GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Cross country drive in a GT3?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 09:13 AM
cashed is just really nicecashed is just really nicecashed is just really nicecashed is just really nicecashed is just really nice
Cross country drive in a GT3?

I am debating about picking my GT3 up in NYC tomorrow, and driving it back to Dallas?

My main concerns are significant and immediate mileage depreciation, possible road wear(due to it not having a clear wrap yet), and possible weather issues.

But what a trip!
Thoughts?

Last edited by cashed; 11-13-2014 at 09:22 AM.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:06 AM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
I'd have it shrink wrapped and stored in a vault. Just kidding. If you want to drive it that is what I would do. They're smiles not miles.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:01 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Drive it and take us along! My biggest concern would be the weather at this point. Let us know what you end up doing.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:28 AM
cashed is just really nicecashed is just really nicecashed is just really nicecashed is just really nicecashed is just really nice
Flight booked

I may be crazy, but I just bought my flight to NYC. I'll be headed straight to the dealership, once I land. The dealership is wrapping the front today, so that makes me feel a little better about the road wear. As for the weather, I figure head south. Any one have any must sees on the way back to Dallas?

Old 11-13-2014, 12:34 PM
matrog is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Two years ago, I bought my 997.2

in San Antonio. Same day, had the front wrapped. Next morning, drove home to Los Angeles along the 10 Freeway.

Great drive.

Enjoy the journey (but try to avoid the Polar Vortex !)

Old 11-13-2014, 01:31 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cashed
I may be crazy, but I just bought my flight to NYC. I'll be headed straight to the dealership, once I land. The dealership is wrapping the front today, so that makes me feel a little better about the road wear. As for the weather, I figure head south. Any one have any must sees on the way back to Dallas?
yeah, head south, a little rain doesn't hurt anyone. Can't help you with sight seeing but you made the right choice. I drove from Mentor OH to Littleton CO a month and a half ago and I enjoyed my journey. Congrats on your GT3 and have fun driving it. I'm sure you will.

Old 11-13-2014, 03:16 PM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
You are def doing the right thing by driving it back!!!!
Enjoy the trip.

Old 11-13-2014, 05:20 PM
Root is a glorious beacon of lightRoot is a glorious beacon of lightRoot is a glorious beacon of lightRoot is a glorious beacon of lightRoot is a glorious beacon of light
Good for you. Have a safe journey'
I chickened out and had my car shipped from Boston to Longboat Key.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:59 PM
tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !
Cashed stop in Tennessee and hit the tail of the dragon on the way back to Dallas. 318 turns in 11 miles with a new GT3 sounds like heaven to me.

When you get back to Dallas I hope to see the car around town. Possibly cars and coffee next month.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:41 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Safe travels cashed! Enjoy the trip and car

Old 11-14-2014, 08:49 PM
Sladep has a spectacular aura aboutSladep has a spectacular aura aboutSladep has a spectacular aura about
Avoid rain with the Pilot Sport Cups - they simulate barefoot skiing above about 25mph!

Old 11-14-2014, 10:09 PM
orthopod is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cashed
I am debating about picking my GT3 up in NYC tomorrow, and driving it back to Dallas?

My main concerns are significant and immediate mileage depreciation, possible road wear(due to it not having a clear wrap yet), and possible weather issues.

But what a trip!
Thoughts?
I just can't even understand for a driving car like the GT3 the concept of putting too many miles on it. To me, that's just that many more minutes with your butt in the seat of one of the best cars ever.

I understand mileage depreciation on a Mercedes if you want to sell it, but not this car.

Old 11-15-2014, 05:00 AM
After rolling out of NYC yesterday with 8 miles on the odometer, I made it to Staunton Va 7 hours later. It's was slowing going leaving the city, but happily after a couple hours traffic started to subside. I cannot say enough about this car, after owning a 997.1 TT, and driving multiple other cars that compete with the GT3 like the 458, etc. The dealer in NYC instructed me to keep the car under 4500 RPMs till 1000 miles or more. I've had only one pull up to the high 7's. I expect that will change today as I'm headed straight for the Tail of the Dragon!

Thanks for all of the replies, it has been a great experience thus far.

Old 11-15-2014, 11:37 AM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
Chase, Hopefully the weather at higher elevations won't be an issue. The Dragon is a lot of fun but so are a lot of other roads in the area. The Cherohala Skyway being one.

Have fun on the return drive.

Old 11-15-2014, 02:03 PM
roketman is just really niceroketman is just really niceroketman is just really niceroketman is just really niceroketman is just really nice
I drove my Ford GT from Vegas to Boston in September .It was a blast!
No one ever wished on there death bed that they worked more saved more or as in this case drove there cars less!
The guy who dies with the most mileage wins! I’m not saving my car for the next guy!
Some creative packing and some travel shots.Hit 39k on the way back! Every mile has been a smile mile! I had to use my wipers for the first time in 3 years!
We did get treated like kings at the Hyatts!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6981.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	407713   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6959.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	202.4 KB
ID:	407723   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6961.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	681.8 KB
ID:	407724   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6966.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	407725  
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_6970.JPG (152.7 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by roketman; 11-15-2014 at 07:14 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cross country drive in a GT3?