and obviously put my 240sx's handling to shame. My only gripe was the car felt too much like it was on rails – but I'm sure that would change with the car's "Race" setting (if it has one, or by turning traction control and other driving aids off).

In summary, the car and driving experience was incredible.

The drive consisted of a brief tour of downtown Maranello, followed by a quick trip to the Italian countryside, which is full of curves, elevation, banking turns, and, essentially, driving sex. Comparing the roads in Toronto to Italy is like comparing Nascar to the Nurburgring.

Oh, I forgot to mention – the Ferrari test driver complimented me on my driving abilities 3 separate times. I don't like to brag, but this was an awesome thing to hear coming from someone with such a prestigious position in the "professional driving industry".

Coles notes: Is that a 430 Scuderia? Can I drive that too? Are you serious?

After coming back to reality, my friend and I decided we better hit the road if we're going to make it to the Stelvio Pass (we had another 4 hours to go and it was already 1 pm, and still hadn't eaten lunch).

As we're about to enter our Alfa, a yellow 430 Scuderia SCREAMS at me from across the street. Is that another Ferrari test-driving place? Do they let people drive the Scuderia? No way.

Rear shot (not the same 458 I drove, but they had one as well):

I had no choice but to postpone lunch and ask my friend to wait for me while I checked to see if I could drive it. I walked in and asked if I could drive the 430 Scud. She replied with a quick "yes". It was a done deal from there – this time only 200 Euros for 30 minutes, + $20 Euros for a DVD with a recording of your drive on it. I saw a sample video playing in the store, and was instantly sold. This time it was an HD video, with sound.

Coles notes: Holy F#CK!NG ****.

The drive went exactly as it did with the 458 Italia – except for two things:

1) There was a lot more traffic
2) The 430 Scuderia was even better

I'm debating whether or not I want to post the video of my drive on the Internet, but I will say it's quite the souvenir.

Here are a few screen-shots taken from the video:

2 car pass:

Passing a Ferrari California:

I did a bit more chatting with this guy. I guess the most interesting thing I asked him was what his favourite Ferrari was (seeing as though he said he's driven pretty much every car they've ever built). His response – the 430 Scuderia. This brought my already crazy experience to the next level as I was currently DRIVING this Ferrari test driver's favourite Ferrari as he responded.

I wonder if the Scuderia/Challenge Stradale version of the 458 Italia will rival it, whenever it comes out.

Coles notes: Passo de Stelvio.

For those of you who haven't heard about this road, check out this Top Gear clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZm8VFCKNj4

Since this post is already turning into an essay, I'll cut this short.

The drive from Modena to the Alps was stunning – and even more stunning once we really got into the mountains.

Unfortunately the Stelvio Pass itself was blocked by a huge truck – we asked the locals and they said they had to close it for one day due to a large snowfall. Bad news for us as we had to head back to Rome the next day to fly home

Good news was the drive TO the point at which they blocked the road was quite epic – the nicest driving I'd ever experienced.

Shot of our rental car with the beautiful mountain roads:

Unfortunately I have over 1,500 photos to sort, modify, and upload, so you'll have to deal with my crappy iPhone photos for now (too bad iPhone 4 wasn't out yet).

If there's interest I'll post my good photos in this thread when they're ready, or you can always check out my Flickr page.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:27 PM
rossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud of
Great story............but where are the pix of the good looking Italian women?

Old 06-11-2010, 07:40 PM
ltrrtl218 is on a distinguished road
I drove the f430 from the exact same place back in november while I was there(i think i had the same co driver as you too). I did the tour of the pagani lambo and ferrari factories. I actually almost spun the f430 out because it was wet and was gettiing kind of reckless in it haha. Had to get my moneys worth lol. Sounds like you had a great time.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:30 PM
'Trust' is a glorious beacon of light'Trust' is a glorious beacon of light'Trust' is a glorious beacon of light'Trust' is a glorious beacon of light'Trust' is a glorious beacon of light'Trust' is a glorious beacon of light
I'm going back to Italy in August, most definitely doing this.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:43 AM
Yani can only hope to improve
Great post, very interesting read and what an opportunity to drive those cars, especially with a Ferrari test driver sitting next to you! Makes me want to head off to Italy

Old 06-12-2010, 01:47 AM
jherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to behold
I drove at the shop you showed the red F458, back in early May. That place is called Push Start. I think I drove by the shop you used. The Motorstars tour uses them (HIGHLY recommended) for their Ferrari drives (and they have cheaper merchandise than the official Ferrari Store). It was 200 Euro for 20 minutes; an additional 20 Euro for an onboard DVD. It had sound, but the windows were halfway down for most of the ride. I did end up having some moments w/ the windows fully up. It feels and sounds exactly like a shifter kart. I dunno who sat w/ me but he had the current Scuderia Ferrari uniforms (barcode Marlboro logos abound).

The Yellow Scuderia was driven by a couple who came from Canada. They also offer an F430 and a California.

Last edited by jherbias; 06-12-2010 at 01:52 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:18 AM
bavorak is a name known to allbavorak is a name known to allbavorak is a name known to allbavorak is a name known to allbavorak is a name known to allbavorak is a name known to all
What a wonderful story, well worth the money and an experience that will be with you forever. Although not pocket change am surprised at the caliber of Ferrari available to test drive ( a real drive) for what is a very reasonable amount.

I'm thinking this is a must for any enthusiast to experience if vacationing in Italy.

Way to makea great trip even more memorable!

Old 06-12-2010, 05:54 PM
emadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond repute
Great story!!

I've never been on the Stelvio pass, but I'm going to go there this summer...And I think I will stop in Modena to drive a Ferrari like you did..I didn't know it was possible, until now!

Whenever you (or any of you 6speeders) will come back here, let me know. I will be super happy to give you some good tips and to have some fun with you.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:41 PM
DD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud of
Sounds like a great time...i went and used motor star tours..went to pagani, lamborghini, ferrari...was amazing...didnt do the ferrari drive thou

Old 06-13-2010, 01:15 PM
GoingGreen is on a distinguished road
Wow, man your pretty lucky. I haven't even seen one yet out here in cali. Great Thread!

Old 06-13-2010, 07:39 PM
Lotus907 is on a distinguished road
For every person there are significant events in their lives that will not only stay with them forever but be remember with more clarity than most. You just had one. Lucky bum.

:-)

Old 06-13-2010, 08:07 PM
Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !
Post the video!!!!

Old 06-14-2010, 12:00 AM
SCEye has a spectacular aura aboutSCEye has a spectacular aura aboutSCEye has a spectacular aura about
I'm jealous...

Old 06-14-2010, 07:11 AM
Black997Turbo is a jewel in the roughBlack997Turbo is a jewel in the roughBlack997Turbo is a jewel in the rough
wow that is awesome, I need to go to italy just for this

Old 06-14-2010, 11:28 AM
novae500 is infamous around these partsnovae500 is infamous around these parts
wow, seems like a one in a lifetime experience (for those who won't be buying a Ferrari anytime soon, like me:-))

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Drove a 458 Italia in Maranello the other day...