GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

New GT3 with clunky PDK - Is this normal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 03:20 PM
mezger will become famous soon enoughmezger will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Nikolas
This works great, everything goes quiet and smooth. Now, while at the stop, floor it, and drop the paddles!
I tried the two paddle clutch release today, to my surprise it made no difference at all in the noise/vibration aspect. Same churning, etc. Both paddles in~paddles disengaged=no difference.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:32 PM
Money2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mezger
I tried the two paddle clutch release today, to my surprise it made no difference at all in the noise/vibration aspect. Same churning, etc. Both paddles in~paddles disengaged=no difference.
Hmm... When I pull the paddles it comes to a silent/smooth stop. I'm finally starting to form a habit doing it.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:33 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
You are pulling back on both paddles from the auto mode while you come to a stop and nothing changes? Interesting. I'm going to go try it right now.

Old 11-23-2014, 11:37 AM
Update: The dealer is getting the regional service rep online Tuesday when I bring the car in to have a final word on the PDK. I've come to terms with the 'clunkies' thanks to the invaluable feedback from forum members.
A shame less self promotion: The GMG exhaust from my Turbo S has been sold but the Dunlop tires are still available . .
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post4234763

Old 11-23-2014, 06:06 PM
tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !
The double pull on both paddles works on the PDK in the turbo as well. It's fun to use when coming to a stop.

Mezger- good luck with the local rep, I hope it all checks out ok.

Old 11-28-2014, 09:32 PM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by tommyboy214
The double pull on both paddles works on the PDK in the turbo as well. It's fun to use when coming to a stop. Mezger- good luck with the local rep, I hope it all checks out ok.
That's interesting? It's supposedly only a feature of PDK-S, which is not on the Turbo.

Old 11-29-2014, 06:23 AM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tommyboy214
The double pull on both paddles works on the PDK in the turbo as well. It's fun to use when coming to a stop.

Mezger- good luck with the local rep, I hope it all checks out ok.
The double pull on the regular PDK (including TTS) is different to that of PDK-S (GT3). The former is a double pull and release on the paddles and simply disengages the gears and requires the driver to pull a paddle (up or down) to re-engage a gear.

On the GT3, the paddles are pulled and kept that way by the driver with all power and mechanicals in full operational modes but are interrupted which are immediately invoked when the paddles are released. Quite different to the TTS I believe.

This from the GT3 manual:
"PaddleNeutral
The PaddleNeutral function is based on the function of a clutch pedal on vehicles with manual transmission. It can be used to interrupt the power transmission between the engine and the transmission.
- Pull and hold both shift paddles on the steering wheel simultaneously.
When PaddleNeutral is active, the engaged gear flashes in the gear indicator on the tachometer. Power transmission can be re-established by releasing the shift paddles.

Last edited by Haku; 11-29-2014 at 06:28 AM.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:11 AM
HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !
Purchased a new BMW M3 (2013) w/DCT & operated very similar. After some time the perceived problem became invisible to me.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:18 AM
tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !
Haku that is correct in the Turbo PDK is fully disengaged and you are in neutral after a double paddle pull. All you do is a grab a gear with the paddle and you are off. The PDK-S as you mention is still live and automatically back in gear when you release the paddles again.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:21 PM
T911_GT3RS will become famous soon enough
One week into ownership of a new 2015 an ongoing issue is raining on my parade. The transmission up shifts brilliantly but when idling it's an absolute horror. Grinding, clunky, whirring; vibrations as if the engine mounts are broken. This is primarily felt when idling and is most pronounced when slowing below 10 mph - the PDK shifting into second and then first. That's when it feels and sounds like a cement mixer. As long as engine speed is above 1000 rpm everything is silky smooth. When starting, as soon as the clutch engages and rpms climb, the PDK settles down and is the perfect transmission.

Countless reviews of the car in the media never made mention of this so I'm assuming that this is not the norm. The service manager however suggested that this being a race car that this clunkiness is may be in the design. Mine being the sole GT3 to land at this dealership precludes a comparison.

I posted on this forum in the hope that other owners would comment on this predicament. I just traded a Turbo S and that transmission was absolutely transparent. I realize that the GT3 gearing is shorter and shift times are optimized, but my around town driveability is horrendous. And yes, it's my daily driver.
Welcome to the world of the GT3 engine. You will grow to love these sounds. This is a symphony and is beautiful. You will look back and think how glad you are you traded your turbo S. Trust me... I just sold my 2010 turbo for the new 991 GT3. If you think the GT3 is noisy.... you should hear and feel my GT3RS.. You have a very special car. That clatter is becomes addicting!

Old 01-02-2015, 07:41 AM
straight-road is on a distinguished road
normal. the car is not meant to be driven slow. In fact, it sounds like a old school bus when driven slow. The brakes squeals, the engine makes funny sounds and the transmission sounds broken. Just think about it, if it's really broken, it will sound a lot worse at high speed. right?

Old 01-02-2015, 09:08 AM
sportscentury is a jewel in the roughsportscentury is a jewel in the roughsportscentury is a jewel in the rough
One week into ownership of a new 2015 an ongoing issue is raining on my parade. The transmission up shifts brilliantly but when idling it's an absolute horror. Grinding, clunky, whirring; vibrations as if the engine mounts are broken. This is primarily felt when idling and is most pronounced when slowing below 10 mph - the PDK shifting into second and then first. That's when it feels and sounds like a cement mixer. As long as engine speed is above 1000 rpm everything is silky smooth. When starting, as soon as the clutch engages and rpms climb, the PDK settles down and is the perfect transmission.

Countless reviews of the car in the media never made mention of this so I'm assuming that this is not the norm. The service manager however suggested that this being a race car that this clunkiness is may be in the design. Mine being the sole GT3 to land at this dealership precludes a comparison.

I posted on this forum in the hope that other owners would comment on this predicament. I just traded a Turbo S and that transmission was absolutely transparent. I realize that the GT3 gearing is shorter and shift times are optimized, but my around town driveability is horrendous. And yes, it's my daily driver.
Did you give up your Mezger?

Old 01-02-2015, 05:34 PM
petec4s is on a distinguished road
The GT3 PDK transmission needs to "learn" for the first 1000kms or so. It will adapt to auto mode and shift smoothly if you spend some time in auto mode (not pushing sport button). For the break in period I frequently pulled both paddles to put transmission into neutral while coasting to a stop.

This is the fastest shifting transmission on the planet and I promise you will love it once broken in.

Old 01-10-2015, 01:22 PM
Sorry for the long Time-Out'. Two month and a thousand miles into ownership I've come to really really like this car. The GT3 and Turbo have such distinct 'personalities' and I guess that it took some time to adjust to the less civil nature of the GT3. Having the Sharkwerks exhaust helped shape this relationship (pulled the vacuum hoses so the flaps are open full time).

While I still cannot reconcile that German Engineering signed off on this clunker of a transmission I have come to accept its idiosyncracies. I shift almost entirely via paddles and really enjoy it. The trick is to avoid driving around town or becoming stuck in traffic jams; here the PDK reveals its Jekyll/Hyde persona.

All in all I'm very pleased; can't wait to redline it under w/o throttle. And thanks all for the very helpful comments and tips to explain the PDK clunkyness.