GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

McLaren F1 for sale

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 03:51 AM
Peloton25 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Stephan
Erik, Do you know anything about Lawrance Strolls McLaren F1 road car? I know that its grey and thats about it. I actually have a pretty funny story about the car breaking down.
Stroll's F1 is one of the remaining McLaren mysteries. I have seen two sets of photos of the car, both taken on the same day in July 2001 at Stroll's race track - Le Circuit Mont Tremblant. One set of photos claimed that the car belonged to Stroll specifically, the other doesn't have any text to go along with the pics. That link is still active, and you can see the car here:

http://groups.msn.com/MyPorscheClub/...nt.msnw?Page=4

This F1 looks like no other than I am familiar with in North America. As you can see from the pics, it's a unique shade of Metallic Grey. You can't tell from those shots, but the three other pictures I have of the car from that day at the track show it to have a dark grey or black interior with a red driver's seat insert. The seats have been refitted to what is known as GT-spec - mimicing the F1 GT's interior.

Unfortunately efforts to find out any real details on the car have proved futile so far. Associates of Stroll's dealership, Ferrari of Quebec, have inquired with the staff there for me and so far none of them have been able to confirm that he even owns a McLaren F1. Other enthusiasts have approached his support staff taking care of his cars at different track events at Mont Tremblant and again no one seemed to know about the F1. Honestly, someone who is this much of a public figure in the motoring world should have a harder time keeping a secret if there is an F1 hiding in their garage.

There isn't a total blackout of info on the car. There have been at least two people who confirmed that he still owns the car. One story teller claimed that the car is kept in an underground garage at his home in Canada. Neither one had the important details though like the chassis number which is most interesting to me. Adding to the credibility of the underground garage story, this photo appeared online which shows what appears to be an identical F1 in a location that could easily match that description. I'm not sure who the girl is, but the car does appear to have been sitting a while with all that dust on it.

Clickable

The interesting thing about Canada and a car like the McLaren F1 is that there is no "Show or Display" exemption for cars like that up there as we have in the USA. They do have a rule that allows for any car built more than 15 years prior to be imported, but the first production F1 was completed at the end of December 1993, so its still too early for any F1 to get into Canada through that loophole.

Another interesting suspicion that I've had about Stroll's car is that it is possibly another escapee from Brunei. This is pure speculation on my part mind you, but in mid-2000 Stroll and a business partner purchased the London jeweler and luxury goods retailer "Asprey" from the Brunei Investment Agency. For those who read through the FHM article, you'll recall that was one of Prince Jefri's failed investments. Ever since I learned of that transaction I have suspected that Stroll may have made one or two more purchases from Brunei at the same time, including this F1.

If you know something more about his car - and it sounds like you do - I would love to hear whatever you can share. This F1 is one of only two that I am aware of in North America that I can't quote the chassis number of and that's the kind of thing that will drive a guy like me nuts.

= = = = = =

Originally Posted by TechArtDreamer
Well I haven't followed this thread, but just perused through the whole thing and wow there is alot of F1 knowledge in here. Heres my contribution, looks to be the F1 that was for sale at the beginning of this video (wait through the intro).

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...936883&pl=true

-Markus-
Originally Posted by Kevin M
Great Post! Your wealth of knowledge is impressive, I hope one day you will have one of your own. - Me too!

Is this the one that just sold?

This was at Concorso Italiano about 4 years ago, I took these pics.
You are both correct - that is chassis #038, the car recently for sale/sold in Atlanta.

Kevin your interior shot gives a good representation of a GT-spec interior (as mentioned above in reference to Stroll's car) with the pleated seat inserts. Your photos have actually made it onto my HD already in 1600x1200 form - not sure where you shared them or where I found them, but thanks for putting them out there!

>8^)
ER

Last edited by Peloton25; 05-31-2006 at 04:57 AM.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:23 AM
Originally Posted by papasuperman
I just spend 4 hours reading all the stuff, there is so much information.
Thanks for providing us with all this informaitons.
Glad you enjoyed the read.

I have one question, what kind of Tire do F1 use.
I know is is made by Michilin, it is a special Pilot line just for F1.
Originally the F1 was fitted with a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 tires at the time of introduction. Later on (not sure exactly when) a set of Michelins were developed and became the updated spec tire for the F1.

can you please give me more informaiton on it.

what kind of tire, what other tires have owners use..
size and how $$$.

better picture of the tire.
Both the Michelins and Goodyears were the same size: 235/45ZR17 F & 315/45ZR17 R

The Michelins are labeled Pilot SX FZ. It is my understanding that these tires are not available through anyone but McLaren Cars - no other Michelin retailer can supply them. Some owners may still run the Goodyear F1s too - #038, for instance, wore Goodyears up until just recently and given the amount that Dan Kennedy used the car I am certain he went through at least one set of tires while he had it.

