GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

997.2 vs 991 GT3 I know, I know...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 09:35 PM
Michael Adair is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by akunob
Agree, to some extent. The video demonstrates straight line acceleration and just how dominant the 991's extra HP and PDK are. If you note at the end, Sabine mentions that she would need to run the 991 through the Nordschleife to determine which is truly quicker around a track given the 991's weight disadvantage (I posit that the 991 still posts a quicker time, it is simply a much better platform than the car it replaced).

That said, the OP made no mention of what specifically he was looking for (albeit if you are looking at GT3's you should have some track duty in mind), that said, I would think it's for the OP to determine whether a comparative visual on acceleration matters to him or not in his decision making.
All good guys. I understand the pros and cons of the platforms. I've seen this video a million times. I may hazard a guess that Sabine in the end may prefer the 997 just based on her familiarity with it. There is just something utilitarian about the 997's, the race heritage, the Mezger etc. In a weird way I also don't think I should skip the 997 and get a 991 later. Sort of experience the best of both. I also have never driven a PDK or flappy paddle of any kind. Every car has been a 6MT. I appreciate the feedback this is a good bunch of car guys...

Old 03-04-2015, 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by golfnutintib
My 2 cents. Unless you are a die hard manual transmission lover, I would go 991 GT3 without hesitation... under warranty, latest technology, it will go down in history as one of the very best Porsche's ever made. For those who say it is not exciting to drive, well, I seriously doubt they have driven it. In addition to the sheer speed advantage, the 991 GT3 is actually a much wider bandwidth car than the 997 GT3. Much faster when it's about going fast, and absolutely thrilling while doing so. More comfortable and usable when it's about that as well. The 997 will pound you to death over road imperfections and your left leg will cramp up after driving around town. Only qualification I would make is that the 991 platform is longer and wider and thus much more stable, so the sensation of speed at any given speed is a bit higher in the smaller, narrower 997 chassis. But this does not make the 991 GT3 any less of a thrill to drive at speed.

There are hard questions and then there are are easy ones. The one you pose is an easy one IMHO. Especially with the 997 version going at the stupid prices they are currently. At under $80-90K vs. $140-150K, maybe more of a 50-50... (and just remember, the REGULAR 991 Carrera S surpasses the 997 GT3's lap time at the 'Ring...think about that...)
Nice response. Great points. Even worse I just saw a 2015 Guards Red Carrera GTS with aero cup kit for 137K. Probably better in every way than a 997.2 GT3. New/warranty/updated/livable/faster etc. etc. But at the end of the day it's still not a GT3 and it's less than 10K from a '14 991 GT3. Porsche has absolutely marketed four cars within an inch of each other and it's irritating as hell.

Last edited by Michael Adair; 03-04-2015 at 09:54 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by HOUSE Motorsports
You need to drive both at the very least.

Preferably back to back. Really does come down to the manual transmission choice...!
Agreed. No 991 GT3'S in Minneapolis fly over country...

Old 03-08-2015, 08:24 AM
rob in potomac is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Michael Adair
Nice response. Great points. Even worse I just saw a 2015 Guards Red Carrera GTS with aero cup kit for 137K. Probably better in every way than a 997.2 GT3. New/warranty/updated/livable/faster etc. etc. But at the end of the day it's still not a GT3 and it's less than 10K from a '14 991 GT3. Porsche has absolutely marketed four cars within an inch of each other and it's irritating as hell.

Tough decision - but one many of us have also considered. Couple of points that I found important - the 991 GT3 should be a much more friendly track car, just because of the paddles. I drove a F1 transmission for many years on the track until I bought a 997.2 GT3 which was set up by TPC. I thoroughly enjoyed this car at the track but as others have said, did not enjoy the drive around town - therefore, it was essentially a track car except for the long trips to the Glen or VIR. I haven't driven the 991 except for minimal local drives and am looking forward to getting it to the track in a few weeks.

