Lamborghini Discussion on the Lamborghini Countach, Diablo, Murciélago, Gallardo, Reventón, Aventador, and new Huracán.

Orange Gallardo Accident at Texas Mile

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 03:49 PM
Cammie1968 is on a distinguished road
Orange Gallardo Accident at Texas Mile

Hi all,
Just got back from the Texas Mile, and saw what I thought was the UGR orange Gallardo throw its shute and go airborne. Just a little FYI, The driver is ok and walked away but the car was covered and loaded on a flat bed and towed away. I believe it was Richard Holt's car not Kyle's. There was another Orange Gallardo Superlaggera at their pit. Just wanted to share the info.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:44 PM
BGolden will become famous soon enough
I can't believe he walked away from that. Talked to one of the officers that was onsite and he stated there wasn't much left of the car. I believe he went 238 on that pass. It was very scary and sad for quite some time.

It looked like he caught a gust of wind in the chute which pulled the rear end to the drivers side at 200+ mph. The nose got airborne and then 4 or 5 flips from what I could tell.

So happy to see the him walk away. That's more important than any car.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:58 PM
Cammie1968 is on a distinguished road
Yep, I saw the officer come over and talk to Richard's wife who was with some of the UGR guys and S.W.. Thank god he is ok. He looked to be in good spirits when he came through the pits.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:09 AM
LBJ23 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by BGolden
I can't believe he walked away from that. Talked to one of the officers that was onsite and he stated there wasn't much left of the car. I believe he went 238 on that pass. It was very scary and sad for quite some time.

It looked like he caught a gust of wind in the chute which pulled the rear end to the drivers side at 200+ mph. The nose got airborne and then 4 or 5 flips from what I could tell.

Agreed. It's amazing that anyone walked away at that speed but that's all that matters

Old 10-24-2010, 07:26 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !

+2. I wonder if he'll try it again...

(From the safety of my recliner) I don't think I would be able to drive that fast again, if that ever happened to me.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:32 AM
tommygun is on a distinguished road

Old 10-24-2010, 10:01 AM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !

actually, the shoot got tangled in the wheel which jerked the car to the side and caused to go air born.

good thing the car had a cage and the driver walked away.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:28 AM
tommygun is on a distinguished road
http://jalopnik.com/5671969/

I do not understand how it got caught in the wheel. The chute was probably deployed and with the cross wind drug the strings to one side of the car and the momentum pulled it under the wheel and wound it up. But its highly unlikely imo.

This will change the Mile Races for sure. Safety will finally be addressed in the faster cars. Im glad he was able to walk away from that horrific crash.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:41 AM
BAD ASS TA WS6 is a glorious beacon of lightBAD ASS TA WS6 is a glorious beacon of lightBAD ASS TA WS6 is a glorious beacon of lightBAD ASS TA WS6 is a glorious beacon of lightBAD ASS TA WS6 is a glorious beacon of light
I don't understand that view either. I watched the chute deploy fully, but the rear of the car started sliding to the left which shot it spinning into the dirt. The car then rolled several times, before flipping end over end with debris shot (what looked like 20+ feet) in the air.

Winds were very sporadic, coming from the right side of the strip as a head/crosswind.

Very scary to watch as I saw it in start in slow motion. Luckily he walked away, but it was very drastic to see it all happen, and then of course wait...

Old 10-24-2010, 11:49 AM
racin is on a distinguished road
aero is SO imortant at those speeds, cars absolutely need the whole package, not just gobs of horsepower. its very fortunate the driver walked away, that is some scary stuff. i hope it puts things in perspective for all the guys out there, keep it safe boys.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:33 PM
Banned
GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by racin
aero is SO imortant at those speeds, cars absolutely need the whole package, not just gobs of horsepower. its very fortunate the driver walked away, that is some scary stuff. i hope it puts things in perspective for all the guys out there, keep it safe boys.
Very good point on the aero component. These are serious speeds.
Truck loads of monster HP is awesome but aero/downforce are key. Though will compromise top speeds some.

Ranger

btw racin your avatar, is that the white .2 GT3 I saw on Ebay or did you buy that GT3? Sweet set up btw.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:47 PM
racin is on a distinguished road
Would if I could, no it was just in the shop. My favorite porsches and that one is just too beautiful. Exactly how id want one... Minus the red roll cage. The sound of that engine at 8000 rpm through a tunnel is.... Damn, all I can say

Old 10-24-2010, 11:43 PM
DoctorWill is on a distinguished road
Does the insurance cover for this kind of high speed crash?

Old 10-25-2010, 12:33 AM
Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !
It was on a closed race track, it probably will not cover it
I assume some of the reason it was covered under the tarp was to make it less identifiable to insurance companies though

Old 10-25-2010, 06:14 AM
Banned
GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by racin
Would if I could, no it was just in the shop. My favorite porsches and that one is just too beautiful. Exactly how id want one... Minus the red roll cage. The sound of that engine at 8000 rpm through a tunnel is.... Damn, all I can say
racin so you know this white GT3? It has a lot of miles on it but more importantly how much has it been beat on the track? I mean with all that awesome set up it must have been tracked.
I'm interested in it if it's still around.
PM me your thoughts/comments.
Thanks

Ranger

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Orange Gallardo Accident at Texas Mile