Ferrari Discussion on everything Ferrari related; F40, F50, Enzo, F430, Testarossa, to the Ferrari 599, 458

DBS vs 599 Anyone with real world experience

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 06:37 AM
cvprez will become famous soon enough
DBS vs 599 Anyone with real world experience

As the title states I'm considering either a DBS or a Ferrari 599 and would love to hear from someone with real world experience with both cars. What was good, what was bad, etc. It would be a car I would actually daily drive as much as possible, and probably never track so let me know your thoughts if you have them. Thanks

Old 08-27-2014, 08:20 AM
tws_andrew is a name known to alltws_andrew is a name known to alltws_andrew is a name known to alltws_andrew is a name known to alltws_andrew is a name known to alltws_andrew is a name known to all
I have driven both but only a few times but it has been a long time. 599 rides harder and feels less GT. DBS would be the better daily IMO and the interior is light years ahead to me

Old 08-27-2014, 02:23 PM
Well F car guys - I posted the same question in the Aston Forum and I've got 15 posts telling me how much better the DBS is than the 599 and the only one to post here tells me the same thing. I'm sure you're all busy and would rather I buy an Aston to maintain your exclusivity but I was really hoping for some insight from this group.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:07 PM
riozilla is on a distinguished road
You should post in the 612/599 group on Ferrari Chat

Old 08-27-2014, 08:35 PM
CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !
Well, Aston guys would say an Aston is better than a Ferrari.

Just one thing to keep in mind: Aston's staying power as a corporation. Ferrari isn't going anywhere. There is broad dealer support, and the 599 may have 8-year included service (check on that to be sure).

While I do love the lines on the Astons (and almost bought a Vanq S), they all seem a bit too similar styling-wise. That's not a bad thing, necessarily, but they do all sort of look the same.

I would tend to agree with the comment that a Ferrari is more track oriented (the 599 GTO and 599XX certainly are) as compared to the Aston. If you're looking for a more comfortable ride, the Aston may be the better choice. Throw a Quicksilver exhaust on it and enjoy. They sound and look marvelous. And, by now, the depreciation has made it a sub-$100K car.

CW

Old 08-28-2014, 08:00 AM
CJPatel has a spectacular aura aboutCJPatel has a spectacular aura about
Look into a guy named Plastique999, he's had multiple Ferraris and Astons. He's a pretty good and informative guy.

IMO test drive both, you can't go wrong. Can't really comment because I had the V8 Vantage, and now a Ferrari F430 Spider.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:07 AM
"I would tend to agree with the comment that a Ferrari is more track oriented (the 599 GTO and 599XX certainly are) as compared to the Aston. If you're looking for a more comfortable ride, the Aston may be the better choice. Throw a Quicksilver exhaust on it and enjoy. They sound and look marvelous. And, by now, the depreciation has made it a sub-$100K car."

CW - no DBS is a sub $100K car at this time unless it had a ton of miles and a salvage title - A low mile DBS is going to run $120k - $150k depending on year/miles - so not that much different than a 599. Actually the 599 has depreciated more since it probably started close to $100k more.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:30 AM
CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cvprez
CW - no DBS is a sub $100K car at this time unless it had a ton of miles and a salvage title - A low mile DBS is going to run $120k - $150k depending on year/miles - so not that much different than a 599. Actually the 599 has depreciated more since it probably started close to $100k more.
Perhaps I'm a little ahead of the market, and I agree that the premium examples are still a bit higher, but they're getting close. And, Aston's reputation is for depreciating like a stone in water.

Reserve on this one is $108K...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aston-Martin...US_Cars_Trucks

CW

Old 09-11-2014, 06:21 AM
wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !
DBS gear box is just crap, I mean really crap, my neighbour here has one and he never drives the thing except into town to get his Sat morning milk (he owns about 11 marquee name cars)....... personally I love the look but the performance to me (driving it 10 times or so) I was underwhelmed

