GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

997.2 vs 991 GT3 I know, I know...

Old 03-22-2015, 05:45 PM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
Well, the production run of 991 GT3s isn't over yet either. I can tell you from one of our local Porsche dealers perspective that they are frantic to get more clean pre-owned 997s, and demand remains very strong for them. The 991 variant has already begun its natural depreciation curve.

I don't a crystal ball...so these are just thoughtful comments, not fearless predictions.
New 991 GT3 allocations are done. Also, where is this natural depreciation curve? Rennlist had 3 posts just last week of people asking to buy used cars at MSRP. I can't speak for the 2014s but the 2015s with lightweight buckets seem highly desirable.

Old 03-22-2015, 06:12 PM
Buddhist w/GT3 is on a distinguished road
Smile

There is no reason for a manual transmission 997 GT3 that has been taken care of to devalue. Most of them are appreciating.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:06 PM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
Well, the production run of 991 GT3s isn't over yet either. I can tell you from one of our local Porsche dealers perspective that they are frantic to get more clean pre-owned 997s, and demand remains very strong for them. The 991 variant has already begun its natural depreciation curve. I don't a crystal ball...so these are just thoughtful comments, not fearless predictions.
The last are being produced now....30 special PTS units spread across the country. The amount coming in now is much less than the December / January deliveries. I personally haven't seen the depreciation you speak of. With the exception of 2 cars on Rennlist, all are going for MSRP with mileage. The two outliers, are for about 2k below, and one has a "story".

Old 03-22-2015, 08:52 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Ah, I'm not really looking to argue about anything here...just throw out some points that may not have been considered regarding longer-term valuations as I thought I'd seen some 2014 991 GT3's already on their normal depreciation curve. Maybe I'm crazy about 991 GT3 values and saw something outlandish like the 2 cars you spoke of above!

Carry on!

Old 03-22-2015, 10:03 PM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
No worries Steve. There was one that was going for $125k, that had been in an accident with significant damage. Another was going for $132k that many claimed was huge depreciation, when it actually had an MSRP of only $134k. Some 2014 owners may not worry too much about a $2k loss since most averaged $8k-&14k back from Porsche.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:44 AM
Michael Adair is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Squat
You mentioned the Gt4 and then no one said anything. Unless you need the 911 might wanna wait for that. I am in the same boat. Do i sell my turbo and get a Gt3, or keep the turbo and get a gt4?
It's a wonderful drivers car the GT4. For sure better than I can drive. My issue is that I have had a Cayman S Sport and I want to do the 911 thing. I still can't quite get over the fact that it's almost 100hp down on a 991 GT3 as well and 50hp on a 997.

Old 03-23-2015, 10:00 AM
Here's another angle. If you want to park your money in a reasonably safe place, the 997.2 makes a lot more sense. They are building far too many 991 GT3s and the resale value won't be kind. You'll probably see 997.2 GT3s worth more than 991 GT3s in short order.

I'm not hating on the 991 GT3 btw, as I think they are fabulous cars and I'd love to also own one. I'm just trying to give you another point of consideration. Good luck with your decision, as I know it's hard to be a 'working stiff' and make these kind of decisions since I'm one myself.
Well said, Theodore. I am a working stiff and this is a damn tough decision. The 991 is a such a better car in every way build wise. If you look at them long enough the 997's look positively plain interior wise. I'm liking the dual nature of the 991 too, leaving the car in drive in town etc.

I'm just not a 6 track day a year guy. More like one coupled with fast road driving. All of that said, if the right 997 shows up, sport buckets, full leather, cool color combo and some deviations I might bite, save the 30 grand and buy a new work vehicle to boot.

I can't stretch to a 997RS which is extremely desirable but I doubt I could happily daily drive one.

Worse yet, I still can't find a 991 to drive or ride in, welcome to flyover country.

Such problems...

Old 03-23-2015, 10:28 AM
Ah, I'm not really looking to argue about anything here...just throw out some points that may not have been considered regarding longer-term valuations as I thought I'd seen some 2014 991 GT3's already on their normal depreciation curve. Maybe I'm crazy about 991 GT3 values and saw something outlandish like the 2 cars you spoke of above!

Carry on!
Odds and ends...

I watched three dealer white 997's pretty much optioned the way I wanted start in the 130's and then drop to 123-125K and then sit for 60 days at that price. One has sold and the other two are still available. Most dealer cars are taking about 45-60 days to sell..

Private sellers with 997's are probably more realistic and have great cars in the 115K range and some dealers who know the market are in that price range as well.