For cars like the LMs or road cars fitted with the High Downforce Pkg that have upgraded to the 18" 5-spoke wheels, there seems to be just one tire choice. Again it is a Michelin, this time a Pilot Sport SX. The sizes on those tires are considerably larger - 275/35/ZR18 F & 345/35ZR18 R.

As for prices on the tires, I have only heard that a set will cost around $4000, but that figure seems too high. Correct or not, I'd assume that is for the standard 17" Michelins. Either way, if you have to ask then you probably don't need to worry, right?

I will have to dig around for good photos of the tires. I will post those for you sometime soon.

and have you seen any F1 using aftermarket wheel, I just wanted to see what the car will look like if someone had put bigger wheels on it.
I have only seen three F1s wearing aftermarket wheels. There is one car - chassis #073 - which wears a unque wheel fitted from the factory, but that was already discussed I think.

Twice when #038 was displayed at SEMA it wore a set of custom chromed wheels. I keep the photos from those two events in a folder labeled "What were they thinking" as BLING! isn't really my thing, especially on an F1.

The car was displayed both times in the Toyo Tire booth and the wheels were wrapped in Nitto NT555 Extreme ZR tires. I can see from one shot that the fronts were 245/40ZR18 F but the rears are a mystery. Unless they made a custom tire for the car, the largest 18" NT555 Nitto claims to make is a 295/45ZR18. It should be noted that Dan said those tires and wheels were made specifically for the show and that the car has never been driven on them - "Thank goodness" I say. As much as I hate looking at it, here are some pics taken by Drew Phillips:

<2bcont>

Last edited by Peloton25; 05-31-2006 at 05:00 AM.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:30 AM
Another car seen wearing different sets of wheels is chassis #040 - the unique blue car with the high mirrors. This particular owner has made it his goal to actually improve on the handling of the F1 road car by changing the suspension components and connection points on his own and at his own cost with the help of Manthey Racing in Germany. The car was seen earlier in this thread wearing a gold BBS wheel which were used for testing purposes, but the owner has recently gotten a new set of custom wheels made for it that are larger, but still look quite similar to the original factory 17" wheel. He was pretty smart about it because he decided to go with a tire and size that he knew would continue to be produced due to it's continuing demand on the Ferrari Enzo. The tires are Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Scuderia and sizes are 245/35ZR19 F & 345/35ZR19 R. Here are some images of that car wearing it's new wheels which are painted matte black. He had the standard wheels painted black when he purchased this car and had it resprayed the unique blue color:

The final F1 on the list is a silver car with a red stripe that has been spotted in Japan many times, yet still remains unidentified as far as the chassis number or owner is concerned. I'm not sure who made the wheels that are fitted to the car - some have suggested they are NEEZ brand, and the do look quite similar to some they make. I would suspect that these are 19" and are also wearing the Enzo-spec Bridgestone tires.

>8^)
ER

Old 05-31-2006, 12:44 PM
Modaholic
Kevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Peloton25

You are both correct - that is chassis #038, the car recently for sale/sold in Atlanta.

Kevin your interior shot gives a good representation of a GT-spec interior (as mentioned above in reference to Stroll's car) with the pleated seat inserts. Your photos have actually made it onto my HD already in 1600x1200 form - not sure where you shared them or where I found them, but thanks for putting them out there!
>8^)
ER
Excellent I thought that was the same one, glad to hear you used the photos.

Old 05-31-2006, 12:53 PM
Kaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Peloton25
Another car seen wearing different sets of wheels is chassis #040 - the unique blue car with the high mirrors. This particular owner has made it his goal to actually improve on the handling of the F1 road car by changing the suspension components and connection points on his own and at his own cost with the help of Manthey Racing in Germany. The car was seen earlier in this thread wearing a gold BBS wheel which were used for testing purposes, but the owner has recently gotten a new set of custom wheels made for it that are larger, but still look quite similar to the original factory 17" wheel. He was pretty smart about it because he decided to go with a tire and size that he knew would continue to be produced due to it's continuing demand on the Ferrari Enzo. The tires are Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Scuderia and sizes are 245/35ZR19 F & 345/35ZR19 R. Here are some images of that car wearing it's new wheels which are painted matte black. He had the standard wheels painted black when he purchased this car and had it resprayed the unique blue color:

Yeah, I've seen the car at Manthey Racing myself with the gold 19" BBS wheels and Enzo-spec tires...

