GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

2010 GT3 - DME Scan & PCCB Question on Purchase

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 07:37 AM
alevine has a spectacular aura aboutalevine has a spectacular aura about
2010 GT3 - DME Scan & PCCB Question on Purchase

Gents:

Good morning. I am looking at a 2010 GT3 with 15,000 miles that is located about 800 miles from home. I plan to get a full PPI but the dealer has been very helpful with my inquiries thus far. It is a 2-owner car and has some nice options including PCCB's. I have read online that some people like them and others prefer steel rotors. I assume people like the steel as they are cheaper to replace. Curious how long the PCCB's should last during street driving? i.e. 40,000 miles? How do I tell wear? Attached are a few pics as well s a link of the car. Not sure if these pics help at all.

Next, attached is a copy of the DME scan. Something does not seem right unless this car has never been revved! Again for 15,000 miles I would think there would be more type 1 - 3, correct?

http://www.checkeredflag.com/used/Po...3a3c983f53.htm

Any comments and insight would be appreciated.

Regards,
Adam

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04738.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	276448   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04730.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	276449   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04731.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	276450  
Old 08-31-2013, 09:06 AM
paver has much to be proud ofpaver has much to be proud ofpaver has much to be proud ofpaver has much to be proud ofpaver has much to be proud ofpaver has much to be proud ofpaver has much to be proud ofpaver has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by alevine
Gents:

Good morning. I am looking at a 2010 GT3 with 15,000 miles that is located about 800 miles from home. I plan to get a full PPI but the dealer has been very helpful with my inquiries thus far. It is a 2-owner car and has some nice options including PCCB's. I have read online that some people like them and others prefer steel rotors. I assume people like the steel as they are cheaper to replace. Curious how long the PCCB's should last during street driving? i.e. 40,000 miles? How do I tell wear? Attached are a few pics as well s a link of the car. Not sure if these pics help at all.

Next, attached is a copy of the DME scan. Something does not seem right unless this car has never been revved! Again for 15,000 miles I would think there would be more type 1 - 3, correct?

http://www.checkeredflag.com/used/Po...3a3c983f53.htm

Any comments and insight would be appreciated.

Regards,
Adam
DME looks fine. With the pictures you have the rotors look ok, but do you have any that show the wear indicator dots? Has it been on the track?

Old 08-31-2013, 09:19 AM
spyerx is a jewel in the roughspyerx is a jewel in the roughspyerx is a jewel in the rough
DME is fine. My RS had 0 in all ranges. The rotors look good. If you will never track the rotors will last a very long time. Just make sure to change pads before they start to damage the rotors. Over on rennlist there are a ton of pictures of good and not good rotors, and how to tell. That picture to me looks OK. You need to feel the surface also. Proper way to check is to weigh them. People who track like steel due to cost to replace AND pad selection options.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:16 AM
alevine has a spectacular aura aboutalevine has a spectacular aura about
Understood. Thanks for your input and quick response guys! Much appreciated.

I do not plan to track the car but just enjoy some spirited driving time. I will look over on rennlist for more info on the PCCB's. Forgot about that resource as I have been out of a Porsche for over 5 years. Excellent idea to weigh it though and look for wear indicators.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:51 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
No direct experience with PCCBs but I asked my tech sources their estimate of how long the brakes would last for me and I was told for me probably the life of the car.

I have an 03 Turbo that I bought used in 09 with 10K miles on it. The car now has 110K miles and is still on the original brakes. Iron brakes I might add just to be clear.

If you managed to get good life from the brakes your previous cars PCCBs should deliver exceptional life.

However, PCCBs are not without some extra responsibility on the part of the owner. For instance should you suddenly hear a noise from the brake area this could be something caught in between the rotor and the splash shield. You should stop and remove this ASAP to avoid damaging the rotor or pads.

Inspect or have inspected the brakes once in awhile to spot say a possible bad pad that can take out a rotor or a rotor turning bad that can ruin pads maybe the caliper.

When you have the car serviced use the dealer -- the techs there will use the threaded rods in wheel hub to protect the rotor when removing/installing the wheel -- or if you use an indy be sure the person who works on your car is fully aware of the rotors and takes the same precautions as do the Porsche techs.

Have the brake fluid flushed/bled on schedule.

If you are hard on your car's brakes you might consider sticking with iron brakes as they are of course cheaper to refresh.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:43 AM
ur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to all
My car has 0 in all ranges and has been tracked, depends on how careful you are with gear changes especially down changes

Jay