GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Oakley Sequential Gear Shift

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 05:27 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
hogt3 is on a distinguished road
Oakley Sequential Gear Shift

Has anyone tried to instal this on the 997 GT3 Mk1? Looks interesting. I just get enough feel reading Oakley's description.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:12 AM
10GT3 will become famous soon enough10GT3 will become famous soon enough
i have the cartronics sequential shifter on my 997.2 gt3 (oakley gets theirs from cartronics). i have about 5000 miles of use and can tell you it is awesome. read the last issue of excellence magazine that did a test on an oakley gt2 with the system and they were very impressed and explained quite well the benefits.

for myself, after 40 years of "h" pattern shifting, this is really trick. you can't miss a shift, it shifts very positively and much quicker than stock. they fit both the 996 and 997 trannys.

originally developed by seimens engineering for porsche for their 996 cup cars (at that time they did not have sequential trannys for the cups) to try to keep up with the competition who had sequential trannys, later dropped and the engineer who designed the system bought the rights and further developed it.

i personnaly love it.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:57 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Do you have to use the clutch or not?

Old 02-24-2010, 10:20 AM
LTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud of
Who sells the unit? Is it a DIY?

Old 02-24-2010, 10:23 AM
yes, you use the clutch both up and down. this is a sequential shifter,not a sequential gearbox. to shift, you pull back for up shifts and push forward to downshift. the action is very positive and quick, according to excellence magazine test driver, the shift is twice as quick as stock. this over a lap adds up. plus it eliminates the "money shift", you can't catch the wrong gear.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:25 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
The biggest problem with this shifter is designer John Oakley and the business problems surrounding Oakley Design.

There is another tuner here in the US...M7 who makes aftermarket parts for the Mini, who has teamed with GMG to come up with a sequential gear shift system (yes you need the clutch.) They also have a paddleshift solution as well.

- bob

Old 02-24-2010, 10:25 AM
i got mine from road sport supply/stutgartt performance in orange county calif. they did the install. i don't think this is a diy job. but talk to mike or bryan there, they are board sponsors here.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:30 AM
LTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 10GT3
i got mine from road sport supply/stutgartt performance in orange county calif. they did the install. i don't think this is a diy job. but talk to mike or bryan there, they are board sponsors here.
May I ask what was the installed price? OK, so I asked.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:34 AM
oakley is just a distributor of the cartronics shifter, not the designer. go to cartronic.com for more info.
my take on the M7 unit is that the "bump stick" is not a solid feel like the cartronics unit. mine takes real pressure to shift, very positive and great feel. i saw a youtube vid showing the M7 unit with both the bump stick and the paddles. not inspiring to me as the paddles are so uninvolving and the bump stick action looked like a video game stick, no feel. with mine i pre-load (pull or push with pressure in the desired direction of the shift) the stick prior to shifting, just like you do with a standard manual to speed the shift sequence.
as you all can tell, i am sold. some may consider it a "gimmick" but i will say that it is a great gimmick, and i will never remove it. and by the way, no mods necessary so you could go back to stock anytime.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:39 AM
call mike or bryan at stutgartt performance (board sponsor) for pricing and install cost. i don't want to get in trouble, its their thing. all i can say is that i am one happy customer with over 5000 miles on the unit in my 2010 gt3.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:07 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
oakley is just a distributor of the cartronics shifter, not the designer. go to cartronic.com for more info.
Is this the website? http://www.cartronic-motorsport.de/

Last edited by bbywu; 02-24-2010 at 11:15 AM.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:00 PM
Former Vendor
RSSmike has a reputation beyond reputeRSSmike has a reputation beyond reputeRSSmike has a reputation beyond reputeRSSmike has a reputation beyond reputeRSSmike has a reputation beyond reputeRSSmike has a reputation beyond reputeRSSmike has a reputation beyond reputeRSSmike has a reputation beyond reputeRSSmike has a reputation beyond reputeRSSmike has a reputation beyond reputeRSSmike has a reputation beyond repute
Video: Cartronic Shifter in Action....

Here is some video of the SQS Racing/Cartronic Sequential Shifter in action just to give everyone a better idea of what it's like to drive.

These quick video clips are from our "Angry Pumpkin GT3 RS" build.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqfTrYhIW3k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHSkp...eature=related

call mike or bryan at stuttgart performance (board sponsor) for pricing and install cost...... all i can say is that i am one happy customer with over 5000 miles on the unit in my 2010 gt3.

Last edited by RSSmike; 02-24-2010 at 05:00 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:09 PM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
Do you need to rev-match when shifting gears?

Old 02-24-2010, 01:22 PM
yes, cartronic-motorsport.de, be sure to access their english version unless you are fluent in german. i have the sqs-g unit in my gt3.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:39 PM
DanH has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Hi guys its not made by cartronic I don't think, but by SQS (hence the name). Lots of info here:

http://www.sqsracing.com/produkt/277:363:sqs-sequent-shifter-porsche-ultima

I've driven the old Oakley GT3 with it and I really liked it. My only concern would be finding a shop that could trim/adjust it to keep the shift accurate.

Andreas Preuninger was the mates with the guy who developed it and had it on his development 6RS but they decided it was too difficult for maintenance at dealerships (training etc I guess). I'm not sure about the siemens story or for cup cars though - I heard the siemens stuff from Oakley, but he was/is frankly, FOS. Andreas never mentioned it when I was chatting to him thats for sure and nor is it mentioned on SQS website. (no I'm not mates with Preuninger, he was at the 7GT3 mk2 launch at Silverstone which I was invited to).

Last edited by bbywu; 02-24-2010 at 02:39 PM. Reason: removed embedded link to commercial non sponsor

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oakley Sequential Gear Shift