GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Valentine One / G Bracket Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 08:19 PM
24Chromium will become famous soon enough
Valentine One / G Bracket Install

I purchased a G-Bracket along with a hardwire installation kit from G Rides, in order to mount my Valentine One radar detector in my 2010 GT3.

I originally planned to wire the unit into the dome light area, since I have an auto-dimming rear view mirror and I've read elsewhere that you can get switched 12v power here. This is, in fact, exactly how I installed this same unit (9 years ago!) in my e46 BMW M3. However, since the G Rides hardwire kit had everything already soldered and engineered, I decided to forge ahead with wiring it directly to the fuse box per their instructions.

Overall, I love the product and highly recommend it. I was somewhat concerned that I wouldn't like the location, as it might block my vision out the windshield, but it seems to be in the perfect location now that I've driven the car with it installed.

I'd like to share my DIY installation experience with you all:

1 - The bracket did not seem to fit well over my mirror mount cover. I took care to insure that once I reinstalled the cover parts, that they snapped back together and were seated properly. However, when I did a dry fit of the bracket to the mirror housing mount, I found that the bracket would not fit up high enough to center on the mounting holes. What I did to fix this was to use a couple of adjustable wrenches to bend the flanges outwards slightly, so that the flanges were bent to about 85° each instead of 90°. This enabled me to slide it all the way up and get the mounting holes concentric.

2 - The hardest part of the interior trim to remove - by a long shot - was the hanger holder. I actually deformed the plastic ever so slightly in my quest to get my plastic spudger tool up under the bottom lip and in applying enough pressure to pop off the 2 lower snaps. Removing the large A pillar trim was actually simple and quick for me, as I had studied the photos G Rides provides in their instructions to know the locations of the snaps. It popped off before I knew it.

3 - I found it impossible to fish the hardwire cable down past the dash. This is because the fuse connector end was so big. I even pulled out the 2 fuses on it to make the envelope smaller, but it didn't seem to help. I tried both locations that I thought were appropriate, but got nowhere. In a flash of inspiration, I decided to unwire what I had done up at the mirror and work up from the fuse box instead of down, since the smaller chunk to fish is definately the RJ-11 connector. To do this I simply took a short length (~2 ft.) of wire (I used 18 guage speaker wire, but house wire, a single wire out of 14-2 copper wire would have been ideal since its fairly stiff) to fish down from the top of the dash to the fuse box. Then I used electrical tape to wrap the RJ-11 end to the fish wire. Overlap the 2 by a a couple of inches and wrap the tape tightly to prevent it from catching on anything. I had some extra wire after everything was all tucked and neat, so I doubled it over on itself under the tie-wraps I used to secure the cable to the car's main harness coming into the fuse box.

4 - I wasn't exactly sure which open position to use in the grid of the fuse box. I followed the photos you supplied and decided to try the open slot on row D, just to the right of the 2 red 10's. I checked the function of the detector before proceeding any further. It worked fine, so I was in good shape. Just to double check, I opened up the manual Porsche supplies on the back of the fuse box cover. Unfortunately, Porsche doesn't fully describe them as to their voltage or whether they are switched/non-switched. SInce all signs were positive, I decided I had it right and pressed on. Gary at G Rides wrote me back to say that the actual location is documented in his instructions. Somehow, I must have overlooked it.

5 - The installation instructions didn't mention this specifically, but I didn't like the red power wire getting pinched as it tucked behind the carpeted fuse box cover. I took my Dremel tool to the flange and milled a small mouse hole so that the wire didn't get pinched.

6 - I've only put a few highway miles on the car, but I thought my bracket and/or the head unit was rattling. I'll try tightening all the screws/nuts to see if that cures it. It might actually be the Valentine One unit rattling on their bracket. I'll have to investigate a little more while I get her out on the road again.

Overall, I highly recommend the product! Great job G Rides!!!

The following photos show the installation in process...

Attached Images    
Old 10-18-2010, 08:28 PM
996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Very...

...nice job ! Looks "factory".

I have the Blendmount and ran the V1 remote wires tucked across the headliner and down the passenger a-pillar to the V1 bus.

The vibes thing is a common problem with a tight suspension because the slide (on the V1) that the V1 bracket fits into is not tight enough.

I had the issue too until I slid the V1 a bit more toward the windshield and voila... vibes disappeared.

Last edited by 996PCarGo; 10-18-2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:36 PM
I hadn't heard of the Blendmount till your posting. It looks pretty slick!

Old 10-19-2010, 01:43 PM
YoopsRacing will become famous soon enough
Yea I broke a tab off the hanger holder when I did mine this thing was a PITA to remove...plan on buying a extra one as they are cheap and I went ahead and bought a extra mirror mount cover also cheap for when and if I sell the car.
I also was not able to get wire completely behind dash so I ran it from the a pillar to the door opening moulding, which it is behind and completely out of view.
Blendmount does not make a mount for a 997.....they had a beta product that I almost tried but I prefer the cleaner look of the G bracket and the hardwire kit.
To get rid of the vibration just slightly tighten the mounting nuts

Old 10-19-2010, 07:31 PM
996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold
Arrow This weekend...

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
...I will take some pics and post them so you can see how it looks...

Old 10-19-2010, 11:47 PM
DrPeter has a spectacular aura aboutDrPeter has a spectacular aura aboutDrPeter has a spectacular aura about
Nice write-up.

The pictures make the gmount almost looks like it is sitting too close to the dash, could you post a pic of the view of the mount from the drivers point of view?

The top edge of the Valentine must be what, an inch below the edge of the rear view mirror?

Old 10-20-2010, 07:14 AM
YoopsRacing will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by DrPeter
Nice write-up.

The pictures make the gmount almost looks like it is sitting too close to the dash, could you post a pic of the view of the mount from the drivers point of view?

The top edge of the Valentine must be what, an inch below the edge of the rear view mirror?
no it is right below the bottom edge of the rear view mirror maybe 1/16 -1/8 inch max

Old 10-20-2010, 04:37 PM
Former Vendor
Gary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond repute
Thank you for all the feedback. Please have a look at this thread which has a few pictures of the G Bracket and additional information:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...7-g-rides.html

Old 10-21-2010, 12:23 AM
Here is a picture of my G Bracket w/the V1 installed...

Attached Images  
Old 10-21-2010, 11:00 AM
Former Vendor
Gary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond repute
Here is a picture of my G Bracket w/the V1 installed...
That looks great, thank you!

Old 10-21-2010, 04:25 PM
Arrow V1 with Blendmount

Originally Posted by 996PCarGo
...nice job ! Looks "factory".

I have the Blendmount and ran the V1 remote wires tucked across the headliner and down the passenger a-pillar to the V1 bus.

The vibes thing is a common problem with a tight suspension because the slide (on the V1) that the V1 bracket fits into is not tight enough.

I had the issue too until I slid the V1 a bit more toward the windshield and voila... vibes disappeared.
Here are a couple of pics of the V1 Blendmount combo...

Attached Images   

Last edited by 996PCarGo; 10-21-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:48 PM
soccerTOOLsu is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 996PCarGo
Here are a couple of pics of the V1 Blendmount combo...

How in the world did you get the Blendmount to install on 997. I just ordered mine and I can't find where to install it on the rear view mirror stem.

Name:  IMG_0102.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  122.6 KB