Notices
Garage Forum Share pictures of your garage with the rest of the 6speedonline members. Learn about Garage flooring, painting, art, and more in this forum.

QuickJack 3500 or 5000?

Old 07-21-2014, 02:00 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
QuickJack 3500 or 5000?

Been investigating Jacks for my 991 Porsche C2S.. as well as other cars

Don't have the space for a 2 post, and I like the Max Jack but, my garage slab probably doesn't meet it's safety requirements for the studs/Bolts. Probably also a bit more trouble than I'd prefer for occasional tire, brake etc work..

I like the QuickJack 3500 or 5000 as it seems very portable and I can store away.

However, from a couple of comments I saw, the QuickJack has a span for the rubber bumpers of only 50.5" which apparently makes it unsuitable for many 911's.. The comment I saw was a 997 needed 54" minimum between jackpoints. I'm also assuming the 991 is similar (haven't measured yet).

Anyone have any experience with the QuickJack and Porsches?

Old 07-22-2014, 06:44 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
After doing some more investigation... I concluded that the Quick Jack isn't the right solution for a Porsche.

Kind of a shame and a bit short sighted in that their product can't handle a car with span between lift points greater than 50.5" (modern Porsche are 54").. Of course there are a lot of cars other than Porsche, but given the initial focus of the development for a product being to have at race sites it is curious they excluded that market. I'm sure there may be others as well... I'm pretty sure for the price they would sell a ton of these if they gave it another 3 inches of span..

I read through a lot of threads and info and apparently the reason (or logic) is apparently the span limitation between jackpoints is a structural limitation of the design (although they could use thicker steel, or maybe a I-beam construction). Doesn't appear they have any plans for longer spans given their second product the QuickJack 5000 is basically the same. And it doesn't seem they have any plans to release new products..

Lots of potential and really cool but limitation unfortunately makes it usable and useless.

Instead, looks like the jackpoint Jackstands are really the only alternative to a full scissor lift. Unfortunately at $299 a pair, it is a $600 + the cost of a new floor jack that works with it (looks like the harbor freight 3 Ton is cited as a good low cost compatible jack). Went ahead and ordered mine today.

I also saw the Jackbars, which at least allow you to jack up the side of the car and not struggle with the jacking the same place you need to put the jackstand problem. But Unfortunately you still need to use them with Jackstands of some sort.. Not a real fan of using traditional jackstands anyway (I think properly used they are safe, but I saw a car fall off years ago due to mechanic error but I still don't like them).

But the Jackpoint stands are super wide and beefy so they look very substantial and looks like almost no way a car could fall off them..

Old 07-23-2014, 05:54 AM
wc11 has a spectacular aura aboutwc11 has a spectacular aura about
Would a 4 post not fit?

Old 07-23-2014, 09:45 AM
Originally Posted by wc11
Would a 4 post not fit?
Not sure I understand the question.. A 4 post Lift?

No I'm not interested in a 4 post lift, that doesn't do me much good as a key requirement for me is brake and wheel kinds of things. But I don't have the headroom in my garage for a 4 or a real 2 post lift. (Max Jack would be possible, but I'm not sure I'd meet the installation requirements for the slab). Honestly something more portable like the Quick Jack would have been Ideal.

I think I could probably adapt the Quick Jack and use it with the Lift Bars, but I suspect I would probably have to use ramps just to get enough clearance to get the jack under the combo.

So it looks like for now the Jackpoint Jackstands are the way I have to go. Actually, I'm starting to think that it isn't such a bad solution. They look to be rock solid stable and pretty quick to get into place and jack up. So for my needs it may be just as good as a lift solution.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:00 PM
OklahomaGT2 is a splendid one to beholdOklahomaGT2 is a splendid one to beholdOklahomaGT2 is a splendid one to beholdOklahomaGT2 is a splendid one to beholdOklahomaGT2 is a splendid one to beholdOklahomaGT2 is a splendid one to beholdOklahomaGT2 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by scatkins
Been investigating Jacks for my 991 Porsche C2S.. as well as other cars

Don't have the space for a 2 post, and I like the Max Jack but, my garage slab probably doesn't meet it's safety requirements for the studs/Bolts. Probably also a bit more trouble than I'd prefer for occasional tire, brake etc work..

