Macan Forum for the new Porsche Macan

My 2016 Macan S Build Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 07:20 AM
ZTZ1010 is on a distinguished road
My 2016 Macan S Build Thread

Figured I would start a single centralized hub for updates and new photos as I continue putting my Macan together.

Any feedback or suggestions are appreciated, I'm new to this forum and scene so you guys probably know more about parts and modifications than I do. I'm happy to answer any questions, also.

For starters, my car is pretty basic compared to many of the wild and exciting builds I've seen on here. It's jet black metallic, and equipped only with premium pack, infotainment, heated steering wheel, and the standard black interior.

I'm coming from an E92 M3 as a daily, so this is quite the 'different' car for me.

As far as modifications go, so far I have:

--Removed the 'Macan S' badging

Name:  pqLn6fS.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  150.7 KB

-- Changed the side markers from orange to black

Before

Name:  QePcjtd.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  92.4 KB

After

Name:  8BOviRK.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  95.4 KB

-- Blacked out the chrome window trim + added 20% tint to match the factory privacy glass

Before

Name:  kDaLJzH.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  79.6 KB

After

Name:  0oYUK5Y.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  31.8 KB

Name:  XjfBo6z.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  31.2 KB

-- Replaced the factory foglight bulbs with the Mautolite replacement LED's

Left is stock, right is new

Name:  lr5hZHp.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  85.1 KB

Both new

Name:  kGc71wQ.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  90.8 KB

Wanted to to start a new thread for those who may not have seen this posted on my build thread but may be interested in the exhaust.

AWE Touring Edition Exhaust

So just as a precursor, I've never owned an AWE product before. When I had my last two BMW's, AWE was just coming into that market and for whatever reason I never found myself going in that direction. However, after seeing and hearing this exhaust in the flesh, I'm kicking myself for not evaluating their offerings more closely before.

I decided to pull the trigger on the AWE exhaust after what seemed like hours and hours of research. I have plenty of Audi/Porsche friends who recommended AWE heavily and the videos and links I found online seemed to confirm the same idea. I was a bit concerned that there weren’t any specific videos or reviews about this exhaust for the Macans, aside from what AWE had posted, but I figured someone had to be the first to review it!. I ended up picking the Touring edition because I liked the idea of a “full” system.

I do want to add that the majority of my driving so far has been in manual mode + sport mode.

The Install: The build quality and craftsmanship on this exhaust are truly astounding. The attention to detail with aspects like the sleek and classy AWE logoing as well as the perfection of the welds make for a beautiful yet VERY functional addition. I absolutely LOVE the look of the car with the new tips. The entire install took maybe 45 minutes to an hour, start to finish, including putting the car up and letting the stock exhaust cool down.

Everything bolted right up to the factory mounting points, and the hardware provided with the kit was top notch. The instructions were perfect (although the install was pretty straight forward if you have any automotive experience). They even provided a plug (I assume with a resistor in it) to emulate the rear valve from the factory exhaust being plugged in. Kudos to you for that one, AWE.

Stock exhaust

Attachment 1

AWE bolted up

Attachment 1

Tips mounted

Attachment 1

Close up of AWE midsection

Attachment 1

rear + tips

Attachment 1

another one (DJ khaled voice)

Attachment 1

finished product on the ground (ignore the filthy car)

Attachment 1

The Sound: I’ve really only put about 30-40 miles on it on my way back from the shop, so I don’t want to give any premature feedback on sound just yet. For now, all I can say is wow. This exhaust REALLY woke the macan up. I was a little disappointed when I first got the car based on how quiet the factory exhaust was. The motor sounded like a monster, but there was almost no matching tone coming out the rear. I tried pulling the controller on the rear valve to keep it open all the time, which did add a bit more sound, but it still wasn’t enough for me.

With the AWE, the cold start is unreal and sounds like a caged animal waiting to pounce. I loved the sound of the stock car on cold start, and wished I could amplify that during driving. As everyone knows, once the cats are heated and the car turns off that richer running warm up map, the car quiets down quite a bit. The same is still true, and the car does quiet down substantially with the exhaust after cold start. However, now, the car screams all the way through the power band, and the crackle and pop on decal and downshift is purely intoxicating. To me, this is what the car should have sounded like from the factory. The tone is perfect and definitely sounds “Porsche-esque”. I think it has the perfect mix of sporty and aggressive while still maintaining a balance of classy and elegant.

The exhaust is loud, but not insanely, and definitely quieter than my 335 or M3. The shifts of the PDK sound racecar-ish (in a good way), and I find myself rowing through the gears just to hear them. I’m still messing around with the gearing on the car trying to find where the best/most comfortable place in the RPM range is to cruise in manual mode. For whatever reason, the exhaust seems much more tame/quiet in automatic mode, so it may just be that for aggressive driving, manual mode is optimal, while highway cruising with passengers may be better suited to “automatic” mode. Like I said, I haven’t had a real chance to drive it for a long period of time, so I will come back to this in the future with some videos.

Having a car that matches sound with performance was very important to me. I liked the idea of the PSE or the TechArt valved system, but the price just wasn’t for me. All in all, I’m very happy with the exhaust so far. I think it met all of my requirements, and went above and beyond my expectations. After I have a bit more seat time, I’ll come back and update this post with more long term detail and video.

For now, I’m just going to post a few photos of the install. This is mostly because my car is still not broken in yet (750 miles on the clock) and I want to make sure that when I post videos, they encompass the exhaust through the entire RPM range. I’ll have the gopro setup this week for some cruising/interior cabin clips to demonstrate the sound while cruising.

Drive off:

Cold Start:

***Upcoming:

I've also replaced the pedals with sport ones (though I haven't gotten around to installing the dead pedal yet or getting any photos). That will also be forthcoming.

I'm considering lowering the car on a set of H&R Sport springs. I've had similar setups on other cars, and although springs aren't my first choice, I expect that they will improve the look of the car aesthetically, and reduce the slight body roll I feel cornering.

I'm also definitely doing a set of 20" wheels... hopefully sooner rather than later.

Finally, I was planning to pick up a Vivid Tuning VRTuned box in the next month or so, but based on a fault issue posted on the Macan forum, I may wait to see how that is resolved.

I'll keep this thread updated as much as I can with new info and pictures. Thanks for looking!

Last edited by ZTZ1010; 01-12-2016 at 07:29 AM.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:42 AM
Site Sponsor
GMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond repute
Looking great so far!! Let us know if you need any assistance!

Old 03-18-2016, 10:34 PM
BruceWonder will become famous soon enough
does that exhaust drone at all?

Old 03-19-2016, 06:34 AM
GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !
Great build and great thread. Congrats. You definately need some new shoes to enhance this build.

Old 10-29-2016, 08:14 PM
Moving Chicane will become famous soon enoughMoving Chicane will become famous soon enough
Did you tint your side markers or buy replacement (black) units? If the later, where did you get them?

Old 10-30-2016, 08:12 AM
Porscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Moving Chicane
Did you tint your side markers or buy replacement (black) units? If the later, where did you get them?
Bumperplugs.com sells them.