Macan Forum for the new Porsche Macan

Macan vs Cayenne who is going to buy this thing?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 08:30 PM
eyedoc00 is on a distinguished road
Macan will be the most popular porsche

I was at my dealer today. I predict that this car will outsell the panamera and cayenne combined.

What's great about this car is that it does everything. It can be a sports car, SUV & sedan.

Since I have a 991s, Cayenne S, and a Panamera 4 Platinum edition, I won't be buying one.

The Cayenne is better for me because we can easily take 3 or 4 adults skiing with all our gear. The macan won't get that done.

That being said, I want to drive it. A mini SUV with PDK intrigues me.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:59 PM
pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by fastm3
I guess it's partially aimed at me. I've driven Cayennes many times, when my 911 has been in service. I just find it too big, and I don't like big cars. I bought an X3 over an X5 a few years ago, as an example. I want an SUV, but not a big one. At this point it's either the Macan or the Q5 for me.

Having now seen the car, albeit virtually, as well as its price, I think I'm going to put down a deposit this week for Euro Delivery around April of next year. The Q5 would've cost right around $50K the way I wanted to configure it. Looks like I might be able to configure a Macan S for around $55K, which is not a bad differential considering a) It's probably faster and handles better, b) It's probably slightly better built and slightly more luxurious, and c) It's a Porsche and it's a new model, so it'll probably hold it's value a bit better.
What he said - also waiting to throw down a deposit on the Macan

Old 11-20-2013, 09:45 PM
Matt911 is on a distinguished road
Why they wouldn't put the PDK in the Cayenne, and now offer it in the Macan?

Old 11-21-2013, 12:45 AM
grapesmc will become famous soon enoughgrapesmc will become famous soon enough
I'm hoping my wife will. She has an X3 and wants to either get another or move into a X5 when he lease is up. She's already accusing me of bullying her with propaganda.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:03 AM
Kief is on a distinguished road
Hi Guys,
Let me begin by saying I'm really excited about this car and being a recent member of 6Speed. I'm typically more active on BMW forums as I tend to drink the BMW Kool-Aid, but I'm due for a change.

I'm looking to replace my wife's 2011 X5d. Nothing wrong with it, but it is just getting long in the tooth. I'm not really feeling the new F15 (X5) and nor do I think we need the space of an X5. If I had to describe my priorities for this next purchase, it would be: fast/sporty, handling, and a bit of useful utility to handle to handful of trips to the dump & Lowes and to haul our German Shepherd. I have recently test driven the new X5 35i and 50i, but again, they are not cutting it for me. I test drove the Cayenne (base, diesel, & S) and wasn't too impressed with those either. Lastly, I test drove the Audi SQ5 and WOW! What a fun vehicle. It sounded great, handled well, and was fast. I didn't like the fact that we don't get the euro-spec suspension (wheel gap) and it really didn't look that much sharper than the standard Q5. I have been following the Macan for a while and when it was finally revealed yesterday, I think I finally found the right product! Honestly, what I really would love is Audi to bring over the RS4/6 Avant, that would fit our needs perfectly! But unfortunately this country loves their SUV and hates wagons/avants/tourings.

So with that being said, I am seriously interested in the Macan Turbo, or at the very least, Macan S. The X5s I was building were spec'd out in the high $70k to $80k range. Although I am new to Porsche, I'm well aware that everything cost additional! I spec'd the Turbo and S to be $71k and $81k, respectively. I know this is a brand new model and the hype is going to be strong right out the gate, but do you guys think there will be any room to negotiate this Spring when they arrive? I know the delta between invoice and msrp is huge with Porsche. Obviously I would need to test drive the Macan to see if I really like it, but so far I think this is the closest vehicle to fit our needs.

What would be must haves on the Macan in terms of resale value? This would be a purchase and not a lease.
Thanks guys!

Old 11-21-2013, 07:57 AM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
out selling the other models would be great to help Porsche sales, I remember when everyone thought the Cayenne was a mistake!!

Old 11-21-2013, 10:41 AM
jnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to all
Originally Posted by grapesmc
I'm hoping my wife will. She has an X3 and wants to either get another or move into a X5 when he lease is up. She's already accusing me of bullying her with propaganda.
Keep at it. I believe the Macan will be a way better handling vehicle than either of those. And unless the fit and finish is below Pcar standards, it will be better put together as well.