By the way, you (or someone else who is very interested) might want to check out this thread:
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...26933&f=23&h=0
There's the owner of the blue one giving a lot of useful information and even a second (ex) F1 owner (has owned an Enzo too ) is on the board too!

I doubt no one would mind if you are able to point out some interesting stuff from the pistonheads topic to here!

EDIT: By the way, do you happen to know what Peloton means in Finnish ?

Old 05-31-2006, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by Kaizu
Yeah, I've seen the car at Manthey Racing myself with the gold 19" BBS wheels and Enzo-spec tires...
I'm one of the few who really liked the look of the car with those gold BBS's. Congrats on getting to see it first hand.

By the way, you (or someone else who is very interested) might want to check out this thread:
There's the owner of the blue one giving a lot of useful information and even a second (ex) F1 owner (has owned an Enzo too ) is on the board too! .

I doubt no one would mind if you are able to point out some interesting stuff from the pistonheads topic to here!
I'm quite familiar with flemke's posts on PH.com - they are wonderful to read. He is a true gentleman for sharing that info and his posts are very well written, so I wouldn't want to paraphrase anything he said. Those who are interested should just pop some popcorn and sit down for a nice long read. There are a few inaccuracies in the notes there, but I haven't felt the need to get in the middle of it and correct anyone.

EDIT: By the way, do you happen to know what Peloton means in Finnish ?
I didn't, but after a quick web search I returned these results:

intrepid, undeterred, undaunted, dauntless, fearless, stout

Nice to know if that is accurate. When I am not chasing McLarens, I'm actually a cyclist, so that's what the name relates to for me.

>8^)
ER

Old 05-31-2006, 04:32 PM
RufMD is just really niceRufMD is just really niceRufMD is just really niceRufMD is just really nice
Don't quote me on this, but i believe that the F1 that started this thread now belongs to Peter Sachs...

Old 05-31-2006, 04:35 PM
ZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud of
There's the owner of the blue one giving a lot of useful information and even a second (ex) F1 owner (has owned an Enzo too ) is on the board too!
I got busy reading the thread, and mid-way down page 3 flemke mentions:

"Daily driver 993 TT-S"

Old 05-31-2006, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by RufMD
Don't quote me on this, but...
That name doesn't surprise me. Thanks for the info - we will see how it plays out.

ZAMIRZ - flemke owns several Porsche actually, including a CGT.

>8^)
ER

Old 05-31-2006, 05:31 PM
Kaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud of
Peloton25,
I loved the look too with the BBS Racing wheels! Have some pics in my laptop...no idea where it is at the moment but I can post them later...

I agree with you, flemke is a true gentleman. That topic is a great contribution from him so I too recommend reading it...CGT doesn't seem to be anything extraordinary but doesn't he have a 959 too..
(Don't like to gossip but is his CGT the same black one which is at Manthey and at the 'Ring all the time?)

Old 05-31-2006, 05:39 PM
Certainly a possibility as I believe a few of his cars may be kept there, but I can't confirm it.

>8^)
ER

Old 06-01-2006, 03:40 PM
teflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant future
...(Don't like to gossip but is his CGT the same black one which is at Manthey and at the 'Ring all the time?)
This is from this thread, Manthey Racing Factory visit ( pics inside):

Originally Posted by Guy
...Several of the other cars pictured including the CGT are also owned by him, as he keeps quite a few cars at Manthey, who look after them for him.
Greg A

Old 06-02-2006, 12:14 AM
tthoang1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by magwheel
RufMD, Let's see..... if I sell my house, my F430, my Ford GT, my Gallardo, my Maranello ....
If this is what you call suffering, bring on the pain. I'm in the market if you decide to part with your F430!

Old 06-02-2006, 01:48 PM
Some images of two of the GTRs which are here in the USA appeared on the web today. I figured you guys would like to see them.

These cars are located at Highcroft Racing in Connecticut. The '96 Gulf GTR should either #12R or #15R. The '97 FINA longtail is most likely #26R, but could be #21R too.

(Credit to Lehman)

http://www.highcroftracing.com/company.htm

>8^)
ER

Old 06-02-2006, 04:36 PM
01zincguy is on a distinguished road
Damn, I need to visit that place. From just those small, chopped pics I see most of my all time fav. race cars :drool:

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: McLaren F1 for sale