Ferrari Discussion on everything Ferrari related; F40, F50, Enzo, F430, Testarossa, to the Ferrari 599, 458

Switch from GT3 to F430?

Old 02-27-2015, 01:36 PM
michaelm will become famous soon enoughmichaelm will become famous soon enough
Switch from GT3 to F430?

Hey guys, I'm thinking of making a switch from my .1 GT3 to an F430 (looking to stay 3 pedal, though they're posing very difficult to find, especially if I go coupe). I would just like some input from anyone that has done such, or the other way around. The maintenance on the older Ferrari's is what always set me back, but after doing some reading, it seems that the F430's are pretty reliable and maintenance cost are pretty reasonable, especially considering they run a timing chain and not belts. So if anyone is looking for a really clean .1 GT3, Black on Black with a flicker over 9K, one should be available soon.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:19 PM
m3995 has a spectacular aura aboutm3995 has a spectacular aura about
I owned both, still have the F430, both are great cars. F430 is a much better street car, better sound, love the F1, (know you want the manual), just a blast to drive, and my wife likes the ride in sport mode.

GT3 rocks on the track, F430 did not, GT3 is fun to drive but much harsher on the street. I stopped driving the GT3 on the street and only drove the F430, and just used the GT3 for track fun.

In summary unless you track much you'll love the F430, try the F1 it's a blast!

Old 03-16-2015, 07:36 PM
MrMiggy is a jewel in the roughMrMiggy is a jewel in the roughMrMiggy is a jewel in the rough
I just made the switch from a 997 Turbo to a F430. Echo the comments above. The F430 is a ton more fun to drive, even though the Turbo certainly felt faster. I held out for a 6 speed F430, but ultimately they are so damn hard to find, I pulled the trigger on a local red/tan F430 with a great service history. I'm really enjoying the F1 so far!

Old 03-18-2015, 11:14 PM
iexoticcars has a spectacular aura aboutiexoticcars has a spectacular aura about
I think its a great move. If you can handle it financially of course... The F430 was my favorite car until the 458 came out.

Old 03-19-2015, 02:47 PM
michaelm will become famous soon enoughmichaelm will become famous soon enough
As much as I love the looks of the F430, I test drove an F1 and wasn't all that impressed. I'm sure I would have liked the 3 pedal more, but once I got back into my GT3 all felt right again. Decided to keep my girl.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:21 AM
ruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to behold
Did exactly what your thinking...traded 08 gt3 for a 6spd f430...fun factor sound feel looks all go to f430...however I felt build quality and power is where it was lacking..recently traded that on almost new 6spd LP550-2...so far impressed

Old 05-01-2015, 07:42 AM
vjd3 is a glorious beacon of lightvjd3 is a glorious beacon of lightvjd3 is a glorious beacon of lightvjd3 is a glorious beacon of lightvjd3 is a glorious beacon of lightvjd3 is a glorious beacon of light
I just signed the papers yesterday (on 4-30!) for an 06 F430 Berlinetta, 6-speed, one owner, 5k miles ... I traded my 991 for it, will definitely miss the Porsche (I drive that car everywhere) but looking forward to taking delivery on this one.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:19 AM
Nurburg611 will become famous soon enoughNurburg611 will become famous soon enough
What a beauty. 6-speed is the way to go. Will be a rather value stable Ferrari buy at today's prices (yes I know it's an oxymoron).

I have been (and still am) considering a similar move. Sold the 7.2 GT3 in up market, have a GT4 on order which basically will become a hopefully worry-free and low maintenance, dedicated track car.

What holds me back on the F430 is just quality and maintenance. There is no doubt the looks and sound of the F430 are intoxicating. Test drove a few with F1 and found the F1 shifting to be very clunky but I actually don't have a problem with that. The F1 is very maintenance heavy and wears out quickly. H gated manual still the way to go.

But manifold and e-diff valves problems are super common. Meaning I have two friends with F430 and both went through costly repairs not to mention sticky threads on Ferrari chats with these problems. Also 5K a year for extended warranty is a joke. CPO for free anyone?

I think one can get lucky with a well maintained car and 1-2k out of pocket expenses per year if all goes well and the occasional 5-8k for larger rounds for example when new brakes or clutch are due (quoting F1 models here).

I personally appreciate the robustness of Porsche in general. And when you think Porsche maintenance is expensive, try $1,000 for a new reverse gear plastic button (also happened to friend of mine).

The 458 lost a lot of these kinks I think but then again it's 225k for a nicely optioned low mileage preowned. Once the 458 breaches the 200k mark I'll take a serious look at '12 models. 130-150k for an F430 seem like a good entry point into Ferrari land but it's the running costs that make me concerned if I can even afford one (emotionally). The answer is probably no.

Good choice again on 6 speed. Will become a classic very soon if not already. And hard to find..

Last edited by Nurburg611; 05-04-2015 at 10:43 AM.
Old 05-16-2015, 01:02 PM
jpohl402 will become famous soon enoughjpohl402 will become famous soon enough
430 IS a little more cost effective to run maintenance wise (vs. 360)

Old 05-19-2015, 10:11 AM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Try shooting for 458 Italia. For the money, that car is just above and beyond most cars on the current market. It's just does everything so well and fast. Words can not describe the improvement it has over the F430 and any 911.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:22 PM
frankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to all
I have a 2001 turbo that I have transformed into a track car. 75k miles on the clock and have hammered on her every possible mile.

Last year I picked up a beautiful 2007 F430 at Porsche North Houston with just under 10k miles. She is every bit as fun as my Porsche but with an amazing ride due to the reomagnetic suspension. The radio is worthless, but the rest of the car makes me smile!

The harsh reality is my turbo Porsche (even with the harsher ride due to the track oriented suspension) that is 8 years older and 5 times the miles feels much tighter, newer, sharper, with no squeaks and rattles anywhere!

Although the build quality of the Ferrari is nowhere near as good as my 15 year old track day Porsche, it certainly 'pushes all the right buttons' in the 'driver experience' category and creates a special memory with every drive.

Until someone offers me stupid money for my 6 speed berlinetta I'll be driving both cars for some time to come!

Old 05-26-2015, 09:06 PM
Cscat is a glorious beacon of lightCscat is a glorious beacon of lightCscat is a glorious beacon of lightCscat is a glorious beacon of lightCscat is a glorious beacon of lightCscat is a glorious beacon of light
The Porsche is a much better car, from a drivers' perspective. But there is something about the Italians that keeps you coming back. They give you that special feeling, and you don't really care about the lack of performance and quirks. Of course, rich people can have it all in one car (458 Speciale for example), but the older and slower cars will always have a special place in my heart. I would love to own a F355 as well, even though I know the performance and reliability are both very old school.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:47 PM
akshon is on a distinguished road
I sold my heavily modified 07 gt3 and bought a 07 F430 f-1 four years ago and have not looked back. Unless you are tracking a lot f430 is a better car in every way.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:42 AM
CoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really nice
It seems everyone's snatching up secondhand F430's now; congratulations to all!

Can anyone compare ownership of an F430 (or F360 even) to owning an Aston Martin DB9? I haven't gotten a chance to drive either but they're all on my short list for the next car in a couple years, assuming they don't randomly jump in value like the Testarossa has (anyone else remember seeing decent ones as low as $65k a couple years ago? Not so much anymore!).

Old 06-28-2015, 10:31 AM
BCS996TT is on a distinguished road
absolutely love my manual 430. Will be keeping this forever!!!

Last modern day NA ferrari with a 6spd manual tranny and a scream to die for!!!!

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Switch from GT3 to F430?