2014 991's with some mileage are at MSRP (mid 140's) at dealers but seem to be somewhat negotiable depending on the dealer and car. Private party 2014's are now slightly lower. I have seen 4 cars in the low 140's and a 135K car.

Most 2015's are at MSRP or a tad higher. I have only seen one 2014 or 2015 car with sport buckets. They are rare. There is a great 2015 Red with deviated stitching, carbon package, black rims and sadly red gauges at Rancho Mirage Porsche that is a peach and it's at MSRP.

There are always super high priced odd outliers in both models at dealers that just don't make sense. Dealers that I think just don't know market or are willing to wait for the un-informed buyer..

I think it's too early to see any pattern of depreciation or appreciation. It's seems it has more to do with dealer or private, then miles, then options on the cars than anything..

This is NOT scientific data! Just observations from guy who has nothing better to do than shop for GT3's all day

Mj

Last edited by Michael Adair; 03-23-2015 at 10:34 AM.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by Michael Adair
Odds and ends... I watched three dealer white 997's pretty much optioned the way I wanted start in the 130's and then drop to 123-125K and then sit for 60 days at that price. One has sold and the other two are still available. Most dealer cars are taking about 45-60 days to sell.. Private sellers with 997's are probably more realistic and have great cars in the 115K range and some dealers who know the market are in that price range as well. 2014 991's with some mileage are at MSRP (mid 140's) at dealers but seem to be somewhat negotiable depending on the dealer and car. Private party 2014's are now slightly lower. I have seen 4 cars in the low 140's and a 135K car. Most 2015's are at MSRP or a tad higher. I have only seen one 2014 or 2015 car with sport buckets. They are rare. There is a great 2015 Red with deviated stitching carbon package, black rims and sadly red gauges at Ranch Mirage Porsche that car is a peach and it's at MSRP. I think it's too early to see any pattern of depreciation or appreciation. It's seems it has more to do with dealer or private, then miles, then options on the cars than anything.. This is NOT scientific data! Just observations from guy who has nothing better to do than shop for GT3's all day Mj
Keep in mind, "stripper" cars will have MSRP in the low $130k. You could order a no option car (I know of several) for $130,400. Only the 2015s could get the sport buckets, and yes, there aren't too many of those.

Last edited by Nikolas; 03-23-2015 at 10:34 AM.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by Nikolas
Keep in mind, "stripper" cars will have MSRP in the low $130k. You could order a no option car (I know of several) for $130,400. Only the 2015s could get the sport buckets, and yes, there aren't too many of those.
Got it. Good info. I haven't seen any of the strippers (hmmm...). Good to know about the sport buckets. They look fantastic...

Old 03-23-2015, 04:20 PM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Michael Adair
Got it. Good info. I haven't seen any of the strippers (hmmm...). Good to know about the sport buckets. They look fantastic...
Just to add another data point to your search. Only November and beyond 2015 builds could get LWBs.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by RossL
Just to add another data point to your search. Only November and beyond 2015 builds could get LWBs.
Makes even more sense. Thanks...

Old 12-21-2016, 08:01 AM
elrobinio is an unknown quantity at this point
Flyover Country

Hello Michael,

I was wondering how your search has been going, did you end up finding a 997?

Thanks!

Old 01-20-2017, 02:14 AM
GTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really nice
Old thread but here's my opinion and decision...I owned both a 997.1 GT3 and 2015 991 GT3 simulataneously. True, the 991 was a superior car. It was faster, handled more predictably, and was more comfortable to drive daily. However, the 997 had a raw, connected to the road feeling. I loved the 6 speed transmission...clutch and shifter. I sold both cars last year. I miss them both!

However, just this week, I was able to acquire another GT3. I bought a 997.2 GT3! No regrets! Hopefully no depreciation either! Have you seen the price drops with the 991? They are now close in retail value when you compare the 2011 to 2014 resale askings.

Old 01-20-2017, 10:31 AM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GTRR
However, just this week, I was able to acquire another GT3. I bought a 997.2 GT3! No regrets! Hopefully no depreciation either! Have you seen the price drops with the 991? They are now close in retail value when you compare the 2011 to 2014 resale askings.
Congrats on your new 997.2 GT3, the best GT3 IMO. Personally, I was and still not a fan of a PDK GT3. I could only imagine the price of the 991.1 GT3 will drop even further as the new 991.2 GT3 will come in MT as standard. Actually, I think all GT3 across the board will drop in value.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997.2 vs 991 GT3 I know, I know...