As far as the GTS is concerned, there is no comparison between it (at least a 997) and either of the GT3's. I have a GTS cab, that I use sometimes as a DD and while it is a fantastic car, better than any "standard" 997, even with PDK, it is no comparison to a GT3. Perhaps the 991 GTS is much different, but I truly doubt it is even close to a GT3.

The answer for you is you really need to drive both cars; if a local dealer either doesn't have one or both available, there must be someone in your local PCA club that will take you for ride and if you beg enough, permit you to drive it on the street.

See below for my former white 997 and current black 991 GT3's. In fact, if you decide to buy a 997.2, take a look at the white one. It is at Porsche of Tysons Corner, they left the roll bar in and I have racing seats to fit it, if interested.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	GT3  991 and 997 rear.jpg
Views:	3089
Size:	3.40 MB
ID:	415823   Click image for larger version

Name:	GT3 991 and 997.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	2.88 MB
ID:	415824  
Old 03-08-2015, 10:52 AM
hiroshikato1 is on a distinguished road
Is it an everday car, track car or weekend car?

I don't think that anyone can fault either car. I own a 997.1 GT3 with FVD headers/exhaust and absolutely love it but my good friend got one of the first 991 GT3's in Northern California. I have been in it and driven it numerous times. It is a wonderful car! Faster, more comfortable, better interior and my wife loves the ride compared to the 997. But for me, the 991 GT3 is like the GTR, a technological marvel but something that I am a fan of rather than an owner. You can go so fast while drinking a latte and not thinking about driving. Yeah, yeah, I know that there are those who will say that this allows you to concentrate on driving but I think that is pure BS. Again, if this is a daily car then 991 all the way. If it is a weekend car that you take short trips with and track on occasionally, 997 GT3. BTW since getting a new motor from Germany months ago, my friend was recently infromed that he now needs a new PDK transmission! I guess I am a dying breed of driver that wants a manual transmission and plan on never selling my 997 but would entertain adding a 991 GT3. Hope this helps. Regards. Hiro

Old 03-08-2015, 11:08 AM
Thanks Rob...

More good feedback. It's funny, but I have been looking at your car already. Even spoke to them once (They never got back to me). It's definitely one of the white cars in the running. The other is the white 997 in Louisville. There are actually three cars all within 5K of each other in mileage and price now...

Thanks for the pics. First time I have seen both cars side by side.

May I PM you if I have any questions on your car?

Mj

Old 03-08-2015, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by hiroshikato1
I don't think that anyone can fault either car. I own a 997.1 GT3 with FVD headers/exhaust and absolutely love it but my good friend got one of the first 991 GT3's in Northern California. I have been in it and driven it numerous times. It is a wonderful car! Faster, more comfortable, better interior and my wife loves the ride compared to the 997. But for me, the 991 GT3 is like the GTR, a technological marvel but something that I am a fan of rather than an owner. You can go so fast while drinking a latte and not thinking about driving. Yeah, yeah, I know that there are those who will say that this allows you to concentrate on driving but I think that is pure BS. Again, if this is a daily car then 991 all the way. If it is a weekend car that you take short trips with and track on occasionally, 997 GT3. BTW since getting a new motor from Germany months ago, my friend was recently infromed that he now needs a new PDK transmission! I guess I am a dying breed of driver that wants a manual transmission and plan on never selling my 997 but would entertain adding a 991 GT3. Hope this helps. Regards. Hiro
Thank you Hiro! It does help. All feedback does. It always serves to solidify my thoughts on both cars. I'm definitely NOT a DD guy. I'm a 2 track day a year and a Sunday afternoon ride through the twisties along the Mississippi river on the Wisconsin side or maybe to the cabin. But I have DD work car.

Thanks again...

