GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

GT2 RS Storm is Brewing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 04:57 AM
cc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud of
GT2 RS Storm is Brewing

I'm not a member of Rennlist, but I have been keeping a keen eye on a thread there that I wanted a few people to see here. I would like some opinions on this subject along with some copy of a note being sent to PCNA.

The post that got me started looking into all this is on RL: http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/997-gt2-gt3-forum/606885-gt2-rs-shifter-is-it-really-new.html

Note:

As you know I have a GT2RS on order with you. In a product discussion captured on video the GT2RS Product Manager Andreas Preuninger makes some statements of fact regarding the GT2RS:

1. 10:50 Q: "is the suspension (of GT2RS) identical to GT3RS?" Mr. Preuninger: "No no!"
2. 11:00 Other Porsche Rep: "We have eliminated most of the elastic-kinematic joints"
3. 11:20 Q: "It's rose-jointed?" Mr. Preuninger and other Porsche rep: "Ya ya!" "We needed that (removal of elastics) for the reaction time..." "we could cut down this time by changing to rose-joints a lot"
4. 12:00 Mr. Preuninger" "We have to get rid of all the rubber you can find"

Also attached is a photo from the GT2RS marketing book indicating: "The rigid connection between the chassis and the body, e.g. metal support bearings with ball joints at the front..."

Rose- joints are solid spherical ends which remove the rubber cushion part of the joint, remove free play and increase precision of the joint. High performance cars and race cars will use rose-joints/spherical ends. On both my Boxster Spyder and GT3RS I have installed solid suspension pieces at considerable cost.

I invested some time to carefully examine the Porsche parts catalog, PET, to compare suspension part numbers between the GT3RS and GT2RS and I was shocked to discover the statements above are not true. Between the 2010/11 GT2RS and GT2RS, there are only two differences in suspension part number: a rear Lower Control Arm and a rear wishbone. So the suspensions are essentially identical. And the GT3RS suspension has many pieces with elastomerics!

What this means to me: You saw me clambering under the GT2RS at the LA Auto Show to attempt to determine exactly what is different in the suspension, and retrofitting of my existing cars demonstrates the importance to which I consider suspension parts to be. Most importantly, I have committed to spend a quarter of a million dollars on a car that does not appear in fact to meet the marketing clams? The more I looked into this, the more I felt lied to by Porsche marketing and the more angry I became!

1. The suspension on the GT3RS and GT2RS is identical with exception of two parts. This is contrary to Mr. Preuningers unambiguous and emphatic claim.
2. The GT2RS suspension retains elastomerics on many suspension pieces: thrust arms, thrust arm bushings, upper shock mounts, front lower control arm ends, rear upper control arms.

Did the 7:18 ring car have a solid suspension? Or the elastomeric-containing suspension as appears in the Porsche parts catalog for production cars? Or is PET wrong? I fear a marketing department gone out of control and wish to be fully informed by Porsche in writing with an explanation of these discrepancies. If the GT2RS does not offer the valuable parts claimed in their marketing, then Porsche should either extend a credit ($10,000 is the value of a solid suspension) or offer to retrofit to a solid suspension at their expense.

Thank you kindly for forwarding my concerns to the appropriate person to address them.

Last edited by cc08gt2; 12-20-2010 at 05:00 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:21 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Are you positive the actual parts (not part numbers) are NOT the same.

Porsche has been known to update parts with the same number when an updated version comes out. I can't think of any examples off the top of my head, but I know for sure some parts never changed numbers but did change features.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:06 AM
TRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of light
Did the 7:18 ring car have a solid suspension? Or the elastomeric-containing suspension as appears in the Porsche parts catalog for production cars? Or is PET wrong?
PET might not be fully updated..
None have been delivered so wait and see right?

Either way PET is wrong or Porsche better make it wrong fast.
I would expect the car to be as advertised and as it was when it ran the 7:18 and the same pre-production ones they gave to magazines for all the promotional test drives.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:09 AM
cc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud of
I don't know enough about it at present and am trying to learn. I figured a few guys (you 2 in particular) would know more about the situation. The ONE thing I don't want to happen is to pay $265k for a car that is just the same as my 08 GT2 with some carbon sh*t, nicer intercoolers, and a tune.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:31 AM
FTS
FTS is on a distinguished road
I would highly doubt that Porsche would make claims on the record of this type and open the door to be proven wrong. There is too much of their reputation residing on the GT cars. I am pretty certain that the PET is not fully updated and the parts there for the GT2 are probably just place holders at this time. Just wait and see.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:45 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I feel your pain, that would not be fair to anyone spending that kind of money (TWICE) to be fooled like that.

I really hope that since the GT2 RS is the last of the 997 generation that the part could have been updated so that anyone in the future would get the updated part be it GT3 RS or GT2 RS.

What parts are we talking about here? We see that the rear lower control arms are different, so the fronts are the same as the GT3 RS. What else are we looking for? (Toe Arms, Caster arms, Subframe bushings?

What can we find pictures of? Solid Rose joints are easy to spot.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:49 AM
^I don't know. All I know is the lengthy thread on rennlist. I didn't read it all, but a few of the GT2 RS guys on there are my friends. Quite a few of us know each other due to the same likes/problems/habits, etc.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:55 AM
YoopsRacing will become famous soon enough
I would be equally concerned......265k is a lot of cash for a GT3RS with a different motor and some CF upgrades and a GT2 wing.....seems to me that if the GT2 RS parts fiche is available and is showing identical GT3 RS suspension parts..... it is, what it is

Old 12-20-2010, 07:58 AM
Originally Posted by YoopsRacing
I would be equally concerned......265k is a lot of cash for a GT3RS with a different motor and some CF upgrades and a GT2 wing.....seems to me that if the GT2 RS parts fiche is available and is showing identical GT3 RS suspension parts..... it is, what it is
Which is hugely different than what Preuninger said in the video.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:16 AM
KYROCKS will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by cc08gt2
Which is hugely different than what Preuninger said in the video.
I agree with you. I'd be a little pissed. Does your dealer know?...I doubt it.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:34 AM
Originally Posted by KYROCKS
I agree with you. I'd be a little pissed. Does your dealer know?...I doubt it.
Yep. They do this morning. So does PCNA. Dealer can't help

Old 12-20-2010, 01:26 PM
YoopsRacing will become famous soon enough
I can guess what the dealers response is (worthless)...curious what PCNA's response will be......

Old 12-20-2010, 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by YoopsRacing
I can guess what the dealers response is (worthless)...curious what PCNA's response will be......
Me too......

Old 12-20-2010, 01:53 PM
Banned
gt2urbo will become famous soon enoughgt2urbo will become famous soon enough
interesting. i am subscribed. hope all turns out for the better

Old 12-20-2010, 02:16 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
Intrigued and subscribed. You seem to be connected enough to get this resolved, good luck.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT2 RS Storm is Brewing