I like the QuickJack 3500 or 5000 as it seems very portable and I can store away.

However, from a couple of comments I saw, the QuickJack has a span for the rubber bumpers of only 50.5" which apparently makes it unsuitable for many 911's.. The comment I saw was a 997 needed 54" minimum between jackpoints. I'm also assuming the 991 is similar (haven't measured yet).

Anyone have any experience with the QuickJack and Porsches?

No experience with QuickJack but I just ordered a Kwiklift. These are cheap and perfect for working on the car in the garage.

http://www.kwik-lift.com/

Old 07-23-2014, 05:02 PM
OklahomaGT2 is a splendid one to beholdOklahomaGT2 is a splendid one to beholdOklahomaGT2 is a splendid one to beholdOklahomaGT2 is a splendid one to beholdOklahomaGT2 is a splendid one to beholdOklahomaGT2 is a splendid one to beholdOklahomaGT2 is a splendid one to behold
I met the owner and he is a great businessmen. I am very happy with the service thus far.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:56 PM
Interesting but different category of animal

I put this in the similar category as 4 post lifts, good for allowing you to access to get under the car to work on it. But not especially useful for doing things in which you need to remove the wheels or have the wheels dangling (brakes, suspension, etc) which for me is mostly what I need...

Old 07-24-2014, 02:09 AM
Interesting but different category of animal

I put this in the similar category as 4 post lifts, good for allowing you to access to get under the car to work on it. But not especially useful for doing things in which you need to remove the wheels or have the wheels dangling (brakes, suspension, etc) which for me is mostly what I need...
I have to disagree, I purchased so I can easily swap tires, brake pads etc. watch there YOUTUBE clip. I have will have a set of track tires, rotors and pads and this makes it easy to swap at home.

http://www.kwik-lift.com/information_video.html

The standard Kwik-lift comes with the ever so versatile Centerbridge which allows you to use blocks and jacks to raise the wheels off your Kwik-lift ramps and work on brakes and suspension with ease.

Simply place your blocks and jack on the Kwik-lift Centerbridge directly under the suitable frame member, with a soft cloth to prevent scratching, of course, and raise the frame to the desired height and remove the wheel and work in comfort. And you're working in safety, too, since the Kwik-lift will stop the fall of your vehicle should there be any accidental jack failure or error. Once again Kwik-lift is your perfect solution for working on your car in the comfort of your driveway or home garage.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by OklahomaGT2
I have to disagree, I purchased so I can easily swap tires, brake pads etc. watch there YOUTUBE clip. I have will have a set of track tires, rotors and pads and this makes it easy to swap at home.
Not trying to be unappreciative of the suggestion, but that really makes no sense to me. I think our cases for this are much different..

What you are getting is you are elevating the car nicely but still require Jackstands (which is what I specifically am trying to avoid in the first place). If you don't need the elevation of a lift then there is no value. If you want it to get under the car, drop transmissions, rear ends then yeah I would agree. But for wheel and brake use, 4 post lifts (which is effectively what you have) are not good solutions and is why 2 posts are popular for general work.

For me, if I still have to use a lift with jack stands.. I might as well just use the jack stands and skip the lift. The lift isn't helping me any since I don't have a need to elevate the car past what the jackstands give me..

And back to my original post.. a key reason for me wanting a lift would be stability/safety as well as the hassle of not having to use jack stands. So for me this is the worst of both world.. the size of a portable lift I have to store in a limited garage space and the safety concerns and hassle of using jack stands...

Not saying it isn't a good solution/tool. Just not for my type of use.

