Notices
Garage Forum Share pictures of your garage with the rest of the 6speedonline members. Learn about Garage flooring, painting, art, and more in this forum.

My DIY garage build

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 09:34 AM
GregBurt is on a distinguished road
My DIY garage build

I had a new house built in 2003 and it came with a 390 sq ft garage which i knew was always going to be too small. So I decided to build a bigger attached garage for all of my restoration projects, etc. Township zoning would only let me build up to half the square footage of the house in attached garage so to make a long story short I ended up with a 26x28 new garage. This build takes place over the past 4 years or so and ends up with where I am at the present. Due to my budget, I have completed all of the work myself with the exception of the concrete floor. I hope you enjoy my build thread. Thanks, Greg

first picture shows the house just after being completed in 2003, with a puny 19x20 or so garage.

Attached Images  
Old 11-09-2011, 09:39 AM
I needed to saw up and remove about 18 x 30 feet of concrete which I did with a rented concrete saw and a small excavator. The concrete slabs were stacked and used as fill behind the new garage. I also used the same rented excavator to dig the footings for the foundation. The day after I dug the footings, we had about 4" of rain. So I had to dig them a little deeper to get all of the mud out for a sturdy pour and let everything dry out a bit.

Attached Images    
Old 11-09-2011, 09:59 AM
Pouring the footings myself was a liitle more work than i thought due to the fact that i used bags of concrete and a portable mixer because i didnt want a cement truck to crack up my new driveway. the guys that poured my floor used motorized concrete buggies. I took a week off of work to lay the block. first time i ever laid block but im happy with the way it turnrd out and the price was right.

Attached Images    
Old 11-09-2011, 11:10 AM
The framing of the garage went faster than expected, since I only had three walls to do. I also did have some help from my dad and a friend setting the 28' scissor trusses for a cathedral ceiling. I wanted nearly 13 foot ceilings for a future lift.

Attached Images      
Old 11-09-2011, 11:14 AM
I also shingled the garage in one day, but I did splurge on the rooftop delivery for $50 bucks. Ive carried shingles before and its just not worth the pain to save a small amount of money.

Attached Images      
Old 11-09-2011, 11:18 AM
siding, doors, and windows were all that was left to finish it up before winter. Having the garage door with no windows was a mistake. I plan to replace the garage doors on both of my attached garages to ones that have a row of windows at the top. That's pretty much it for the outside. Now to the inside. will post pics later today.

Attached Images    
Old 11-09-2011, 12:09 PM
locus has a reputation beyond reputelocus has a reputation beyond reputelocus has a reputation beyond reputelocus has a reputation beyond reputelocus has a reputation beyond reputelocus has a reputation beyond reputelocus has a reputation beyond reputelocus has a reputation beyond reputelocus has a reputation beyond reputelocus has a reputation beyond reputelocus has a reputation beyond repute
wow...just amazing!!! You're a real DIY man

Old 11-09-2011, 12:50 PM
Thanks...I would have loved to have it professionally built, but I could only sell the wife on it if I could pay cash. And, I bought a bunch of new carpentry tools and learned some skill along the way. Couldn't have done it without the helpful staff at my local lumberyard. HomeDepot has good prices but they don't "go out of their way" to help unless you are a real contractor.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:12 PM
MartinF will become famous soon enough
Nice project! It's always fun to build something all by yourself and learning on the way.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:27 PM
Spec-BC is on a distinguished road
This is awesome, can you possibly PM the price(ballpark including all costs like tools) to do this by yourself because I would really like to do it some day.

Great work!

Ben

Old 11-10-2011, 05:05 AM
Im not shy about the cost. I have about 8 or 9 grand into it. Plus add about another thousand in tools, such as compressor, air nailers, etc. The floor was $2,200. Custom trusses for cathedral ceiling another $1,600. If you were to go with a standard truss that is in stock somewhere you could shave a $1,000 off the cost. Honestly, the most expensive part is the interior.....which I promised to add pics, but I want to get it cleaned up so it doesn't look like a bad episode of hoarders.....

Old 11-15-2011, 12:56 PM
wilmar13 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by GregBurt
Im not shy about the cost. I have about 8 or 9 grand into it. Plus add about another thousand in tools, such as compressor, air nailers, etc.
That is VERY reasonable. Great DIY job... the best investment you can make is always in yourself with the second best being tools and this project looks like a good investment for you.

I wish I had space to build an attached garage. Next house.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:52 PM
Rusker is on a distinguished road
Looks great!

Old 12-21-2011, 09:38 AM
GTS Jay has a spectacular aura aboutGTS Jay has a spectacular aura about
Excellent job! I love to see people doing stuff like this on their own. It probably would have cost you 3-4X that if you had someone do it for you. Well done!

Old 01-26-2012, 08:52 PM
John156e has a little shameless behaviour in the past
looks great