GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

991 GT3 or C7 Z06?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 04:23 PM
AWZR1 is a name known to allAWZR1 is a name known to allAWZR1 is a name known to allAWZR1 is a name known to allAWZR1 is a name known to allAWZR1 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by ExSports2000
One of the best answers I read. About to spring for a used 3 but keep flirting with this like new '10 ZR1/3ZR with less than 5k miles for $18k less. I don't know, I go to a lot of the ALMS stuff and I see both doing pretty damn well.
Either one would be a smile for me but I say that with no direct experience in terms of reliability of each.
track consumables cost is much less for the Chevy than the Porsche if that matters to you--$18k buys a lot of tires/pads

Old 07-05-2015, 08:42 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ExSports2000
I don't know, I go to a lot of the ALMS stuff and I see both doing pretty damn well.
Interestingly the Z06 in ALMS (now Tudor USCC) is a normally aspirated 5.5L V8. The street car is an unrelated supercharged V8 and the heat soak/oil temp issue for lap days has been covered.

Also, it seems there are no Corvettes in the Pirelli World Challenge. Are they not making enough reliable horsepower normally aspirated?

Originally Posted by AWZR1
track consumables cost is much less for the Chevy than the Porsche if that matters to you--$18k buys a lot of tires/pads
Incorrect. PCCBs are a $9210 option on the 997 GT3. They are also optional on the Z06 and its a moot point if you're pitting every 3 laps.

Also, the 997 offers the front end lift kit, exterior appearance options and an optional 23.7 gallon fuel tank. If I were shopping, I would drive the Z06 but I'm 99% certain I would purchase the Porsche.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:57 AM
AWZR1 is a name known to allAWZR1 is a name known to allAWZR1 is a name known to allAWZR1 is a name known to allAWZR1 is a name known to allAWZR1 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Interestingly the Z06 in ALMS (now Tudor USCC) is a normally aspirated 5.5L V8. The street car is an unrelated supercharged V8 and the heat soak/oil temp issue for lap days has been covered.

Also, it seems there are no Corvettes in the Pirelli World Challenge. Are they not making enough reliable horsepower normally aspirated?

Incorrect. PCCBs are a $9210 option on the 997 GT3. They are also optional on the Z06 and its a moot point if you're pitting every 3 laps.

Also, the 997 offers the front end lift kit, exterior appearance options and an optional 23.7 gallon fuel tank. If I were shopping, I would drive the Z06 but I'm 99% certain I would purchase the Porsche.
No, you are incorrect.
I own both.... a 991 GT3 with Carbon Ceramics and a ZR1 with Carbon Ceramics..do you?

The $18k is not the cost of the brakes DA, it's the price difference in cars the OP quoted...why don't you re-read it?

Originally Posted by ExSports2000 View Post
One of the best answers I read. About to spring for a used 3 but keep flirting with this like new '10 ZR1/3ZR with less than 5k miles for $18k less. I don't know, I go to a lot of the ALMS stuff and I see both doing pretty damn well.
Either one would be a smile for me but I say that with no direct experience in terms of reliability of each.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:05 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
No, you are incorrect.
I own both.... a 991 GT3 with Carbon Ceramics and a ZR1 with Carbon Ceramics..do you?

The $18k is not the cost of the brakes DA, it's the price difference in cars the OP quoted...why don't you re-read it?
[/COLOR]
The point that you missed is either need to be ordered without ceramics for a more cost effective frequent track day car. So how are pads and tires significantly less for the Chevrolet?

So since you're pulling an attitude, do you need to re-write it? Have you tracked the Z06? How did that go for you?

And no I don't own both, but I could if I wanted to.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:09 PM
Old 07-06-2015, 12:15 PM
The point that you missed is either need to be ordered without ceramics for a more cost effective frequent track day car. So how are pads and tires significantly less for the Chevrolet?

So since you're pulling an attitude, do you need to re-write it? Have you tracked the Z06? How did that go for you?

And no I don't own both, but I could if I wanted to.
Yes, I have...the Z07 package at WGI

and no, I don't need to rewrite it, you need to re-read it again...he said that the difference in price of the two cars was $18k and I simply replied that you could buy a lot of pads (or rotors, or gas, or second set of wheels/slicks, or extra DE events, or coaching etc...)with that $18,000...meaning that track consumables like pads, rotors and tires/wheels will be lower on the Chevy than on the Porsche.

The only thing more expensive (as long as both are equipped with CCM brakes) is full as both the ZR1 and the C7Z06/07 will get 4-5 mpg on track.

I have no doubt you could afford both these cars and many more exotic than these, but if you haven't owned and tracked and had to price out the consumables, then perhaps you are not as familiar as I am with the costs.

Last edited by AWZR1; 07-06-2015 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:24 PM
Here you go pal...

