Lamborghini Discussion on the Lamborghini Countach, Diablo, Murciélago, Gallardo, Reventón, Aventador, and new Huracán.

Anybody done vertical/scissor/wing doors on Gallardo?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 12:46 PM
regis is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Anybody done vertical/scissor/wing doors on Gallardo?

Thinking of converting the doors to match the murcielago. Have seen a few kits on line as well as several pictures. Particularly fond of a kit that will keep the normal door open/close path, then adds the option to go vertical.

Wondering if any of you have actual experience with any of these kits or other custom door mods on a Superleggera? Looking for good and bad, pros and cons. Please be as specific as possible, and feel free to PM me if you want to share more.

Please don't use this thread for opinions as to weather one should do this or not, cause this would just waste a bunch of forum space debating the merits. If we keep this strictly informational, then it can help me, and future members who might consider it.

Thanks . . .

If you're just curious see the following links:
google search, images, Kits

Old 12-03-2011, 04:16 PM
ksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to all
Had them on my 05 G coupe. Was cool to start with but soon wore off. To get them to fit correctly the front wings had to be shaved on the trailing edge to stop rubbing, and then repainted. Doors had to open out first before they could be lifted. I felt there was too much leverage you could apply when up as I could see flexing behind the front wings.

I did find it embarrassing in the end having a G with these as everybody knew it wasn't stock. Eventually I just used to push the doors open which they would go to around 45 degrees and again they would flex if too much pressure put on them and just get out normally.

Also as the doors were not original designed for this, you could see the bottom of the doors which are not really a pretty sight.

Anyway I know you did not want a discussion on why you may want to do this but thought I would just give you my experience as I would not think many if any others have done this on a Gallardo.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by ksbenz
Had them on my 05 G coupe. Was cool to start with but soon wore off. To get them to fit correctly the front wings had to be shaved on the trailing edge to stop rubbing, and then repainted. Doors had to open out first before they could be lifted. I felt there was too much leverage you could apply when up as I could see flexing behind the front wings.

I did find it embarrassing in the end having a G with these as everybody knew it wasn't stock. Eventually I just used to push the doors open which they would go to around 45 degrees and again they would flex if too much pressure put on them and just get out normally.

Also as the doors were not original designed for this, you could see the bottom of the doors which are not really a pretty sight.

Anyway I know you did not want a discussion on why you may want to do this but thought I would just give you my experience as I would not think many if any others have done this on a Gallardo.
@ksbenz: No apologies! Your feedback is real. Thanks. I just didn't want to debate the merits (preference) with a bunch of folks who've never had them ;-) Sounds like a bit of body work. Was it a kit? Do you remember the mfg? Did it yourself? Thanks again . . .

Old 12-03-2011, 08:35 PM
ksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to all
The conversion was carried out by my Bentley dealer and was a kit whose name escapes me, but it was well known in that field and I understand the best at that time.

It was not cheap from what I remember and was not that straight forward, as all the electric wires had to be lengthened due to the doors going up. Also fixing the bodywork where it rubbed, though they may have modified this now. The doors never shut as nice as my spider either but maybe I was just fussy. Think it cost approx. $20k at the time. I thought it did look great though and very unique on a G. I may have some pics I could dig up if interested.

Anyway good luck.

Keith.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by ksbenz
The conversion was carried out by my Bentley dealer and was a kit whose name escapes me, but it was well known in that field and I understand the best at that time.

It was not cheap from what I remember and was not that straight forward, as all the electric wires had to be lengthened due to the doors going up. Also fixing the bodywork where it rubbed, though they may have modified this now. The doors never shut as nice as my spider either but maybe I was just fussy. Think it cost approx. $20k at the time. I thought it did look great though and very unique on a G. I may have some pics I could dig up if interested.

Anyway good luck.

Keith.
Thanks for the details. Pictures are always welcomed here, but don't spend a lot of time looking for them. Would be great if you had any pics of the problem areas you mentioned.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:05 PM
Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !
Regis.
Unless you're planning to make the car a show car, I wouldn't do it. I have a number of friends who did the "lambo door" kit to various vehicles during the height of the trend's popularity in 2005-2008. Escalades, H2's, Z's, etc. etc.