Old 03-09-2015, 10:20 AM
Shark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really nice
Originally Posted by hiroshikato1
Faster, more comfortable, better interior and my wife loves the ride compared to the 997.
As I'm looking for the most versitile car (semi-DD, light track duty for a beginner) the comment above really hits home for me and why the 991 is a better value and fit for me.

I have a DD and an outragious weekender with a manual transmission so a serious but comfortable GT3 would be awesome.

Old 03-09-2015, 03:41 PM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Shark01
As I'm looking for the most versitile car (semi-DD, light track duty for a beginner) the comment above really hits home for me and why the 991 is a better value and fit for me.

I have a DD and an outragious weekender with a manual transmission so a serious but comfortable GT3 would be awesome.
As I mentioned before. Drive them both and you will never look at the 997 GT3 again. Everyone I know that's a previous owner of a 997 GT3 has said the same thing. The only area that's better about the 997 is steering feel. In every other category, the 991 is better. Spring and Summer are coming and once the significant portion of new owners start getting their 991's on the track, you'll hear this more and more. The 997's will be left in the dust by the 991 making more of the "purist" crowd convert.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:30 AM
rob in potomac is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Michael Adair
Thanks Rob...

May I PM you if I have any questions on your car?

Mj
Sure, send me a pm with any questions.

Rob

Old 03-10-2015, 06:51 PM
Easy888 is a jewel in the roughEasy888 is a jewel in the roughEasy888 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by chiroporsche
I think that the newer platform is lightyears ahead of the 997s. So I'd say 991 Gt3 all the way, unless you want a manual. I will say this however... I did prefer the size of the 997 car vs the 991. The 991 feels big to me. My other car is listed below and there is a huge difference in the 'feel' of the sizes of these cars.
Agree wholeheartedly. The difference in chassis feel is evident. I love the size of the 997 (I have the turbo) which feels nimble. By comparison the size of the 991 feels almost GTish because the dimensions are so big (have a 991 GT3 as well). But then again the 991 chassis feels so much stiffer and better built and this equates to a better daily driver. I would say that if you plan on using the car daily get the 991 GT3, you will end up using the car more and getting more for your money.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:29 AM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
You mentioned the Gt4 and then no one said anything. Unless you need the 911 might wanna wait for that. I am in the same boat. Do i sell my turbo and get a Gt3, or keep the turbo and get a gt4?

Old 03-22-2015, 02:27 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Here's another angle. If you want to park your money in a reasonably safe place, the 997.2 makes a lot more sense. They are building far too many 991 GT3s and the resale value won't be kind. You'll probably see 997.2 GT3s worth more than 991 GT3s in short order.

I'm not hating on the 991 GT3 btw, as I think they are fabulous cars and I'd love to also own one. I'm just trying to give you another point of consideration. Good luck with your decision, as I know it's hard to be a 'working stiff' and make these kind of decisions since I'm one myself.

Old 03-22-2015, 02:54 PM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
Here's another angle. If you want to park your money in a reasonably safe place, the 997.2 makes a lot more sense. They are building far too many 991 GT3s and the resale value won't be kind. You'll probably see 997.2 GT3s worth more than 991 GT3s in short order. I'm not hating on the 991 GT3 btw, as I think they are fabulous cars and I'd love to also own one. I'm just trying to give you another point of consideration. Good luck with your decision, as I know it's hard to be a 'working stiff' and make these kind of decisions since I'm one myself.
There's not that many. 2014 production worldwide was 785. 2015 production worldwide around 2500.

Old 03-22-2015, 03:01 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Nikolas
There's not that many. 2014 production worldwide was 785. 2015 production worldwide around 2500.
Well, the production run of 991 GT3s isn't over yet either. I can tell you from one of our local Porsche dealers perspective that they are frantic to get more clean pre-owned 997s, and demand remains very strong for them. The 991 variant has already begun its natural depreciation curve.

I don't a crystal ball...so these are just thoughtful comments, not fearless predictions.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997.2 vs 991 GT3 I know, I know...