GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Rattling? Heat shield?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 09:53 AM
moester76 is on a distinguished road
Rattling? Heat shield?

Members

I took my 2010 GT3 into the dealership for a Rattling noise I hear when it's in idle and when throttling after they replaced all 4 catalytic converters a few months ago.

They said it looks like a loose heat shield. They said nothing needs to be done and scrape it off at an aging car.

Is this professional in your opinion? Is there a problem with leaving a loose heat shield and why isn't it fixable ? Why are they refusing to fix it?

The car is out of warranty and I didn't extend the warranty on it.

Thanks

Old 02-14-2016, 10:24 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by moester76
Members

I took my 2010 GT3 into the dealership for a Rattling noise I hear when it's in idle and when throttling after they replaced all 4 catalytic converters a few months ago.

They said it looks like a loose heat shield. They said nothing needs to be done and scrape it off at an aging car.

Is this professional in your opinion? Is there a problem with leaving a loose heat shield and why isn't it fixable ? Why are they refusing to fix it?

The car is out of warranty and I didn't extend the warranty on it.

Thanks
Impossible to know for sure but the noise if in fact from a heat shield could be due to something the dealer did when it replaced the converters.

Unfortunately, this happens, based on my experience, far more often then one would like.

For example with my Boxster a few years ago I had it for new CV boots. The tech found the half shaft bolt heads nearly stripped. These were done when I had my Boxster in for a new RMS way back in 2002 at a dealer. More recently had my Turbo in and tech had to remove the bumper cover. Tech found loose radiator hold down bolts and missing bumper cover fastener hardware. I just had the radiators replaced at a dealer in January of 2015.

Based on what the dealer told you I think you are faced with an uphill climb to get the dealer to look into this further.

I have to add that even with nearly 300K miles on my 14 year old Boxster its heat shields are quiet. So too are the heat shields on my 2002 996 Turbo with over 140K miles.

My advice would be to take the car back and insist the noise is not just due to age and it is a sign something is loose and needs to be addressed. If you get any push back mention this noise only appeared *after* the converters were replaced and while you are reluctant to blame the noise on the work with the dealer so quick to brush the noise off due to the car's age -- when as I have mentioned above age and miles alone is not necessarily going to make the car's heat shields noisy -- you feel the dealer is not taking your complaint seriously.

Without making it a threat mention that you might be forced to contact the county's consumer fraud division or possibly even the Bureau of Automotive Repair to see what action you need to take.

Stress with the noise you have lost all enjoyment from the use of the car and are concerned that without knowing the source of the noise that it signals a more serious problem and one that could have the car breaking down and putting you and any passengers are risk if the break down occurs at the worst time.

Be aware that the noise could be one of the replacement converters, too. In fact when my Boxster was making buzzing noises and I suspected -- well, hoped -- it was a heat shield, the source proved to be a converter with a loose brick. Towards the end the thing would knock when cold and buzz when hot. Occasionally the CEL would come on and it was always an error code signaling an underperforming converter.

You have to be prepared to leave the car and when you go to pick it up be prepared to road test the car to ensure the noise is no longer present. If it is then you have to leave the car.

Last edited by Macster; 02-14-2016 at 07:23 PM.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:43 PM
FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !
You can also have them check your exhaust valves. They can make make some strange noises as well.