GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Difficulty shifting into first gear at a stop?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 12:43 PM
Black V12 is on a distinguished road
Difficulty shifting into first gear at a stop?

This is in a 997 GT3 that has been driven relatively gently (compared to most here) for 7k miles, though it's a city car so I'm in first and second gear A LOT. Sometimes it is really difficult to shift into first and, not wanting to force it, I usually just start in second when this occurs. Maybe one out of fifty or one out of a hundred times this happens. Anyone else had it happen? Yes, the clutch pedal is all the way to the floor. I've driven manuals my whole life and I've never seen this "hiccup" before.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:57 PM
Banned
Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !
Never heard something like this before... Did you checked the oil?

Old 05-22-2008, 12:58 PM
BOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to behold
Are you completely stopped when trying to engage? Also do you have a short shift kit in your car. I have one in my car and it does this from time to time as well (although i have a 996 GT3).

Old 05-22-2008, 01:01 PM
Yep.

I never shift to first (in any car) unless the car is completely stopped.

Nope, no short shift kit... just the regular gearbox.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:31 PM
fcracer will become famous soon enoughfcracer will become famous soon enough
I have the exact same issue. It's going into the dealership on Tuesday to get looked at. It appears to be random and is really irritating, especially when you're stuck at a light in this impatient city in a red GT3.

This is what happens in my car. Come up to a traffic light in 2nd gear, disengage clutch and put car into neutral, engage clutch (in neutral). Car is stopped, waiting for light to turn green. Light turns green, disengage clutch, try to put car into 1st. Gear goes perhaps halfway into first, but will not go any further.

I then have 3 choices:
1. Put the car back into neutral, engage clutch, disengage and try again
2. Try to go into 2nd and then 1st
3. Put the car back into netural, engage clutch, disengage, go to 2nd, then 1st

If I do #3 above, it provides the most consistent success, but this is not how the car should be. It was fine for the first 6,500km so not sure if it's a hydraulic problem, a sticky clutch or something to do with the gearbox or cable adjustment.

It should not be this way; they don't "all do that" as I've driven two (regular 3 and RS) in the past week to test that theory and they do not do that. Let me know how yours turns out.

Old 05-22-2008, 03:00 PM
Wayne K is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't be too concerned if it only happens once every 50 to 100 times. Rather than starting out in 2nd, which requires clutch slipping to do it smoothly and that is a bad thing, try putting it in 3rd and then in first. If that doesn't help then 3rd and sneak the clutch out just enough that you feel a connection and then clutch back in and into 1st. Also you do not need to be at complete stop to shift into 1st. Try shifting into first prior to complete stop and perhaps that will eliminate having to try something else. If you are at a stop for some time you do want to leave it out of gear and the clutch out to extend the life of the throwout bearing. Hope this helps.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:23 PM
jlee is just really nicejlee is just really nicejlee is just really nicejlee is just really nice
This does not sound normal. The car probably should be checked out by the dealer. Meanwhile, you might try blipping the engine while in neutral with the clutch engaged and then try first gear again.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:33 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
I've heard a lot of 996 and 997 GT3 guys complain about this very thing...I drive my 05 996 GT3 hard (9k miles) and going into first whether moving under 20mph or stopped is like butter and no double clutching necessary...you might try double clutching and if it goes in smooth you may have a bad synchro

Old 05-23-2008, 05:21 AM
pilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nice
Unless it's completely stopped...you must not shift into first gear. When stopping at a traffic light you are in second gear most of the time...unless you are arriving a bit speedy and you are in third. I suggest you not to put the first and press the clutch when in second so that you won't put the transmission under "pressure"...

Old 05-23-2008, 08:54 AM
Pilone, the problem is from a dead standstill, the car is not moving. I don't bother downshifting into 1st while moving because it's hard on the synchros and brakes are cheaper than gearboxes. The problem is from a stop.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:20 AM
Blackbox is on a distinguished road
1st gear problems

I began driving sticks in the early seventies when syncros were not all that great. Having owned 3 914-6's none of which shifted very smoothly I learned that if you put the car into second gear prior to first it really helped the first gear engagement. I'm not saying that you should have to do this but it may help the situation untill you get it resolved correctly. I currently have an 04 GT3 and it shifts smoothly in all gears. I do use a high performance gear oil that my mechanic suggests but i'm sorry I don't recall what he uses.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:59 PM
cap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by fcracer
I have the exact same issue. It's going into the dealership on Tuesday to get looked at. It appears to be random and is really irritating, especially when you're stuck at a light in this impatient city in a red GT3.

This is what happens in my car. Come up to a traffic light in 2nd gear, disengage clutch and put car into neutral, engage clutch (in neutral). Car is stopped, waiting for light to turn green. Light turns green, disengage clutch, try to put car into 1st. Gear goes perhaps halfway into first, but will not go any further.

I then have 3 choices:
1. Put the car back into neutral, engage clutch, disengage and try again
2. Try to go into 2nd and then 1st
3. Put the car back into netural, engage clutch, disengage, go to 2nd, then 1st

If I do #3 above, it provides the most consistent success, but this is not how the car should be. It was fine for the first 6,500km so not sure if it's a hydraulic problem, a sticky clutch or something to do with the gearbox or cable adjustment.

It should not be this way; they don't "all do that" as I've driven two (regular 3 and RS) in the past week to test that theory and they do not do that. Let me know how yours turns out.
LOL...Same issue and choices I do with my '02 996 C2. My pcar tech said (in my case) it needs cable adjustment (he took out the shift boot and saw something not aligned). I'll have that adjustment and change my shifter to the 997 shifter done at the same time.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:13 PM
An update: I took the car into the dealer and was able to replicate the problem with their tech. They adjusted the shifter which seems to have made it better, but it might just be placebo effect.

They had a master tech drive the car and declared it normal. I don't think it's normal, but will give them the benefit of the doubt. At least it's logged in the system in case problems develop in the gearbox later in its life.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:01 AM
Huh, thanks fcracer, the stealership is picking her up today.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:50 PM
pilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nice
Originally Posted by fcracer
Pilone, the problem is from a dead standstill, the car is not moving. I don't bother downshifting into 1st while moving because it's hard on the synchros and brakes are cheaper than gearboxes. The problem is from a stop.
Oh ok...than it's a different thing...I suggest to go check it out by a technician...it's always the best thing