GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Euro delivery of my new RS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 12:18 AM
valex is on a distinguished road
Euro delivery of my new RS

So, got back a couple of weeks ago from my RS delivery, just forgot to post it. I picked it up July 1st in stuttgart and drove it for 2 weeks and almost 1900 miles. Through the alps and on the ring. Such a wonderful car, and amazingly comfortable (we did some 7 hour driving days and my wife didn't complain (much) that's saying something!)

Feel free to ask any questions..

Old 07-26-2015, 05:48 AM
StPatsDay will become famous soon enoughStPatsDay will become famous soon enough
Fantastic! Congrats on the RS and a great trip. Where else did you stop and what were some of the highlights of your tour?

Old 07-26-2015, 08:02 AM
Originally Posted by StPatsDay
Fantastic! Congrats on the RS and a great trip. Where else did you stop and what were some of the highlights of your tour?
Well, where to start...

So this was my first ED, and also my first time in Germany.

The factory tour was wonderful, and pretty much a private tour (there was only one other person taking ED that day with me, so got to ask a lot of question) One of the other interesting things was that one of our guides spoke english. Seemed like a college age kid that was interning. Eventually found out he was in high school. Finally asked how in the hell he got the gig of interning for porsche in high school, and he said his dad had a few connections. I put two and two together (he told me his last name was bell)... It's Darek Bell's kid! So of course the rest of the tour I was less interested in porsche's and more interested in bugging him questions about his father. Super nice kid as well.

When we left stuttgart the next day we headed through the black forest (b500 route) and ended up in Switzerland. We spent the next few days driving through the alp passes (furka, grimsel, etc) and then went to Austria for a couple of days. Drove the fern pass out of austria up to munich to visit friends and drink some good beer. Spend 3 semi-drunken days in munich then headed to rothenburg for a night. After that it was 3 days at nurburgring and then back to stuttgart.

Highlights? For car driving, the alp passes and the nurburgring. The alps were just magnificent. Words and photos can't even begin to express the sheer beauty of that area, and the scale. The driving was good as well. Not too crowded in the early morning.

The nurburgring is like a dream come true for me. Was supposed to only be there one night, but ended up staying 3 days. Rented a car (renault clio, haha) for the first day to really brush up on the track since I'd only played it in video games before. Then I took the RS on the track, and wow.. I couldn't get the smile off my face for days. The place really is a car nut mecca. So many nice cars, so many nice people, and everyone just loves motorsports. I felt at home.

For non car, fell in love with switzerland. Especially interlaken and the surrounding areas. So much so that I plan on renting a home for 6 weeks next year during the late summer to just relax. Also, the munich beer gardens were a blast. My friend was born and raised in munich and his vote (mine too) for best outdoor beer garden is augustiner should anyone else go.

If anyone is thinking about doing the ED, don't think about it, just do it. There is nothing like driving your new car in germany. The roads are perfect, the drivers are very good, and coming back to the states and driving was frustrating to say the least.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:19 PM
StPatsDay will become famous soon enoughStPatsDay will become famous soon enough
^^^ valex thank you for sharing. I'm inspired to do ED its on my list. The alps passes and the 'ring sounds so great. Was in France this summer long enough to really loathe American drivers when I returned btw. Congrats on the RS again man.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:58 AM
jlee504 is on a distinguished road
Can you compare it to the 991 GT3? Lots of is in the current GT3 are wondering whether it's worth the extra dollars.

Jeff

Old 07-27-2015, 10:05 PM
911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !
Great story of ED and thanks for sharing. That's definitely the way to go. One question: Can they clear bra it for you? I would do it so long as they can protect it.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by 911-AL
Great story of ED and thanks for sharing. That's definitely the way to go. One question: Can they clear bra it for you? I would do it so long as they can protect it.
sorry for the delay.

Porsche I'm sure would not clear bra it for you. However, i'm sure there are places in stuttgart that would.

I honestly wouldn't be worried about it if I were you. The roads over there are MUCH cleaner than here. 1900 miles and not a single rock chip, and that includes the swiss alps. I didn't baby it, I drove it, but either way, no rock chips that I could see when I dropped it back off.

It's an experience not worth missing for the fear of a few little chips anyhow though.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by jlee504
Can you compare it to the 991 GT3? Lots of is in the current GT3 are wondering whether it's worth the extra dollars.

Jeff
It was worth it to me, but your results may vary.

I don't have a ton of time in the non rs, but from what I can quickly tell, there is a whole lot more steering/road feel. It's absolutely a beast on the track, but im sure the normal gt3 is as well.

Looking at the wing in the rear view mirror brings a smile every time too.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:44 AM
911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by valex
sorry for the delay.

Porsche I'm sure would not clear bra it for you. However, i'm sure there are places in stuttgart that would.

I honestly wouldn't be worried about it if I were you. The roads over there are MUCH cleaner than here. 1900 miles and not a single rock chip, and that includes the swiss alps. I didn't baby it, I drove it, but either way, no rock chips that I could see when I dropped it back off.

It's an experience not worth missing for the fear of a few little chips anyhow though.
I get your point 1000%, thanks for sharing the experience with us.