Lamborghini Discussion on the Lamborghini Countach, Diablo, Murciélago, Gallardo, Reventón, Aventador, and new Huracán.

2005 Lambo Gallardo Clutch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 08:52 AM
joelsbuch is on a distinguished road
2005 Lambo Gallardo Clutch

My 2005 e-gear Gallardo (which I bought new) has 5800 non abused miles on it. I brought it into the dealer for service. My brakes have over 80% left on them. The rear tires need to be replaced and the fronts have 1/8 inch before the wear mark. I tracked the car twice for a total of 2hrs at Lime Rock in Conn. Otherwise, I drive the car a gentle 1K a year. I have no plans to track the car again (got a '07 997 GT3 for that! ).
The dealer hooked the car up to the computer and I have 4.6mm left on the clutch. He told me Lambo recommends clutch replacement when the reading is below 5.2mm. The cost would be 12-15K!
I just got a new clutch on my '99 360 Modena that has 18K mostly abused track miles on it (set up with slicks, etc.).
My questions are :
1- Clutch needs to be replaced with 5800 miles....are they for real?
2- If I waited for the clutch to slip prior to replacement....what's the problem with that? They already recommend a new clutch and flywheel.
3- Is this price too high? (NYC dealership)
4- How long do you think the clutch will last with 4.6mm on it? What did it start with?

Old 03-28-2010, 03:48 PM
emissary will become famous soon enough
In all the research I did before I purchased my Gallardo three years ago, a clutch replacement was estimated to be $4-5k. $12-15k is highway robbery. 5800 miles seems low for an 05 to require a clutch replacement, but I believe most of the clutch wear is done in Reverse gear. Do you do a lot of slow reversing, perhaps up an incline?

Old 03-28-2010, 05:29 PM
MrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by joelsbuch
1- Clutch needs to be replaced with 5800 miles....are they for real?
2- If I waited for the clutch to slip prior to replacement....what's the problem with that? They already recommend a new clutch and flywheel.
3- Is this price too high? (NYC dealership)
4- How long do you think the clutch will last with 4.6mm on it? What did it start with?
1 - The cars can definitely require clutch replacement at that kind of mileage but it could mean that the car has not been driven properly. I am not accusing you of being a bad or aggressive driver, just not taking steps to minimize clutch wear. You should always use consistent throttle when the clutch is disengaging, put the car in neutral when stopped, and avoid a lot of ultra low speed driving or reversing.

2 - No risk there and that would be my advice. Drive it until it stops moving. Obviously this will likely require getting it towed to the dealer but just get AAA coverage to pay for it.

3 - That price is astronomical. The price of the parts is $2,500-3,500 and you should expect $2-3k in labor. Add another $3k or so for a throwout bearing if required. Feel free to contact me if you want some advice for a better dealer to do the work.

4 - The clutches have approximately 6-7 mm of total wear depending on how they are installed. They will still hold torque with 5-20% of that remaining depending on the state of other parts. I am not sure what the initial measurement is but the end measurement is definitely not zero.

I would recommend driving the car until it won't move anymore as long as the idea of being stranded isn't too scary where you drive. If your clutch is low, there will be signs as you drive. The car will shudder when moving from a stop, particularly under steering lock. It will longer for the car to shift, and the shifts will not be as precise. You may also hear a whistling noise from behind you.

Good luck with everything. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:49 PM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
if it was my car and it did not have a warranty I would use a private garage for repairs.. I would not use the stealership

Old 03-28-2010, 07:57 PM
joelsbuch is on a distinguished road
i looked up the parts $3500....CLUTCH, FLYWHEEL, TO BEARING ETC
I think I need to find a local guy. Anyone know a good Lambo mechanic in suburban new york. (north of the city?)

Old 03-28-2010, 08:04 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
You need a lambo computer to reset the transmission wearing setting after clutch job.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:50 AM
SuperleggeraGT3 Is a GOD !SuperleggeraGT3 Is a GOD !SuperleggeraGT3 Is a GOD !SuperleggeraGT3 Is a GOD !SuperleggeraGT3 Is a GOD !SuperleggeraGT3 Is a GOD !SuperleggeraGT3 Is a GOD !SuperleggeraGT3 Is a GOD !SuperleggeraGT3 Is a GOD !SuperleggeraGT3 Is a GOD !SuperleggeraGT3 Is a GOD !
I think I need to find a local guy. Anyone know a good Lambo mechanic in suburban new york. (north of the city?)
Joel,

Please check your PM. Please let me know if you still have any questions. Good luck with sorting out your problem!

Old 03-30-2010, 03:36 AM
franki68 is on a distinguished road
is this clutch issue only with the egear or does it affect the manual as well ?

Old 03-30-2010, 09:39 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
hmmm something doesn't seem right. Unless I've been constantly misinformed I was always told that the clutch has a tolerance of 7.5mm (or maybe 7.2mm, can't remember exactly), before it needs to be replaced. When you put in a new clutch, you basically start at 0 and as the clutch wears over time, the number increases, indicating more wear. When the reading gets closer to that 7.5mm or 7.2mm number, then you have to consider replacing. I'd say at 4.6mm you're just fine. I'd get a second opinion before you do anything.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:01 AM
colorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond repute
lamborghini chicago quoted me $5800 for the job yesterday

Old 03-30-2010, 10:08 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
I know a couple guys at Lambo Chitown. Good people and nice place.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:48 PM
nevert00fast will become famous soon enoughnevert00fast will become famous soon enough
Just wondering, did you get that ridiculous quote from manhattan motorcars?

Old 04-05-2010, 02:23 PM
Idrvslo is on a distinguished road
When would you have to replace the throwout bearing? Is there anything in particular that damages it? I actually recieved a 12k quote from a private garage. I would love to know were I can get it done for under 6k.

Last edited by Idrvslo; 04-05-2010 at 02:31 PM.