Going back to my original post, the Quick Jack 3500/5000 were ideal for me (if they fit a Porsche properly) because they were portable, and essentially function like a 2 post (actually a scissor) and eliminated the hassle and concerns of a Jackstand.

Honestly, I'd go for a 2 post Max Jack before I'd do something like this. It would give me much more flexibility without having to deal with jackstands.

On occasions when I have need a bit more elevation (such as pulling a trans or rear end, which I don't do anymore) I'd just use portable ramps..

Last edited by scatkins; 07-24-2014 at 11:20 AM.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:29 PM
See U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really nice
Question Hey Scatkins have you seen Jack's Garage?

Once there look at video #2 and tell me what you think

Old 07-26-2014, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by See U n Rear View
Yeah I saw this a while back. really nice how he embedded the scissor lift under the floor so it doesn't take up any space. I suppose he loses about 6" of lift off of it, but that's probably not an issue.

This is actually the kind of thing I was looking at doing (still want to eventually) although it will be a bit of work. I think for my uses this kind of scissor lift is ideal.

The one thing about doing this kind of thing is you can't have a post tension floor since you can't really cut into the slab like that, luckily my current garage is old so this would work nicely.

I think when I get some time for a project, I might look at doing this kind of thing. I guess for now I'll get by with the Jack stands.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:37 AM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
I got a bendpak mp7x scissor lift installed. Much more pricey and involved install, but very practical. When not in use it sits flush to the concrete. It can lift 7000 lbs and raise to just about any height. Great for any type of work and lifts just about any car. I have no problem with 911s, or my Cayenne.

Old 08-08-2014, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by Nikolas
I got a bendpak mp7x scissor lift installed. Much more pricey and involved install, but very practical. When not in use it sits flush to the concrete. It can lift 7000 lbs and raise to just about any height. Great for any type of work and lifts just about any car. I have no problem with 911s, or my Cayenne.
Haven't seen mp7's but was looking at the SP-7X.. Which I suspect is similar.

This kind of scissor is what I'd ultimately like to hook up with and I think would meet my needs for just about anything. I'm probably going to move in the year so I don't want to spend too much $'s and effort until after I move.

Finally got my Quickjacks late last week.. I think they will do me well for the mid term..

They are expensive (about $600 for two pairs) but the things are built like tanks.. I don't think you could knock a car off them even if you tried hard as their footprint is very wide. Actually they work pretty well and getting my Porsche 991 up on them.. only takes about 5 minutes. So I'm a happy camper right now.

I do like the scissor bendpacks though, which I think is more useful for a variety of car types.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:36 AM
xamfed is on a distinguished road
Haven't seen mp7's but was looking at the SP-7X.. Which I suspect is similar.

This kind of scissor is what I'd ultimately like to hook up with and I think would meet my needs for just about anything. I'm probably going to move in the year so I don't want to spend too much $'s and effort until after I move.

Finally got my Quickjacks late last week.. I think they will do me well for the mid term..

They are expensive (about $600 for two pairs) but the things are built like tanks.. I don't think you could knock a car off them even if you tried hard as their footprint is very wide. Actually they work pretty well and getting my Porsche 991 up on them.. only takes about 5 minutes. So I'm a happy camper right now.

I do like the scissor bendpacks though, which I think is more useful for a variety of car types.
What set did you get? do they fit the car properly?

Old 08-11-2014, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by xamfed
What set did you get? do they fit the car properly?
Sorry, I meant I got the JackPoint Jackstands.. Which I'm finding work just fine and are secure for general work.

The Quickjacks, which is what I started the thread with.. are completely useless for a late model Porsche because their short bar length doesn't fit the 54" span between forward and aft jackpoints of 996/997 or 991 porsches.. I'm guessing it is similar for Boxters and Caymans..

Such a shame the mfg didn't think that one out.. about 4 inches to short.. Comment I saw from the mfg.. indicated its a structural/beam issue, but I'm sure they could have beefed it up a bit to get a few inches extra..

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: QuickJack 3500 or 5000?