$14k for ROTORS ONLY for GT3
http://www.racingbrake.com/RB-CCM-Pa...por-crk-02.htm

$4k for ROTORS ONLY for ZR1
Amazon.com: ACDelco 177-1120 GM Original Equipment Front Disc Brake Rotor: Automotive

pads have the same Porsche tax on them
Those are prices for CCBs that most exchange out for iron rotors when doing frequent track days. Those price differences are significant indeed.

Yes, I have...the Z07 package at WGI
How was it?

and no, I don't need to rewrite it, you need to re-read it again...he said that the difference in price of the two cars was $18k and I simply replied that you could buy a lot of pads (or rotors, or gas, or second set of wheels/slicks, or extra DE events, or coaching etc...)with that $18,000...meaning that track consumables like pads, rotors and tires/wheels will be lower on the Chevy than on the Porsche.

The only thing more expensive (as long as both are equipped with CCM brakes) is full as both the ZR1 and the C7Z06/07 will get 4-5 mpg on track.

I have no doubt you could afford both these cars and many more exotic than these, but if you haven't owned and tracked and had to price out the consumables, then perhaps you are not as familiar as I am with the costs.
You're referring to CCBs, which makes sense. I was referring to iron rotors as preferred by frequent track day participants since CCBs will also wear out.

Are the tires that much more expensive between the two? One other thought, the heavier Z06, with more weight over the front tires, will it mean more frequent tire replacement when tracking frequently?

Old 07-06-2015, 12:45 PM
Thumbs up

Those are prices for CCBs that most exchange out for iron rotors when doing frequent track days. Those price differences are significant indeed.

How was it?

You're referring to CCBs, which makes sense. I was referring to iron rotors as preferred by frequent track day participants since CCBs will also wear out.

Are the tires that much more expensive between the two? One other thought, the heavier Z06, with more weight over the front tires, will it mean more frequent tire replacement when tracking frequently?
ok, I think we are talking about two separate things..

anyways, I was really saying that the extra $18k he would saved would buy all those things I mentioned, obviously it would buy more # of iron rotors than CCM

for the record if I had to trade one I would trade in the Vette

the Z07 was awesome on track (it is my buddy's) very similar to my ZR1 but with more grip, and obviously nicer interior (still not as nice as my GT3) and tech stuff like the PDR...my car has around 740 hp so straight line speed is about the same.

It was a cool May morning and afternoon in NYS, so all the terrible overheating issues you read about over on the CF were not an issue that day and has never been with my ZR1.

The tires are going to be about the same for both...they both use Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2's (or Supersports if you have a non-Z07)...but if tracking more frequently & seriously I would just get a second set of 18" fin speeds with scrub slicks from GTRacing.com.
I have a second set of Speedline Cup wheels and MP cup tires (basically slicks on out 2/3 after one session) and trailer my car so I can switch wheels if it rains.

If I lived in Florida, California, Texas or Arizona, I would leave a Z06/07 home and just drive the NA Porsche to avoid overheating problems.

Last edited by AWZR1; 07-06-2015 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:52 PM
ok, I think we are talking about two separate things..

anyways, I was really saying that the extra $18k he would saved would buy all those things I mentioned, obviously it would buy more # of iron rotors than CCM

for the record if I had to trade one I would trade in the Vette

the Z07 was awesome on track (it is my buddy's) very similar to my ZR1 but with more grip, and obviously nicer interior (still not as nice as my GT3) and tech stuff like the PDR...my car has around 740 hp so straight line speed is about the same.

It was a cool May morning and afternoon in NYS, so all the terrible overheating issues you read about over on the CF were not an issue that day and has never been with my ZR1.

The tires are going to be about the same for both...they both use Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2's (or Supersports if you have a non-Z07)...but if tracking more frequently & seriously I would just get a second set of 18" fin speeds with scrub slicks from GTRacing.com.
I have a second set of Speedline Cup wheels and MP cup tires (basically slicks on out 2/3 after one session) and trailer my car so I can switch wheels if it rains.

If I lived in Florida, California, Texas or Arizona, I would leave a Z06/07 home and just drive the NA Porsche to avoid overheating problems.
Great info, thanks!

Old 07-06-2015, 02:25 PM
FLAT6KING will become famous soon enoughFLAT6KING will become famous soon enough
Here you go pal...

$14k for ROTORS ONLY for GT3
http://www.racingbrake.com/RB-CCM-Pa...por-crk-02.htm

$4k for ROTORS ONLY for ZR1
Amazon.com: ACDelco 177-1120 GM Original Equipment Front Disc Brake Rotor: Automotive

pads have the same Porsche tax on them
Wow, Porsche love costs so much.....too bad I want PCCB's on my car. I wish the AC Delco parts fit.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by FLAT6KING
Wow, Porsche love costs so much.....too bad I want PCCB's on my car. I wish the AC Delco parts fit.
yeah, don't even ask about the Ferrari tax!!