GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

how long do they hold their value?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 01:03 PM
DrPeter has a spectacular aura aboutDrPeter has a spectacular aura aboutDrPeter has a spectacular aura about
how long do they hold their value?

I am new to the GT3 and did not monitor the car prior to the 997. It seems the 996 GT3 owners lost a significant amount of their cars value when the 997 came out after only a few short years of ownership.

I am curious, did most of the value get lost when the 997 came out or when the 997 gt3 came out?

Based on what happened to the 996gt3, when should I plan on selling my 997 gt3 so that I dont take heavy losses and still maximize my time ownership of this wonderful car?

Old 07-29-2007, 01:19 PM
TT Tommy is on a distinguished road
don't sell it.

Old 07-29-2007, 01:22 PM
PCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to behold
Your driving a new Porsche...not a classic. Enjoy the car
and forget about the depreciation...the slide has already started!

Old 07-29-2007, 02:18 PM
SrfCity is on a distinguished road
IMO the GT3 will hold it's value for a while. I think P is setting a bit of an example with the 3's and trying to engineer a bit of scarcity which translates to better price retention. It's my undersanding that 3's are not quite as profitable so they may be trying an exclusivity angle. More limited production, PCCB limitation, small '08 allocations etc. We'll see how it shakes out but if you paid MSRP you're good, for now.

Old 07-29-2007, 08:46 PM
NeverFastEnough is on a distinguished road
Enjoy your car for as long as you can. These machines are not investments; we will all lose money.

Also when I picked up my GT3 this weekend I had a chance to talk to my dealer about the future of the Boxster, the Cayman, the Cayenne and more important to this forum...the 911.

It is not clear what engine will be next, but Porsche is aiming at big horsepower, performance, and price for the next 911. It seems they will be trimming down the 911 line to maybe only a couple cars, one version of which will be a "stripped out", more "race oriented" model. This will allow them to allocate more resources to "other vehicles". They are obviously pleased with the success of the GT3(RS) and they want to capitalize upon that.

He really did not have much information on the future of the Boxster or the Cayman. The Cayenne is supposed to have a tricked out, flashy high performance model coming out, but I think that is common knowledge.

So it does not sound like the 997 lines will be depreciating as fast as we all expect. The "replacement for the 997" will be very limited in number and prices "up there" (making the 997TT and anything less a bargain..yes he did tell me the price range, but not to look like a complete idiot as I am highly skeptical, I will keep that number to myself)! Unfortunately it sounds like the "hyped up" prices of the GT3RS are influencing Porsche's finance and marketing plans.....

I guess we will all see what happens...in a few years.

Last edited by NeverFastEnough; 07-29-2007 at 09:13 PM.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:53 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
depends how ur car is optioned. just remember the options on the car don't add much value in resale. i like loaded car with the right options as long as i'm happy with it. can't put a value on that. however, u can only predict the resale value based on the base price of the car not the final MSRP of it. just keep that in mind.

Old 07-30-2007, 03:04 AM
BryanF is on a distinguished road
Here in OZ they tell that production of the 997 GT3 will cease in Sept 07 !!!

Porsche Australia tell me that 997 GT3's will be very rare.Only 40 delivered Australia wide and 15 RS's

I'm not selling !!!!!

Old 07-30-2007, 05:37 AM
PN-
PN- is on a distinguished road
OZ will not receive 08 RS's

Old 08-03-2007, 10:23 AM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
Dr. Peter
consider selling your 40th anniv. 996 before the 997 GT3... jmho.

Old 08-03-2007, 12:19 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Until the next one comes out.

Old 08-03-2007, 12:45 PM
LTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud of
I don't think you can correlate the depreciation hit the 996GT3 (or any 996) took to what the 997GT3 (or any 997) may take. As much as I love the performance of my GT3, it's looks leave a bit to be desired, IMO. Most auto rags and long-time P-car folks who will make comment, decry the departure from the 993-look (I had a 993TT), and welcome the 993-similar look of the 997. The 996 is just going to be the bastard-child of the line, and as such took a bigger than warranted value hit. But the 996GT3 goes like stink!!!!

Old 08-03-2007, 12:49 PM
tocho is on a distinguished road
Stocks are depreciating faster than 911s this week, at least in the US!

Old 08-03-2007, 12:53 PM
Banned
smdteefpuler is on a distinguished road
i dont think the 997 GT3/RS will take as big of depreciation as the 996 did. Porsche is only making about a 1/4 of the GT3 in 08 as they did in 07, just that alone will help the car hold its value.

I know a fleet manager in california and he said that over the next few years of the 997 body style, the TT and GT3 production numbers will decrease and continue to stay low. He said Porsche only makes about 60,000 cars total every year, and they want to increase the production of Cayennes, Caymans, and Boxsters. Thus less TT and GT3.

Just enjoy the car as is and keep the car, the 997 GT3 is one of the best Porsche street/track cars ever made.

Old 08-03-2007, 12:55 PM
speednme is a glorious beacon of lightspeednme is a glorious beacon of lightspeednme is a glorious beacon of lightspeednme is a glorious beacon of lightspeednme is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by PCJR
Your driving a new Porsche...not a classic. Enjoy the car
and forget about the depreciation...the slide has already started!

ditto.......

Old 08-03-2007, 01:08 PM
Griza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud of
You should have bought a used one a year from now...........

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: how long do they hold their value?