Macan Forum for the new Porsche Macan

Considering a Macan S: your input appreciated

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 03:46 PM
aspantaleone is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by tskeen
Thanks to this thread and the info I gained here, I decided to go Turbo. Only could get a couple options. After configuring a S to near $73k I'll admit it was hard to let go of some of the flashy options I'd selected and go a rather plain Turbo build....but I'd have always wondered about the 3.6. Biggest option I had to settle was wheels. Thinking of running 2 sets later on when the budget will allow. Bound to be some awesome choices soon aftermarket.
What are your final specs? I'm in same situation specd out s for $72k.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:39 PM
tskeen is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by aspantaleone
What are your final specs? I'm in same situation specd out s for $72k.
Hitch and entry/exit gizmo...whatever it's called. White ext, blk int, w brushed alum. Pretty basic auto. Turbo wheels. Plan to add another set of wheels at some point. Should be some great choices out before too long. So many features are standard on T that are extra on S.

Hard decision for me...2 tone full leather and Panao roof spoke to me...but alas the 3.6 screamed loudest and won out in the end.

No bad choice to be made here....please yourself!

Old 03-24-2014, 09:50 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
FWIW, I found the post in the link below to be very helpful when considering options. Hopefully I'm not violating any forum rules by including it below. I copied and pasted it into a WORD document for my continued reference.

http://www.macanforum.com/forum/new-...pros-cons.html

Old 03-24-2014, 10:14 PM
Dr. Ferdinand is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I enjoyed reading the above .

I do agree on all the price configurations expressed in your post . It's somewhat amusing to see the wheels of thought processing the various mathematical combinations. You are not alone !!
Glad you got a kick of my 'thought process', hopefully there was some logic, though I do feel at the end of the day it will end up being more of an emotional than rational/logical purchase My work requires analytics, and I guess I've brought that in my auto analysis

I do not believe that time is an ally . The cool colors ,facelifted and improved Cayenne , and refreshed 2015 991 all point to more choices accross the Porsche board and my guess is that prices on everything will go upward . I also feel that whatever car is being traded in will be worth less too .
I follow what you are saying, in my case since I won't be trading in a car, there is not much at stake in terms of realizing value quicker. What I was referring to that hopefully after the initial rush and a fairly one-sided market (built up demand and limited supply), eventually production will catch up and buyer will have some leverage restored (and more colors to chose from which is a major plus for me as the current palette leaves me wanting). Then again, if these vehicles do sell like hot cakes (as anticipated at least by Porsche), maybe we won't see these market dynamics subsiding at all. And you have to put a price on 'gotta have it now' and enjoyment factor. YOLO, right?

Two questions -
1) Do you want to guess the 1/4 mile time of a Macan Turbo ? It's not on the Porsche website .
2) Do you want to guess the Nurburgring lap time ? It also is not on the Porsche website .

I wonder if the numbers are so good that if they were available as official then how would Porsche sell the cars still sitting in inventory as quickly ?

I realize the colors are somewhat plain vanillla . I'll take my vanillla Macan Turbo sight unseen nor test driven because I truly hope and speculate that these are the ground floor prices to own a spectacular vehicle .
To answer your questions as best I can, I'll have to speculate what the times would be (since there is no official confirmation), but will gladly do so since you kindly asked I would venture a (wild) guess, is that the Ring time will be sub 8:20, perhaps as low as 8:low-teens (assuming all performance options are ticked, incl PTV which would matter on a track). In fact, I will go as far as saying for the record, that on certain racetracks like Hockenheim (where it is less about straight line acceleration, and more about nimbleness, center of gravity, exit speed and available tq), it will be quicker than the Cayenne Turbo! 1/4 mile times at 12.5-12.7. Trap speed is the real question, as that in many ways is an indicator of real (as opposed to stated) HP. I am almost certain that Porsche severely underrated the SAE figures (the Macan S is surely more than 340hp crank, and ditto for the stated 400 crank on the T). As I usually dyno my cars shortly after break-in, I will likely do the same here as well.

