Lamborghini Discussion on the Lamborghini Countach, Diablo, Murciélago, Gallardo, Reventón, Aventador, and new Huracán.

2004 Gallardo- any issues to look out for?

Old 05-02-2010, 08:46 PM
cooperlee will become famous soon enough
2004 Gallardo- any issues to look out for?

Im looking to pick up a 04 Gallardo with low mileage from another state. Seller claims clean title, new clutch, flawless etc etc.

Any issues I should know about the 04/05 Gallardos? It is a paddle shift. Thanks fellas.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:37 PM
gemlender will become famous soon enoughgemlender will become famous soon enough
Is it a private seller or a dealer?
Be careful of vin numbers under 400 (last digits of vin). Have a PPI done by Lambo dealer. Dealer can check if there is any clutch wear on a computer.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:23 AM
RedGTS will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by gemlender
Is it a private seller or a dealer?
Be careful of vin numbers under 400 (last digits of vin). Have a PPI done by Lambo dealer. Dealer can check if there is any clutch wear on a computer.
You mean VIN numbers under 0400. Obviously the cars over no. 1,000 are later, e.g., 1125 or whatever.

Newer clutch and upgraded E-gear software on '04's is a must, but virtually all of them have it at this point.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:35 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
The main thing I dislike about the '04's is the absence of the front end lift system. That just comes in SO handy with the Gallardo.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:27 PM
jcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to behold
if you're willing to spend the $30-40k premium for an 06 vs 04, go for it...me, i had better things to do with the dough.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:04 AM
gemlender will become famous soon enoughgemlender will become famous soon enough
The 04 does not have the front lift system... I have never needed it. Most of those who have it rarely use it (if ever). The nose of the Gallardo is short and I have not had any problems getting over bumps (as long as you hit it an an angle) The 06-up have more HP. But if your not tracking it or racing every vette and mustang at the red lights, then who cares.
But as jcpca356 said if you're willing to spend more for an 06 vs 04, go for it"
I did not care if I had a front lift system or the extra HP. The 04 car looks and drives FANTASTIC!
Get the 05 if you can (but not for the lift system....just becuase its a newer year when you resale it). If you find an 04 thats in your budget and it makes you happy, then grab it. Either way you will love the car. The main thing is have a dealer check it out first so that you know of any issues. They are actually pretty reliable cars.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by RedGTS
You mean VIN numbers under 0400. Obviously the cars over no. 1,000 are later, e.g., 1125 or whatever.

Newer clutch and upgraded E-gear software on '04's is a must, but virtually all of them have it at this point.

Yes...thanks for clearing that up for me.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
The 04 does not have the front lift system... I have never needed it. Most of those who have it rarely use it (if ever).
Down here in Florida, and places like California, where we deal with a lot of rain runoff, it's really common to have steep entrances into driveways and parking lots, so the front end lift does come in handy.

I agree though, if you don't have that issue...then the front end lift is not a big deal. I didn't mean to imply that there's anything wrong with '04's....they're still amazing cars.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:28 PM
jcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to behold
i'm in the flat midwest so bumps are never an issue...not enough curves though

Old 06-16-2010, 03:09 PM
gnx7 has a spectacular aura aboutgnx7 has a spectacular aura aboutgnx7 has a spectacular aura about
any other reliability/wear issues to look out for? '04/'05 Lambos are actually rather affordable now......

Old 06-16-2010, 06:12 PM
The main thing is clutch wear. Stick with a 6 speed if u can. If not have the Egear clutch checked by a dealer. They are pretty reliable cars. My 04 has almost 28k miles and no issues yet.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:01 PM
solekeeper is on a distinguished road
The main thing is clutch wear. Stick with a 6 speed if u can. If not have the Egear clutch checked by a dealer. They are pretty reliable cars. My 04 has almost 28k miles and no issues yet.

Silly question, but the e-gear clutch wear is checked by a computer.. How is the 6mt clutch checked? Computer as well?

Old 06-16-2010, 11:15 PM
Former Vendor
AutoTalent is just really niceAutoTalent is just really niceAutoTalent is just really niceAutoTalent is just really niceAutoTalent is just really nice
Keep an eye out for the E-Gear actuator (pops out of gear while driving), self dimming mirrors drip the liquid onto the a/c controls (mirror is inexpensive but the a/c unit is around $1200), broken door handles (driver side key cover) which have been glued in, burnt out front diffs because of improper size wheels and tires, spark plugs that have never been changed, crooked wing or a wing that doesn't pop up...pretty much all that comes to mind right away

Seat position is different on some of the 04s as only the backs move plus the cushion material is different (little more plush on the new ones)

Old 06-17-2010, 05:09 AM
MrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud of
I have had an 04 for year now and am close to 40k miles. The cars are great. I have never really missed the front end lift and while the system is very good, I have always been glad not to have to worry about any malfunctions with it.

The E-gear pumps can occasionally go out but I have had no issues with mine. Because of an earlier design and occasionally old (if non-updated) TCU software, they are prone to excessive clutch wear. It is important to drive them correctly.

The rear main seals are prone to leaking. The AC compressors are somewhat weak. The rear view mirrors can eventually leak and ruin the switch panel beneath them so I replaced mine before it became an issue.

If anyone used aftermarket wheels on the car it can mess up the differentials in the car and cause clutch wear.

Lots of great things here and on the other car forums.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:34 AM
tofi is on a distinguished road
For what its worth you can scrape the front end over some driveways that you would not think were nearly steep enough. Learned that the hard way. Although, ironically enough, once you end up scraping the front end over a driveway then you can forget about the lift system because well its already scratched so who cares anymore (until you repaint it I guess - I'm not going to bother noone looks under the nose anyway).

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2004 Gallardo- any issues to look out for?