Ferrari Discussion on everything Ferrari related; F40, F50, Enzo, F430, Testarossa, to the Ferrari 599, 458

Ferrari very newbie

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 10:13 PM
DannyK is on a distinguished road
Ferrari very newbie

Hello to all. I've been reading the 6speed forums for some time, but this is my first post. I've been driving Porsche (a Boxster and a Boxster S, BMW's before that....."all lower" end models) for 15 years now. That's right not a 911 Turbo, not a GT3 or anything like that. Even did some tracking, but I didn't like it that much.

But now my financial position has changed dramatically for the better. $ is still a factor, but not anything like it had been.

Next spring I'm buying a new car. Until now, I've been considering, if and when they become available, all the latest Porsche high end models. I'm on 4 different waiting lists. I wanted the Porsche 960 but I doubt it'll become a reality. After much research....The only other car I'd consider is a Ferrari.

I don't want to buy used. I want new.

Maybe you guys went through the same thing, but considering a Ferrari (488 base) for the first time, for me, is not like strolling into a Chevy showroom. It's something I haven't experienced before. What was it like for you guys?

I know there's a limited allotment for the car. This may sound dumb, but does the whole process start by me walking into a dealership, throwing out questions, having a test drive, and so on? I've emailed two dealerships and never heard anything back. I get the feeling that I first have to learn the "secret handshake"?

I have no problem waiting for as long as it takes to get what I want.

Again this won't happen until the Spring. I'm aware of the waiting time, but I'm not sure exactly how long that is.

Thanks for your help and advice......DannyK

Last edited by DannyK; 09-26-2015 at 10:45 PM.
Old 09-27-2015, 01:57 AM
RandomName is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by DannyK
I don't want to buy used. I want new.
So is all the people ahead of you in line who have bought a new Ferrari from your local dealership for the last 10 years.

you can ask nicely and maybe they'll put your name on the list. depending on how things go you its probably a minimum wait of 2 years. or maybe when production on 488 is nearly over 4-5 years from now. Or never.

or they'll call you in about 2 years from now and give you an "opportunity" to buy a "used" 488 for sale for $50-$100k over MSRP.

Old 09-27-2015, 11:38 AM
Thanks....that's pretty much what I thought would happen.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:24 PM
CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !
Yup, sorry. You're not going to be able to walk in and buy a new 488. At best, you might be able to get someone to flip one to you for a big premium, but they risk damaging the relationship they have established with their dealer.

Buy a used car or two from your dealer, then, maybe, you can get on the list. By the time the Spider is announced, you could possibly be on it. Then, of course, you need to wait your turn for a build-slot.

By the time the dealer works down through the list, you may be looking at several years wait. The 488 will be THE hot car for a while, and the dealer only gets so many allocated. They can usually sell them 2x to 3x over, so they're reserved for existing customers to get.

CW

Old 11-03-2015, 03:38 PM
Thanks CW! That's how I thought it would work. So I've decided to look for a slightly used 458 Italia or Spider and purchasing it through a Ferrari dealer. In the meantime I'm trying to become as familiar with the Ferrari brand as I am with other makes. I've got until February to make a final decision. Thanks again for your help!

Old 11-03-2015, 07:35 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Used 458 are dropping around $150-180k. This makes them good value but you can expect prices to drop down to 120k in another 4 years.

Speciale may be apprciating over the next 10 years, if you ever keep it that long. V8 limited versions have a tendency to bottom out at $160k and go back up to $200-220k.

Forget about test driving 488 unless you know a Ferrari owner that has connections. 488 test drives were given to current 458 owners at special events such as pebble beach.

Any interest in mclaren 570 or 650? They are both under $200k. Expect steep depreciation though.

Old 11-27-2015, 05:56 PM
ecadwell is on a distinguished road
Sounds like others here have covered. You will have to start by buying used. Some people think that it helps to buy a used car from your local F-car dealer to help get the relationship started. I don't know if it's true or not. However, it will get you into a Ferrari sooner. The allotments for new mid-engined v8 models all go to established relationships.