GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

unconfirmed: Paul Walker killed in CGT crash

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 12:01 PM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
rip...what a loss...

Old 12-01-2013, 12:41 PM
Falcon7x is on a distinguished road
How they know he was dead??

For the video above. HOW they know he was dead?? A man fell like 30 stories and was assumed dead...he lives today. Also those kids sound like they are watching a fast and furious movie. SMH

Old 12-01-2013, 01:25 PM
mplv is on a distinguished road
Where did the gmg thread go showing them with the motor out of that car from a week ago/

Old 12-01-2013, 02:14 PM
Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mplv
Where did the gmg thread go showing them with the motor out of that car from a week ago/
Presuming deleted by a Mod at GMG's request. CYA time and leave no dangling ends or tie backs to negative press would be my guess. We are all aware how things play out in an investigation. Recriminations and rumors get tossed about.

EDIT: Not at all an indictment of GMG's work.

I'm sure GMG will be contacted, if they haven't already, considering the extensive tear-down and service which was recently performed.

Who knows where these things lead. If a begreived party is lead to believe that any portion of the accident was caused by mechanical service related issues out come the lawyers. Although I'm sure GMG has enough D&O and E&O insurance to make it a non-issue should someone attempt to wrangle them.

My cached URL only pulled up text from the post:
GMG Racing is one of the very few independent shops that has a certified Porsche Gold Meister technician that is experienced with the vehicle. Porsche has a very stringent and demanding training regiment to become a qualified Porsche Technician. The Porsche Gold Meister designation recognizes the best of the best. Due to the complexity of the Carrera GT, only highly trained Porsche Gold Meister level technicians are certified to service the vehicle.

A 4 Year Service for the Porsche Carerra GT is very intensive and requires the car to be disassembled and it entails the following work:

Diagnosis system: Read out fault memory
Change engine oil and oil filter
Change manual transmission oil and oil filter
Replace drive belt
Check valve clearance
Replace coolant regulator
Power-assisted steering: Check fluid level
Underside of vehicle and engine compartment: Visual inspection for leaks (oils and fluids)
and chafing (lines and hoses)
Under body covers: Visual inspection for completeness, fastening and signs of damage
Coolant hoses: Check condition
Radiators and air inlets: Visual inspection for external debris and blockage
Coolant: Check level and antifreeze
Air cleaner housing: Visual inspection for contamination
Combination filter: Replace filter element
Fuel lines and connections: Visual inspection for damage and leaks
Wheel securing device: Check function
Wheel nuts: Visual inspection for wear
Parking brake: Check free play of the parking brake lever
Brake system: Visual inspection of the brake pads and brake discs for signs of wear
Brake hoses and lines: Visual inspection for damage, correct routing and corrosion
Brake fluid: Check level
Clutch: Check play or final position of pedal
Clutch plates: Check for signs of wear
Throttle actuation: Check smoothness of operation, full-throttle position with the tester
Steering gear: Visual inspection of the bellows for signs of damage
Tie rod ends: Check play and dust bellows
Axle joints: Check play; visual inspection of the dust bellows for signs of damage; check tightness of ball joints at the
front axle and screw connections on the suspensions at the front and rear
Drive shafts: Visual inspection of the boots for leaks and signs of damage
Exhaust system: Visual inspection for leaks and signs of damage, check mounts and heat shields
Vacuum units for exhaust flaps: Check function
Magnesium wheels: Visual inspection for damage
Tires: Check condition and tire pressure
Check door locks, lid locks and safety hook of the front lid to ensure that they are seated firmly and function properly
Roof panels: Check function
Rear wing drive: Check fluid level, operation and end position
Vehicle lights: Check operation
All headlights: Check setting
Horn: Check operation
Windshield wiper/washer, headlight washer: Check fluid level and nozzle settings,
make sure to check the antifreeze during winter months
Safety belts: Check operation and condition
Electrical equipment as well as indicator and warning lights: Check operation
During road or dynamometer test: Radio remote control, seats, brake pedal and parking brake
(also operating travel), engine, clutch, steering system, transmission, TC switch, rear wing, heating,
air-conditioning system and instruments: Check operation
Oils, fluids: Visual inspection for leaks
Replace tire sealant
Check batteries for tire pressure control system
Check airbag system
Mounts for assemblies: Visual inspection of all hydraulic mounts for damage
Replace spark plugs
Air cleaner: Replace filter element

Last edited by Heist; 12-01-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:19 PM
TYE
TYE will become famous soon enough
Very sad day indeed. RIP to both of them.

The video is almost angering, making it seem no one even tried to do anything other than record it. I know fire scares a lot of people but still.

