GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

996 GT3 gurus.....newb here

Old 04-02-2011, 10:46 AM
ShinDig is on a distinguished road
996 GT3 gurus.....newb here

It seems the majority of threads are about the 997. I am thinking about gettting a 996 GT3. What should I be looking out for? Any common issues or failures with these cars? I will be looking to track the car. Any factory parts that are a must or highly recommended to update like the LSD, brakes, etc? And lastly what does the aftermarket look like for this platform? I would be looking to do possible upgrades such as full exhaust, tune, and potentially suspension and brakes if they are not up to snuff. How does the factory suspension and brakes perform? Thank you in advance for any advice.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:43 AM
maroli will become famous soon enoughmaroli will become famous soon enough
factory suspension and brakes are excellent, as they are for all 'GT' series. If you're super focussed on tracking, some people do upgrade to bilsteins or moton's. Check the condition of the RMS, the diff, and that there are no type 2 overrevs.

Old 04-02-2011, 12:24 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
do a search on 996 GT3 and you will find plenty...these cars are more than 6 years old now so there is less posting about them...correct alignment is critical on these cars...should consider replacing rear toe links with adjustable ones and locking the eccentrics if you are going to track...this will help hold the alignment...

Old 04-03-2011, 11:35 AM
ShinDig is on a distinguished road
I will look into the RMS and diff. I have seen mentionings of the diff. Is there a preffered aftermarket replacement or...? I have read that the alignment needs to be spot on. Does it fall out of correct alingment often?

I have done some searching on here but most topics are old. Like you said the car is 6 years old. I was hoping to learn about recent discoveries about the car now that many have been put through their paces. Common issues should be popping their heads up now. Not when the car is a couple years old and barely has any mileage on it.

Last edited by ShinDig; 04-03-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:59 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Chuck pretty much covered it and as far as issues the car is strong as nails and the only niggles include the coolant pipes coming apart over time really...

Old 04-10-2011, 07:03 PM
McSworley will become famous soon enough
Any idea where I can buy some adjustable rear toe links for my '03 996 TT ?

Thanks - JIM

Old 04-10-2011, 09:08 PM
gt3gtr is on a distinguished road
I just bought a 996 GT3, and it is described in my thread 996 GT3 Storage and Maintenance. There is an article I read back in 2004 about the importance of alignment, just as others have mentioned. But this article goes into more detail about how to get the precise alignment for best track results. The link is below.
http://www.roadfly.com/2004-porsche-gt3-track-review.html

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 04-10-2011 at 11:01 PM. Reason: active link
Old 04-10-2011, 11:03 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by McSworley
Any idea where I can buy some adjustable rear toe links for my '03 996 TT ?

Thanks - JIM
there are many board sponsors that carry them including Sharkwerks...you can get Tarret links, ERP links, TRG links, RSS links, GMG links...they are all good

Old 04-11-2011, 08:41 AM
himself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the rough
6GT3 is the value proposition now, and prices have stabilized (for the most part). There are little issues here and there, but the car is a great compromise for street/track - or dedicated for either one. Not much slower than a 997 GT3, but a whole lot less money.

Originally Posted by maroli
factory suspension and brakes are excellent, as they are for all 'GT' series. If you're super focussed on tracking, some people do upgrade to bilsteins or moton's. Check the condition of the RMS, the diff, and that there are no type 2 overrevs.
Car comes with Bilsteins.

-td

Old 04-13-2011, 06:09 PM
zer0t has a spectacular aura aboutzer0t has a spectacular aura about
I'm a newb GT3 owner and I'm quite pleased thus far. Since I am not knowledgable on the car yet I spent the money to get a PPI done at a dealer I trust. It was worth every penny for piece of mind.

I love the car and it's a blast to drive. G/L and I hope you find one that makes you happy.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:01 PM
neuroguru will become famous soon enoughneuroguru will become famous soon enough
It's a terrific bargain and 90% the car of a 7.1GT3 and 80% the car of a 7.2GT3. It will make a you a better driver than those cars by the absence of eNannies and a bit less torque/hp.

You don't need to worry about the status of the LSD. If you track it, it'll be open after a few days. You'll want to upgrade the internals to a Guard.

These cars are bulletproof. Drive it to track. Wail on it. Drive it home. Bleed brakes, change pads, change oil. New rubber. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

I'd like someone to chime in if they have ever even heard of a 6GT3 needing an engine rebuild under 100k (absent some traumatic catastrophe like coolant hose rupture, disconnect, etc.)?

Guys are academically debating saving the engine by shifting a few hundred RPMs before redline, but I have yet to hear of a rebuild for basic wear and tear.