Here is the website for 'official' Nurburgring lap times, you can see the old gen Cayenne GTS (8:50.02) and Turbo (8:33.99) numbers; the Macan has yet to make an entry. For reference, the X6 ///M is at 8:24, which I expect the Macan T to best. You can click on each entrant, and it is important to note that while you often get who was the driver, there is not much other pertinent detail, such as tires (size and brand), conditions of test, which options were equipped on said model (e.g. Sport Chrono/PTV/PASM/heavy sunroof, etc. - note that the Cayenne GTS was actually tested with 6-spd manual!), etc. etc. So some of these variable can contribute to fairly sizable differences (e.g. I'd reckon a Macan S with PTV/Sport Chrono/PASM+Air, panorama sunroof delete/295 summer rubber will shave easily a few seconds off a non-performance + heavier weight optioned Macan S).

http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/nordschleife.html

Originally Posted by keninirvine
I'm so relieved that you guys are so much like I am in all this data analysis, and that I'm not the only one who thinks this way. Of course, I think we all pretend this type of analysis generates a logical answer to a question that ultimately our emotional side will answer LOL. We'll each buy the one we want, because nobody can precisely predict the cost of depreciation in a fluctuating market environment.

I'm not clear about your final questions yrralis1, regarding how would Porsche sell their cars sitting in inventory if we knew the 1/4 mile and Nurburgring times. Are you suggesting the times would be disappointing and therefore hurt sales?

Keep it up guys. I'm lovin' it.
Yes Ken, take solace you are not alone. We all share this common sickness, but hey, as they say admission is the first step to recovery!

Old 03-25-2014, 12:02 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I follow what you are saying, in my case since I won't be trading in a car, there is not much at stake in terms of realizing value quicker. What I was referring to that hopefully after the initial rush and a fairly one-sided market (built up demand and limited supply), eventually production will catch up and buyer will have some leverage restored (and more colors to chose from which is a major plus for me as the current palette leaves me wanting). Then again, if these vehicles do sell like hot cakes (as anticipated at least by Porsche), maybe we won't see these market dynamics subsiding at all. And you have to put a price on 'gotta have it now' and enjoyment factor
If you are not trading in a car then you face only one transaction . It may not matter much if you decide to wait.

In my case I am trading in a 2012 Cayenne . There is absolutely nothing wrong with the car . In fact its a beautiful car but it's not a Macan Turbo . The dynamics in my case is that the new Cayenne will also be released soon . I probably would have bought one had the macan not existed . In fact if i was looking for a luxury SUV I probably would opt fora Cayenne base or diesel . However I want pefrormance and with PDK mated to a Turbo in a smaller SUV this choice for me became very clear .

Old 03-25-2014, 12:16 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
To answer your questions as best I can, I'll have to speculate what the times would be (since there is no official confirmation), but will gladly do so since you kindly asked I would venture a (wild) guess, is that the Ring time will be sub 8:20, perhaps as low as 8:low-teens (assuming all performance options are ticked, incl PTV which would matter on a track). In fact, I will go as far as saying for the record, that on certain racetracks like Hockenheim (where it is less about straight line acceleration, and more about nimbleness, center of gravity, exit speed and available tq), it will be quicker than the Cayenne Turbo! 1/4 mile times at 12.5-12.7. Trap speed is the real question, as that in many ways is an indicator of real (as opposed to stated) HP. I am almost certain that Porsche severely underrated the SAE figures (the Macan S is surely more than 340hp crank, and ditto for the stated 400 crank on the T). As I usually dyno my cars shortly after break-in, I will likely do the same here as well.

Here is the website for 'official' Nurburgring lap times, you can see the old gen Cayenne GTS (8:50.02) and Turbo (8:33.99) numbers; the Macan has yet to make an entry. For reference, the X6 ///M is at 8:24, which I expect the Macan T to best. You can click on each entrant, and it is important to note that while you often get who was the driver, there is not much other pertinent detail, such as tires (size and brand), conditions of test, which options were equipped on said model (e.g. Sport Chrono/PTV/PASM/heavy sunroof, etc. - note that the Cayenne GTS was actually tested with 6-spd manual!), etc. etc. So some of these variable can contribute to fairly sizable differences (e.g. I'd reckon a Macan S with PTV/Sport Chrono/PASM+Air, panorama sunroof delete/295 summer rubber will shave easily a few seconds off a non-performance + heavier weight optioned Macan S).
This article already informally raises the "low 8" ideas of the Macan Turbo at the ring http://www.autoweek.com/article/2013...news/131119954

