Notices
Garage Forum Share pictures of your garage with the rest of the 6speedonline members. Learn about Garage flooring, painting, art, and more in this forum.

Car Cover Material? Need recommendations..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 09:49 AM
bluecab is on a distinguished road
Car Cover Material? Need recommendations..

I have not bought a car cover since the '80s.
The technology is all different now.
I am looking for an outdoor cover that will be very soft inside, but provide the best protection overall.
Seems that most of the new material is non-woven, but the variations are endless.
Opinions? Experiences?

TIA..

Old 06-07-2016, 08:31 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Look at coverking and California car cover. Both are excellent brands that offer a few materials for every budget starting around $130-370.

Some factors to think about:
Thickness of material. While thinner is better, a thick multiple layer is heavy and there for more ding and wind resistant.

Water proof. No cover is really waterproof actually. They are all weather resistant.

Bulkiness. Covers are easily put on and stored if they are less bulky.

Stitches. Less stitching the better. This is explained by coverking well. Stitching leads to failure and more water leaks.

Fit. All custom covers fit pretty well

Old 09-01-2016, 04:01 AM
Lotus907 is on a distinguished road
Oh boy, car covers. Hummm, been using them in Phoenix since the early 80's. Stay away from evo fancy named covers, they're really just paper. They brag about certain features etc, they are really just paper, when they rot and reach the end of life, they just fall apart and it..is..ugly.

Fabrics are the way to go. I have tried many. I like softer stuff against the car, but you need weather tech nylon-like materials to protect against the weather. My weather techs do not allow water on the car in rain. I have several, one of my Land Rovers is outside all the time now under a weather tech car cover and it has been rained on a lot. I uncovered it after 4 months of disuse and aside from a little dust at the ends from bellows effects during wind, the truck only needed a quick run over it with an auto duster. Might have only been 3 months... but you get the idea. There was no evidence under the cover that it had ever been wet, no water spots etc. However, as good as the weather techs are, I'd prefer a softer underside on better higher end cars. The only way I have found to solve this is two covers, a soft indoor cover on the car, a weather tech over the top. This is my OCD way of solving the problem as I have not found one cover to work as well as my two cover method. Keep in mind I am in Phoenix, so it's usually a low humidity environment. Having said that, the weather tech (Big Sky Car covers and Autosport) is actually enough for the less OCD car freak.

A weather Tech Car cover...

I have a cover from Calif car cover on another of my outdoor parked cars. It's called Ultra weave. I have permanent scratches on the car whereever there is a seam. I am pretty OCD about cleanliness and I wipe the car down religiously before covering it. No matter what I do, those damned seams leave greasy marks at first, then eventually you end up with a spot rubbed 'raw' if you will and even car cleaner wax will not take the marks out. And...water goes through it. What a waste this cover was and whenever I try to contact that company with questions etc, I get naught in return. I'm going with a weather tech very soon on this car and will never get another cover from that company.