First, there is a significant amount of custom amount of body work and reshaping/shaving/painting that must be done, as KS already mentioned. There is not bolt-on kit for any vehicle.

Second, the trend is dated. I know this a personal decision and trends be damned, but still, it looks a bit wonky and the novelty for both owner and onlooker will wear off quickly. Those in the know will simply look at your doors up Gallardo, roll their eyes and mutter "Couldn't afford the Murci."

Which always brings to mind this amusing picture:

Old 12-04-2011, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by Heist
Regis.
Unless you're planning to make the car a show car, I wouldn't do it. I have a number of friends who did the "lambo door" kit to various vehicles during the height of the trend's popularity in 2005-2008. Escalades, H2's, Z's, etc. etc.

First, there is a significant amount of custom amount of body work and reshaping/shaving/painting that must be done, as KS already mentioned. There is not bolt-on kit for any vehicle.

Second, the trend is dated. I know this a personal decision and trends be damned, but still, it looks a bit wonky and the novelty for both owner and onlooker will wear off quickly. Those in the know will simply look at your doors up Gallardo, roll their eyes and mutter "Couldn't afford the Murci."

Which always brings to mind this amusing picture:
LMFAO

Seriously, I am cracking up at your post! This made my day. Thanks so much for the input. Seems the trend is towards this being a whole lot of work. Honestly, I was hoping folks would be saying "yeah, a $5k kit and $1k of labor and you're golden!"

Thanks again . . .

Old 12-04-2011, 12:52 PM
spf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the rough
I've yet to see an aftermarket Lambo door conversion that isn't wobbly.

Old 12-04-2011, 04:13 PM
koop has a spectacular aura aboutkoop has a spectacular aura about
Also keep in mind that this will definitely have a negative impact on resale value. Your car already looks great.. if I were you, I'd put that money towards a TT kit.

Last edited by koop; 12-04-2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:55 PM
medici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud of
I had a Gallardo. When I wanted scissor doors, I upgraded to the Murcielago.

I never considered "Lambo" doors on the Gallardo for the reasons mentioned. It's too much work that ends up hurting the car. The Gallardo is a badass car and doesn't need "Lambo" doors for people to know what it is.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:02 AM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
verticaldoors.com sells kits. I installed a set on a C6 vette a few years back at a past job and they had the "outward" swinging functionality you are looking for. Keep in mind you can not put them up until they are opened out first. The kit was bolt on and there was no real modification necessary that I remember. The labor should be no more than $2000.00

I am not sure if verticaldoors makes a kit for the G though.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by spf4000
I've yet to see an aftermarket Lambo door conversion that isn't wobbly.
Thanks . . .

Old 12-06-2011, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by koop
Also keep in mind that this will definitely have a negative impact on resale value. Your car already looks great.. if I were you, I'd put that money towards a TT kit.
You are probably right but, Like I tell my wife, "I try not to live for the next guy!". resale is not as important as the "current" value to me I just hope there's another nut just like me out there who'll want it when I'm done, LoL. I've tracked my car at the Pocono raceway and hit 170mph. I drive 3-4 times a week, city and highway. For me, TT would not add that much more excitement to my routine. I'm probably not going to get much over 170 (mostly cause I'm scared), and acceleration from traffic light to traffic light is pretty darn fast already!

Old 12-06-2011, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by medici78
I had a Gallardo. When I wanted scissor doors, I upgraded to the Murcielago.

I never considered "Lambo" doors on the Gallardo for the reasons mentioned. It's too much work that ends up hurting the car. The Gallardo is a badass car and doesn't need "Lambo" doors for people to know what it is.
Man . . . I wish I could! Those were some expensive doors

Old 12-06-2011, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by David@Fabspeed
verticaldoors.com sells kits. I installed a set on a C6 vette a few years back at a past job and they had the "outward" swinging functionality you are looking for. Keep in mind you can not put them up until they are opened out first. The kit was bolt on and there was no real modification necessary that I remember. The labor should be no more than $2000.00

I am not sure if verticaldoors makes a kit for the G though.
Thanks David. They had "Lambo" doors for every car but the "Lambo"! However, when I clicked the "models" link thinking it would show me the car models they made kits for, I got a pleasant surprise.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anybody done vertical/scissor/wing doors on Gallardo?