Lexus Forum for the Lexus LF-A, Lexus IS-F and other Lexus models

Lexus IS-F vs. E63 AMG and BMW m5

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 04:29 PM
s4play has a spectacular aura abouts4play has a spectacular aura abouts4play has a spectacular aura about
Lexus IS-F vs. E63 AMG and BMW m5

Before you guys tell me how the IS-F is not in the same class as the e63 / m5, yes I know this very well. Unfortunately Lexus does not make a GS-F yet so I’m looking at the IS-F and quite frankly I really believe the Lexus brand has the best customer service. Also resale value on a Lexus "seems" better.

I know a few of you board members here have the IS-F – just wondering how tall you guys are and if you have any complaints from rear seat passengers on leg room? Do you guys miss the ability to hold a 5th passenger? Or the lack of fold down rear seats?

The e63 and m5 both seem to do everything the IS-F does but in a much larger footprint with seating for 5, fold down seats and roughly 100 more hp from the engine bay. I compared the fuel economy and the IS-F is only slightly better than the e63.

Seems most e63 and m5’s are going for mid $50’s but I’m more concerned about the warranty if something goes wrong. Lexus I’ll be buying a new one with full warranty for under $50k new.

So if we take the money factor out, which car would you guys pick based on the criteria above? Speed wise they are all fast and nice cars. I’m certainly not going to take any of these to the drag strip or race track so that is of no issue to me.

Yes I test drove all 3 cars and love all of them for various reasons!

Sorry if I’m rambling…
Rk

Old 01-30-2009, 10:06 PM
Banned
8speed is on a distinguished road
The IS-F is the most well built, balanced, linear and best all-around car I have ever owned. And I'm coming from a pretty decent stable from a 400+ hp STi to a Dinan M5.

I average over 20 mpg because of the vaunted 8 speed transmission and can more than hold my own vs exotics costing twice as much (just ask the 997S I pulled on from 100 mph and the Maserati I smoked in LA last summer from stop light to stop light). Tuning market is finally coming around with MHP development and there is already some exhausts and intakes hitting the market.

If you want to replace rear tires every 4,000 miles and average 10 mpg buy an AMG! If you wan't the best overall car in its class, buy the F

Last edited by 8speed; 01-30-2009 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:26 AM
h20tt is on a distinguished road
I ran a 2002 porsche turbo for 5 years and a cls55 for 21/2 years, the isf fulfills all of my car needs as well if not better than those cars. Hope this helps!

Old 01-31-2009, 08:18 AM
texasnoiz is on a distinguished road
our Sales Manager friend at Perillo BMW in dwntwn Chicago says the E AMG cars are more solid and reliable than any M5 will ever be - so btwn those two the E is the way to go. Now btwn IS-F and E63, well, the AMGs are tanking bigtime 07's are less than $45K. It is no doubt a stellar machine, but I have yet to test out the IS-F. 8speed is quite happy with his IS-F as an all around performer.
We had the first generation LS400 from back in the day when it first came out and Lexus outdid everyone in service, even Acura. I am sure their service still blows away BMW and MBenz.
Might pick E63 for the brute force and looks - but that might change once I test out the IS-F (Ferrari like shifting must be amazing!)

Old 01-31-2009, 06:18 PM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
Its amazing how much AMGs take a beating on price. I was pondering a CLS55 as my next car (changed my mind for a myriad of reasons) and was looking at cars that were 24 months old that had already taken a $35K bath.

ISF is a great car...just a little put off by the look of the exhaust. Profile, front end and interior looks pretty damn good to me.

Resale value on Lexus is about as good as it gets.

Old 01-31-2009, 11:58 PM
Banned
8speed is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by amerlemans
Its amazing how much AMGs take a beating on price. I was pondering a CLS55 as my next car (changed my mind for a myriad of reasons) and was looking at cars that were 24 months old that had already taken a $35K bath.

ISF is a great car...just a little put off by the look of the exhaust. Profile, front end and interior looks pretty damn good to me.

Resale value on Lexus is about as good as it gets.

+1

You can't go wrong with yota/lexus

In regards to the stacked tips, I get 80% more positive feedback from people coming up and asking me about the car because 90% of the general public doesn't even know what the car is. I tell them that it's a completely different chasis than the IS platform and the engine is a handbuilt yamaha motor designed by Skunk in Japan. No one has a clue about the heritage!

Old 02-04-2009, 06:37 PM
jchou38 has a spectacular aura aboutjchou38 has a spectacular aura about
i have the IS-F and personally i love it, its one of the best cars of its class!!!

Old 02-04-2009, 09:53 PM
jsl757 is on a distinguished road
I have an is-f as well and it really is a great car. The backseats are pretty small but I rarely have people sitting in the rear.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:29 AM
dc5itr329 has a spectacular aura aboutdc5itr329 has a spectacular aura aboutdc5itr329 has a spectacular aura about
I've driven a regular IS and thinks a great car. Great handling characteristics. However if the choice was between the two and money wasn't a factor then I would go M5 all the way.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:50 PM
s4play has a spectacular aura abouts4play has a spectacular aura abouts4play has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by texasnoiz
our Sales Manager friend at Perillo BMW in dwntwn Chicago says the E AMG cars are more solid and reliable than any M5 will ever be - so btwn those two the E is the way to go. Now btwn IS-F and E63, well, the AMGs are tanking bigtime 07's are less than $45K. It is no doubt a stellar machine, but I have yet to test out the IS-F. 8speed is quite happy with his IS-F as an all around performer.
We had the first generation LS400 from back in the day when it first came out and Lexus outdid everyone in service, even Acura. I am sure their service still blows away BMW and MBenz.
Might pick E63 for the brute force and looks - but that might change once I test out the IS-F (Ferrari like shifting must be amazing!)

thanks for all the replies - I've been to Perillo many times back in the day and they are a great dealer along with Bill Jacobs BMW. It really something to hear a BMW manager say the AMG car is the better choice. I've owned BMW but always preferred the manual tranny just for shifting and durability's sake. I've heard mixed things about the SMG tranny needing service so a bit hesitant on it.

h20tt: Thanks for your comments, that helps a lot in saying how much the IS-F has ability wise

I missed my chance on a great IS-F deal as I was traveling on business so going to keep looking.

I really like the E63 AMG for it's size, sheer power and looks but I seem to keep coming back to Lexus even with it's smaller back seats and lack of trunk space.

Finding a nice low mileage WHITE e63 or e60 m5 is nearly impossible even in this economy so will keep looking for now.

thanks
rk