Old 09-17-2014, 01:17 PM
tortesq1 has a spectacular aura abouttortesq1 has a spectacular aura about
I'm a bit surprised that there aren't more responses. I concur that you try the 599/612 section at Fchat for more feedback to your query. Its tough to deny the beauty of the DBS. AM is 2nd to no other manufacturer in the looks department. The AM interior is truly beautiful, but the modern F car is very very close to the AM in that regard. Many like the AM V12 growl better than an F cars too. That being said, the plain truth is that the DBS will be a very weak performer (ie. acceleration and handling) relative to the 599 (particularly an HGTE). For the record, the F1 tranny 599 is a super quick car. It will do 0-60 in approx. 3.2 sec. and the 1/4 in approx. 11.1 seconds (give or take a few tenths). Point is that the 599 will give you scorching performance with a V12 howl that will put a smile on your face all day long. The DBS just can't compete. Its tranny is garbage compared to the 599. AM knows this to ! Its all about price points and how comfortable or crazy you want to/need to be. I felt that my 458 was a bit soft and now my 599GTO fits the bill perfectly. One ride in a GTO and the extreme engine shreik and howling with non-stop shock and awe moments all around you will have you taking a 2nd mortgage out on your house to acquire one. I get that the GTO isn't what your asking about, but like I said, its all about the price points. You really need to acquire some actual seat time prior to making a decision. Best of luck !

Old 10-13-2014, 09:47 PM
Global Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to behold
Old 10-14-2014, 05:55 AM
The car you have labeled as a 599GTO is erroneous. Its a 599 Alonso special. If you can find ANY US spec GTO for a # starting with a 3 I'd think you'd have a pretty heavy bidding war Kindly correct the listing. Thank you.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:57 AM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by tortesq1
The car you have labeled as a 599GTO is erroneous. Its a 599 Alonso special. If you can find ANY US spec GTO for a # starting with a 3 I'd think you'd have a pretty heavy bidding war Kindly correct the listing. Thank you.

Actually the link goes to a number of 599s being sold by various dealers around the country. You are correct in that the first one is most certainly a Alonso and not a GTO. That dealer, Foreign Cars Italia, has the car listed as a GTO. Shame on them!

Ferrari of Long Island had a beautiful GTO not too long a ago. Did you trade in your 458 for that one? If so, congrats! Actually, congrats regardless of the GTO you have. Magnificent cars.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by lacrosse
Actually the link goes to a number of 599s being sold by various dealers around the country. You are correct in that the first one is most certainly a Alonso and not a GTO. That dealer, Foreign Cars Italia, has the car listed as a GTO. Shame on them!

Ferrari of Long Island had a beautiful GTO not too long a ago. Did you trade in your 458 for that one? If so, congrats! Actually, congrats regardless of the GTO you have. Magnificent cars.
Yes it was the 599GTO at F of LI. In July, 2014 I traded in my 13 458 Italia for the GTO (nero setoso). The GTO is a completely different animal than the 458. I miss my 458 as it was a wonderful DD but the GTO is 100X more raw and visceral. The GTO is an extremely special beast and unequivocally THE best drivers car I have ever been in. If you want to hear what a V12 F1 engine sounded like in the heyday of the 80's/90's listen to a GTO downshifting. The sound alone makes people slam on their brakes. Pure shock and awe. Guess you'd say I'm a bit enamored by her. Anyway, I'd buy a 2nd one in a heartbeat for the right price. So when I saw the listing for a "599GTO" in the 3's I jumped, only to be disappointed by the mislabeled advertisement. Made only 125 US spec. GTO's (599 for the World) so finding a reasonably priced US spec GTO with delivery miles is a bit of a unicorn. Oh well.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:25 PM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by tortesq1
Yes it was the 599GTO at F of LI. In July, 2014 I traded in my 13 458 Italia for the GTO (nero setoso). The GTO is a completely different animal than the 458. I miss my 458 as it was a wonderful DD but the GTO is 100X more raw and visceral. The GTO is an extremely special beast and unequivocally THE best drivers car I have ever been in. If you want to hear what a V12 F1 engine sounded like in the heyday of the 80's/90's listen to a GTO downshifting. The sound alone makes people slam on their brakes. Pure shock and awe. Guess you'd say I'm a bit enamored by her. Anyway, I'd buy a 2nd one in a heartbeat for the right price. So when I saw the listing for a "599GTO" in the 3's I jumped, only to be disappointed by the mislabeled advertisement. Made only 125 US spec. GTO's (599 for the World) so finding a reasonably priced US spec GTO with delivery miles is a bit of a unicorn. Oh well.

Congrats. It is a beautiful car. I am not too embarassed to admit I lusted heavily when I saw it. I have never driven the GTO, just a "base" 599. What a thrill that was. I can only imagine that the GTO is 1000x better.

Hope to see you out in the wild some day. I could spend hours just listening to you drive by.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DBS vs 599 Anyone with real world experience