GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Powder coat or paint? Also, flat black or gunmetal? Pics inside.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 02:17 PM
datax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud of
Powder coat or paint? Also, flat black or gunmetal? Pics inside.

While the car at the dealer for broken coolent line, I'm thinking of doing something to my stock rims. Wondering about any pros and cons about painting vs powder coating. I track my car couple of times every year and some say that stone chips will create more mess on powder coated rims. So, I'm leaning towards painting considering rims on GT3 RS are also painted ones. But, I'm a bit worry that the paint job might not turn out to be as good or as accurate as powder coating. Any ideas guys??

Here are the photochopped pictures by a friend. It's gonna be either flat black or gunmetal.

Gun metal. I saw this color on Ferrari 360 CS once and it was like a love at first sight.

Flat black. Don't worry about brake dust.

Just for fun.

EDIT: Damn..I don't know how to post a voting poll.

Old 06-25-2007, 02:39 PM
Josh is a jewel in the roughJosh is a jewel in the roughJosh is a jewel in the roughJosh is a jewel in the rough
The powder coating process will fatigue the metal and compromise the structural integrity of the wheels. Chrome does the same thing. You should only paint or anodize wheels.

Old 06-25-2007, 04:35 PM
jakethunder is on a distinguished road
I prefer the gunmetal wheels. However, if you have other black accents around the car I'd go with flat black, that way you can keep to a certain color theme.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:18 PM
alkyoneus has a spectacular aura aboutalkyoneus has a spectacular aura aboutalkyoneus has a spectacular aura about
You cant go wrong with the gunmetal or black, i would only go with the blue ones if you had the gt3rs stickers on the car

Old 06-26-2007, 08:26 AM
|Drew| is on a distinguished road
What about white?

Old 06-26-2007, 08:31 AM
datax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud of
If I do white. It'll be too white. Decided to go with gunmetal or semi-gloss black. Probably sometime next week. Thanks for the inputs fellas.

Old 06-26-2007, 12:14 PM
LUVMYGT3 is on a distinguished road
i agree with jaykkub. if you did them black or gunmetal with a carbon wing and mirrors it would look hot.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:03 PM
Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !
I had my rims painted black and have had no problems. When they do pick up a stone chip I break out the Sharpie and it looks OK unless you are right next to it. If you want to see them let me know and we can get together.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:15 PM
Paris_CarreraS is a jewel in the roughParis_CarreraS is a jewel in the roughParis_CarreraS is a jewel in the rough
blue is sick!!!!!!!

Old 06-26-2007, 02:02 PM
Modaholic
Kevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond repute
To answer your question, I've done both painting and powder coating.
I would lean towards painting, main reason is, if you happen to scuff a rim, you have to get the whole wheel powder coated, if its painted it can be sanded and re-painted. The issue with powder coating is, if you do one wheel, it may not be a exact match to the other 3, the bake process, the powder used, lots of variables to get the exact match and color, where as paint is easier to match up.

Old 06-26-2007, 04:25 PM
Dan
Dan is a splendid one to beholdDan is a splendid one to beholdDan is a splendid one to beholdDan is a splendid one to beholdDan is a splendid one to beholdDan is a splendid one to beholdDan is a splendid one to behold
black or red

Old 06-26-2007, 06:43 PM
Jim Bacus is on a distinguished road
Blue

I like the blue, but obviously I am biased...

Old 06-26-2007, 10:24 PM
Nice^^. I started having wild ideas after seeing these pictures.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm going with painting and gunmetal I guess.