Lamborghini Discussion on the Lamborghini Countach, Diablo, Murciélago, Gallardo, Reventón, Aventador, and new Huracán.

Gallardo Motor Blows - Battle of Supercars

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 09:17 PM
dipapa is on a distinguished road
Gallardo Motor Blows - Battle of Supercars

16:15 into video

http://www.streetfire.net/video/tech...4-9d3f00df535e

Sometimes motors blow unfortunately. There is however, always a good reason why the motor blows.

This car is made for fairly serious racing with quality parts, tolerances and probably a decent oiling system.

Was this Gallardo tuned, modified or had anything been added to cause the motor too blow?

What makes this motor failure interesting is that this TV show is fairly controlled... without long hard racing. The show contains short test sprints very routinely performed by average owners in closed or public areas to be very realistic about this all.

Some claim the Gallardo was abused, however shows dont usually take the car that long... they are on tight shcedule and are in and out quickly. I think.

Further more...Any shop that lends a TV show a $300K car without sending a shop guy to watch what going down with the ride has got to be watched themselves.

Just tring to get some facts or comments on this nationaly broadcasted high performance car failure.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:54 PM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
wow, thanks for the vid......you are absolutely right, on lending cars out without supervision.......

AND to think I want a gallardo........ghezzzzzzz

Last edited by rvhpno80; 09-14-2010 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:20 PM
av2
av2 is infamous around these parts
An agressive driver trying to catch up to a much faster Ford GT plus a handful of blips into redline shifts spells trouble. If you have watched the GT3 versus the F430 episode, Paul Tracy was burning out right after a top speed run in that Ferrari like he stole it.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:04 PM
dipapa is on a distinguished road
Obviously. What are Gallardo owners supposed to think about that response?

That car should be able to take a normal aggresive shift redline scenerio you are suggesting. redline...blip, redline...blip, etc... its not like on a manual missed shift.. straight through redline... The E-gear is more controlled and there is some motor margin above redline.

Oil starvation or possible detonation if a custom tune was performed???

Old 09-30-2010, 08:00 AM
Rev_2_8k is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by dipapa
Obviously. What are Gallardo owners supposed to think about that response?

That car should be able to take a normal aggresive shift redline scenerio you are suggesting. redline...blip, redline...blip, etc... its not like on a manual missed shift.. straight through redline... The E-gear is more controlled and there is some motor margin above redline.

Oil starvation or possible detonation if a custom tune was performed???

I agree, after seeing the episode on PVR the other day.... I think this could quite possibly be what happened.

On another note, that Ford GT definitely had more than 600rwhp to pull on the G like that. Tanner was stating the boost was peaking in 3rd gear roll ons.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:23 AM
BAD ASS TA WS6 is a glorious beacon of lightBAD ASS TA WS6 is a glorious beacon of lightBAD ASS TA WS6 is a glorious beacon of lightBAD ASS TA WS6 is a glorious beacon of lightBAD ASS TA WS6 is a glorious beacon of light
Was wondering what happened with the car, never heard of Technocraft prior to the show.

Does it represent Gallardos, and their reliability as a whole? Absolutely not. Was the car beat? Absolutely.

Hard to say if it was the straight exhaust, etc. But on the straight sprints, that car was smoking like a freight train from the get-go. Not sure who built/tuned/modified the car, so who knows.

Too much speculation, far to little info/facts and experience for ANYONE to tell.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:07 PM
rominl is on a distinguished road
definitely not a good start, but i agree, too many things going on, very hard to say for sure...

Old 10-02-2010, 11:38 AM
racin is on a distinguished road
car had to be in poor condition before paul got his hands on it. i personally have brought 3 cars for battle of the supercars filmings and while the cars are driven very hard, they are not driven for very long, if a lamborghini cant handle three hard runs they woulda been outa business a long time ago. car was abused before the show

Old 10-02-2010, 04:36 PM
ice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not a racing expert but I wouldn't have expected a Gallardo to be able to hang with an American brute like the Ford GT.
Lambo's aren't the best for racing performance and especially the Gallardo. Even tuned I would doubt it could whip a stock GT....not even come close to a tuned GT.
Not surprised the engine blew.

On another note, didn't seem like Tracy knew how to maximize the power of the Gallardo. He was blaming the car for shifting itself....cmon Tracy.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:20 PM
DarrinB is a name known to allDarrinB is a name known to allDarrinB is a name known to allDarrinB is a name known to allDarrinB is a name known to allDarrinB is a name known to all
something seemed to be wrong with the gallardo from the beginning of the tests.
it doesn't seem to be running at full potential

Old 10-02-2010, 08:43 PM
MSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond repute
there is now way in the world you should be able to blow a na engine on any high performance sports car from a few aggresive runs!! just think about the abuse of one track day!! when i track my m it runs from 7400-8200rpm's for 30mins straight in each session and im sure many lambo owners do the same!! i dont know of that company either but one would hope to attempt a tune on a car like that they would be a very experienced outfit, i mean that motor is probably north of 30k!! On a na motor though unless there was HUGE mistake made on the tune it shouldnt blow the engine like that, i would lean more towards some sort of oil starvation, as to why who knows...

Old 10-03-2010, 01:17 PM
ice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DarrinB
something seemed to be wrong with the gallardo from the beginning of the tests.
it doesn't seem to be running at full potential
Does that mean you don't beliece Tracy when he said the car was running fine until it blew?

Old 10-03-2010, 03:07 PM
GoingGreen is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ice350
I'm not a racing expert but I wouldn't have expected a Gallardo to be able to hang with an American brute like the Ford GT.
Lambo's aren't the best for racing performance and especially the Gallardo. Even tuned I would doubt it could whip a stock GT....not even come close to a tuned GT.
Not surprised the engine blew.

On another note, didn't seem like Tracy knew how to maximize the power of the Gallardo. He was blaming the car for shifting itself....cmon Tracy.
Have you seen the american lemans series..? 8( however team corvette did much better then the fords, but only won its first 3rd place in the ALS because one of the ferrari teams didnt put enough fuel in for the last lap . I would choose a ZR1, 430, or lardo, over GT anyday, everyday. Is the motor more reliable, probably but really just a less of car not only by my standards but proven on the track too.

Anyways someone also critized doing a top speed run then burning out. lol I dont see why someone would think thats not okay for a car engineered OEM and aftermarket to be drivin hard. That was clearly just bad luck from mechanical or some type of unfortunate human error. I would think most of the cars on this forum from any of the companies with thick racing history are all intended to be drivin hard. Thats just my opinion and I guess thats what the forums for right, for us blokes to argue.. Its all in good company.