Old 11-21-2013, 04:57 PM
MotoEV is on a distinguished road
Going for the Macan S Diesel

I'm a torque addict so the 2015 Macan S Diesel will be a nice add to the garage. Canceling my Telsa Model X deposit

Agate Grey
Natural Brown all leather interior
Sport Exhaust
Panorama Roof
Sport Steering Wheel
PASM / Air Suspension
Tow Package (for my motorcycle)

LA Auto Show - 1st Look (reviewer is 6 foot tall)
http://bcove.me/7k41g8ij

Last edited by MotoEV; 11-21-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:35 PM
kram96 is on a distinguished road
In a way I feel like I'm not your typical member on this forum... I'm a huge fan of sports cars but I've only owned one new car in my life (out of 10 so far).

Since 2003 I've always loved the Infiniti FX and just two years ago I finally purchased a 2008 with every option. It was probably the first real "sports car crossover" and I love it for that feel. The car is a bit dated but I still think it's pretty awesome to drive and I still get comments on how nice it is.

Because I'm a car nut, I spend a few hours a week just researching cars on the internet searching for the best of the best. So far I've owned, in order: 93 Grand AM GT, 97 Acura CL, 04 Corvette, 07 G35x Sedan, 06 Acura TSX, 03 350x, 06 Cayman S, 08 Infiniti FX, 05 Boxster S, 01 S2000.

I think I'm ready for the next car / SUV and it has to fit my road bike in the trunk without taking it apart. This is where I've come down to either a 2012 Audi A7 or the Macan S.

In a way, I feel like I'm the perfect candidate for a Macan, with being a single cyclist that's in love with cars.

Last edited by kram96; 11-21-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:53 PM
mightyanxious is on a distinguished road
Trading in my Cayenne GTS for the Macan Turbo. 1,000 lbs lighter.
0-60 4.4 s

Old 11-22-2013, 01:57 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kram96
In a way I feel like I'm not your typical member on this forum... I'm a huge fan of sports cars but I've only owned one new car in my life (out of 10 so far).

Since 2003 I've always loved the Infiniti FX and just two years ago I finally purchased a 2008 with every option. It was probably the first real "sports car crossover" and I love it for that feel. The car is a bit dated but I still think it's pretty awesome to drive and I still get comments on how nice it is.

Because I'm a car nut, I spend a few hours a week just researching cars on the internet searching for the best of the best. So far I've owned, in order: 93 Grand AM GT, 97 Acura CL, 04 Corvette, 07 G35x Sedan, 06 Acura TSX, 03 350x, 06 Cayman S, 08 Infiniti FX, 05 Boxster S, 01 S2000.

I think I'm ready for the next car / SUV and it has to fit my road bike in the trunk without taking it apart. This is where I've come down to either a 2012 Audi A7 or the Macan S.

In a way, I feel like I'm the perfect candidate for a Macan, with being a single cyclist that's in love with cars.

with ya!! that was my criteria for the Panamera, it also fits in one piece in my Cayenne, I am thinking you will need to take the front wheel off to put in the Macan??

Old 11-22-2013, 02:26 PM
SeaCay is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mightyanxious
Trading in my Cayenne GTS for the Macan Turbo. 1,000 lbs lighter.
0-60 4.4 s
Me too on having the Cayenne GTS and possibly downsizing a bit to the Macan Turbo. I think the curb weight difference is "only" about 350 lbs however.

Old 11-22-2013, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by SeaCay
Me too on having the Cayenne GTS and possibly downsizing a bit to the Macan Turbo. I think the curb weight difference is "only" about 350 lbs however.
honestly I am thinking the feel of those two cars are gonna be pretty close!

Old 11-22-2013, 02:39 PM
mightyanxious is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by SeaCay
Car & Driver says my GTS's curb weight is 5394 lb.

Macan Turbo 4292 lb.

Old 11-22-2013, 03:19 PM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
I am in!!
A practical sized SUV with 400hp TT V6 + PDK is my dream come true

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Macan vs Cayenne who is going to buy this thing?