It is rumored that the car hit a pothole and lost control.

Old 12-01-2013, 03:14 PM
Rolled_Out is a jewel in the roughRolled_Out is a jewel in the roughRolled_Out is a jewel in the roughRolled_Out is a jewel in the rough
I wonder if GMG will be involved in this as the weeks go on & things start to unravel?

Old 12-01-2013, 03:45 PM
slick911 has a spectacular aura aboutslick911 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by TYE
The video is almost angering, making it seem no one even tried to do anything other than record it. I know fire scares a lot of people but still.
^ ^ My exact reaction when I first saw the vid. Put the phone down and do something!
So sad. RIP

Old 12-01-2013, 03:58 PM
mplv is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by slick911
^ ^ My exact reaction when I first saw the vid. Put the phone down and do something!
So sad. RIP
Have you even been near a fire like that?

Old 12-01-2013, 05:00 PM
0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute
[QUOTE=TYE;3992157]Very sad day indeed. RIP to both of them.

Exactly how I felt while watching the video!
RIP to another two motor heads.

Old 12-01-2013, 05:01 PM
StPatsDay will become famous soon enoughStPatsDay will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by stef430
So sad..... As a two time CGT owner (presently have 7k miles on my second one) and someone who races a Porsche Factory race car - a few observations - the CGT is a very tricky car to drive - even at 5/10ths - In fact, I sold my first one after seeing the aftermath of crashes and hearing how they occurred back in 2004..... More important, this guy may have raced cars or done track events but we need to be careful when assessing whether someone is a race car driver (as opposed to someone that drives races cars) - Walter Rohrl can go past the limits and bring a CGT back - some other rare folks too.... going fast or speeding in a CGT on the street - is really reckless - and doing in with a passenger is even more catastrophic..... so very sad
Good points. Thanks

Old 12-01-2013, 05:03 PM
spf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Heist
Presuming deleted by a Mod at GMG's request. CYA time and leave no dangling ends or tie backs to negative press would be my guess. We are all aware how things play out in an investigation. Recriminations and rumors get tossed about.

EDIT: Not at all an indictment of GMG's work.

I'm sure GMG will be contacted, if they haven't already, considering the extensive tear-down and service which was recently performed.

Who knows where these things lead. If a begreived party is lead to believe that any portion of the accident was caused by mechanical service related issues out come the lawyers. Although I'm sure GMG has enough D&O and E&O insurance to make it a non-issue should someone attempt to wrangle them.

My cached URL only pulled up text from the post:
Post may have been taken down but the pics are still available on picture hosting sites. With that mangled mess I'm guessing it's going to be hard to figure out if a mechanical failure led to the accident.

Old 12-01-2013, 05:13 PM
Rolled_Out is a jewel in the roughRolled_Out is a jewel in the roughRolled_Out is a jewel in the roughRolled_Out is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by spf4000
Post may have been taken down but the pics are still available on picture hosting sites. With that mangled mess I'm guessing it's going to be hard to figure out if a mechanical failure led to the accident.
Link to pics???

TMZ is now reporting that CGT was having issues before they went out on that final ride..
www.tmz.com main story (for now). Read up! Interesting...

Last edited by Rolled_Out; 12-01-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:06 PM
Falcon7x is on a distinguished road
Old 12-01-2013, 06:14 PM
Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by spf4000
The car may be destroyed, but the computer holds a lot of data. Yaw angle, throttle position, steering angle, etc. etc.

Old 12-01-2013, 06:16 PM
mass is infamous around these parts
I have questions that are directed to one or all of the following: medical doctor or EMT, race car driver or someone who has spent a significant amount of time racing.

I will start by saying that hearing and reading this story greatly saddens me. I am of a similar age and to think that he will not be able to experience the thousands of joyful events in life is terrible. My questions are as follows:

1. I am confused how that car is barely identifiable. How fast do you have to be driving to make a car look like that after hitting an object? Is it partially due to the fire damage? Once you lose control of a car (or particularly that car) is it incredibly difficult to regain control?

2. Just how fragile is the human body. It appears and seems that there is an extremely low survival rate in severe car accidents. And this is after the invent of all of the additional safety measures not in place decades ago.

If you've never taken a physics class, please spare me the "it's simple physics of moving this and stationary that." I'm looking to be educated on a technical level and I'm struggling with the frequency of deadly car accidents. Or maybe, I'm just reading about the accidents that result in this conclusion and the hundreds of thousands of other high speed accidents result in the driver walking away.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: unconfirmed: Paul Walker killed in CGT crash