Lamborghini Discussion on the Lamborghini Countach, Diablo, Murciélago, Gallardo, Reventón, Aventador, and new Huracán.

Different tires = blown transmission?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 07:31 PM
Apache1127 is on a distinguished road
Different tires = blown transmission?

'05 Gallardo Manual

I grabbed some 295/30R-19 Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08 XL rear tires.

When I went to Discount Tire to have them mounted and installed the guy told me that since I was only replacing the back 2 tires and since they were different than my stock front tires they would eventually blow my transmission?

The tires are exactly the same size and spec as the stock tires besides the speed rating. Does what he said have any validity to it?

Thanks in advance guys

Old 08-21-2010, 07:47 PM
MamoVaka is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Apache1127
'05 Gallardo Manual

I grabbed some 295/30R-19 Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08 XL rear tires.

When I went to Discount Tire to have them mounted and installed the guy told me that since I was only replacing the back 2 tires and since they were different than my stock front tires they would eventually blow my transmission?

The tires are exactly the same size and spec as the stock tires besides the speed rating. Does what he said have any validity to it?

Thanks in advance guys

Is this a serious quesion?

Old 08-21-2010, 08:16 PM
Do you really spend time trolling car forums to **** on people's questions? Nothing better to do at all?

I'm not familiar enough with how they build tires to know whether fronts need to match rear tires on exotics.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:28 PM
Sharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud of
no, total BS. the only concern would be with the differential if the tire size was different then the stock rubber.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:53 PM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
there is SOME partial truth in that.
here's why
technically, youre ok
the OEM tires are 235 35 19 in the front and 295 30 19 in the back
HOWEVER

when putting different tires front and rear, you have to understand that the true size of the different brands of tires may be different.
for example, MICHELIN tires typically run a bit larger than others. Yokohamas typically run narrower.

when i had a blow out on my 315 25 19 tires, i replaced the blown out michelin with a yokohama... and the tire was completely stretched.

i would not mix and match manufactors' tires

Old 08-22-2010, 04:20 PM
jacx920 can only hope to improve
Yea, that guy is a retard.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:43 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
It won't ruin your transmission.

You shouldn't mix brands/models of tires F & R.

Don't go to america tires or discount tires. They are going to rip you off by making you buy another set or ruin your rims. You bought a Gallardo, take it to a reputable tire shop. (NOTE: there are some america tires out there. but most are bad since they charge very little for install)

Old 08-24-2010, 10:31 AM
FRC Z51 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by djantlive
Don't go to america tires or discount tires. They are going to rip you off by making you buy another set or ruin your rims. You bought a Gallardo, take it to a reputable tire shop. (NOTE: there are some america tires out there. but most are bad since they charge very little for install)
Acutally Disctount Tire is pretty well known for doing a solid job. Plenty of exotics/racers use them here in the Chicagoland area. They may make suggestions based on their knowledge, but that doesn't mean you have to purchase anything additional. Also, your wheels should always leave in the condition they arrived in. Have the condition verified prior to mount/dismount. I have never had a set damaged but I do know they will replace the wheel if ANYTHING happens.

Just because a place charges the less (read:fair price vs. overpriced), doesn't mean they do a bad job? You're quite skewed in your thoughts buddy, please don't pass that on as "fact" via the internet.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:48 AM
kennyjr748 is on a distinguished road
If you're really concerned, you can look at the tire rack chart and find out how many revs per mile your new tires have and compare them to the revs per mile of your old tires

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

Old 08-24-2010, 10:58 AM
iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !
As others have said there is some truth to what he told you, and I'm sure they always cover their butt by recommending you replace all four. I personally have never seen a diff or trans blow because someone replaced 2 with the exact same size, but that doesn't mean they aren't all taught to recommend replacement of all four. I would think they'd certainly take every precaution with your Lambo so you could think of it as them doing a thorough job.

I'd say as long as you were replacing with the exact same size you should be just fine. If you're going to lose sleep over it replace the set.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:04 PM
NitrousOxide is on a distinguished road
This is my first comment on such forum, but what a day!! Most of you guys are raining the guy who recommended the tire change,, thats not good

Regarding the question, yes, it does effect parts of the drivetrain, especially the differentials!

The reason he said so is that when you drive on different tires, the center differential (or F/R differential in case tires were changed side to side) does not know that you are doing so, hence, the newer tires will report better traction as opposed to the old one which would read differently due to either: different tire thread, or different tire life... The result is that the differential here will try to vary the torque split between the tires assuming that there are surface imperfections or different conditions under each tire; consequently, the differential will CONTINIOUSLY distribute torque accordingly as it continiously reads different tire reports.

How does that affect the drivetrain? Well, in normal situations, the differential is set to distribute fixed torque and therefore, takes rest untill you take a corner or face road differences then the differentials start doing their magic.. However, when you run on different tires (which are reading differenly as I said), the differentials are constantly working. Such thing would shorten the lifetime of the differential, in the long term.

Hope that helps and let me know if you are going to rain me with your comments too!

Last edited by NitrousOxide; 08-27-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:25 PM
ALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant future
Wait you own a lambo and wont by 4 tires of the same brand? Stop lying about owning a lambo.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:29 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by FRC Z51
Acutally Disctount Tire is pretty well known for doing a solid job. Plenty of exotics/racers use them here in the Chicagoland area. They may make suggestions based on their knowledge, but that doesn't mean you have to purchase anything additional. Also, your wheels should always leave in the condition they arrived in. Have the condition verified prior to mount/dismount. I have never had a set damaged but I do know they will replace the wheel if ANYTHING happens.

Just because a place charges the less (read:fair price vs. overpriced), doesn't mean they do a bad job? You're quite skewed in your thoughts buddy, please don't pass that on as "fact" via the internet.
I am sure some chain tire shops are good but I just don't have any good luck. They charge $12 to mount, balance a tire. Do the math. If they are going to make money, they will upsell you.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:40 AM
Originally Posted by ALPINE6SPD
Wait you own a lambo and wont by 4 tires of the same brand? Stop lying about owning a lambo.
It's "buy" not "by".

Old 09-01-2010, 12:35 PM
Michael-Dallas is on a distinguished road
Let's say you have the same brand/model tire in the front and rear. The fronts are down to the wear bar and the rears are brand spanking new.

1. Since the fronts are down to the wear bar, they are actually smaller in diameter than if they were new
2. Since the fronts are down to the wear bar (and has more heat cycles) and the rears are brand new, there are different levels in grip between the front and rear.

Will the above situation tear up your AWD diff? I think not.

Just think of ALL of those AWD SUV, truck, and sedan owners out there that are running mismatched tires on 2 or more corners. I'd be willing to be that Lamborghini/Audi/VW does not engineer/manufacture the AWD diff, but a company that specializes in engineering/manufacturing manufactures the diff. This company probably engineers/manufactures AWD diffs for other car manufacturers as well.

/m

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Different tires = blown transmission?