I believe it will easily beat the current GTS and Turbo at the Nurburgring . As for the straight line numbers , Porsche claims 4.4 to 60 (with sport chrono) placing it in a tie with the Cayenne Turbo . The 1/4 time is not listed nor can one insert the Macan models into the comparison choices . Of course the new 15 Cayenne is not out yet but at 165K for a Turbo S it has to do a lot more than just edge out a Macan Turbo to justify the huge premium . Also note that the cayenne will be redesigned a few years after the refresh and the Macan is the new face at the bottom price . It will be a fresh and current vehicle for a awhile .

The more I talk about the Macan Turbo the more I see how it stands out not just in its own right but even against all the other Porsches.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:09 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
While having my 997 serviced today I had an hour long chat with my local salesman today about the Macan. He has an open slot for an S with a Sept build and late Oct/early Nov delivery. Final config will be due in early July. I'm considering putting a deposit on it as it is the last open slot for this dealer at this point. He assured me that if I decide to cancel, he'd have no trouble finding another buyer to take it over, especially after the first deliveries are due mid May and will likely stimulate a lot of new interest. Can't wait to test drive the Dealer's only as-yet-unsold S when it arrives in May.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:53 PM
While having my 997 serviced today I had an hour long chat with my local salesman today about the Macan. He has an open slot for an S with a Sept build and late Oct/early Nov delivery. Final config will be due in early July. I'm considering putting a deposit on it as it is the last open slot for this dealer at this point. He assured me that if I decide to cancel, he'd have no trouble finding another buyer to take it over, especially after the first deliveries are due mid May and will likely stimulate a lot of new interest. Can't wait to test drive the Dealer's only as-yet-unsold S when it arrives in May.
As of last week when I placed my order the local dealership here has 5 S slots available and one more turbo after mine . The remaining Turbo was a Sept build and I do not recall the S dates . I realize that you are 3K miles away but it may be worth a phone call to them if you want a car sooner or decide on a Turbo (unless these slots have been taken since i was there).

Old 03-25-2014, 09:07 PM
As of last week when I placed my order the local dealership here has 5 S slots available and one more turbo after mine . The remaining Turbo was a Sept build and I do not recall the S dates . I realize that you are 3K miles away but it may be worth a phone call to them if you want a car sooner or decide on a Turbo (unless these slots have been taken since i was there).
Thanks. I'm not really in a hurry as I need to sell my cab first, and that may take many months. If I end up in a situation where there are no appropriate slots at my local dealer when I'm ready to pull the final trigger, I'll likely contact dealers in Seattle and/or So Cal who get bigger allotments. Currently I'm not convinced I want, need, or can afford a Turbo. Thus the need to drive the S to see how it feels.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:18 PM
Thanks. I'm not really in a hurry as I need to sell my cab first, and that may take many months. If I end up in a situation where there are no appropriate slots at my local dealer when I'm ready to pull the final trigger, I'll likely contact dealers in Seattle and/or So Cal who get bigger allotments. Currently I'm not convinced I want, need, or can afford a Turbo. Thus the need to drive the S to see how it feels.
I wish you the best in the decision process . As you can see by the many posts on this thread I think collectively all of us must have worn out the Porsche configurator .

Old 04-04-2014, 08:23 PM
09RedGTS is on a distinguished road
I'm buying a used Macan in the next 12-18 months or so and can tell you I would not consider one without heated and cooled seats as our new retirement homes are in the Orlando and Chicago areas. The new cost is small compared to the extra appeal when selling. Most everything else is acceptable even tho varying considerably.

Last edited by 09RedGTS; 04-04-2014 at 08:33 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:53 PM
doktordyper is an unknown quantity at this point
sorry if this has been mentioned, I didn't go through all 55 reply's, but sport chrono is not compatible with infotainment. strange as it sounds, but the configurator does not allow it and my local dealer confirmed it. I have an order in on an S for my wife to sadly learn this, please correct me if i'm wrong

Old 04-29-2014, 06:16 PM
doktordyper is an unknown quantity at this point
never mind, "sport chrono icw PCM" compatible w/ infotainment...