Maserati Quattroporte, GranTurismo, Gran Sport, Coupe, MC12

How many miles is too many - used QP question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 02:06 PM
epbrown01 is on a distinguished road
How many miles is too many - used QP question

I've lurked on this forum for a while, and now that I'm seriously considering a luxury sedan the Quattroporte is back on my radar. There are two 07 Sport GTs I like, one local and one not so, both with 50-60k miles. It's rare to see these with a lot of miles, and I'm curious if anyone here has similar miles and how their car is doing. My commute is 50 miles/day roundtrip, so they would pile up quickly. Plan B is a used 760i or S65.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:53 AM
MI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to behold
question can only be answered subjectively, but...

when other than normal maintenance is required then the vehicle has "too many miles"

Old 03-04-2012, 10:47 PM
epbrown01 is on a distinguished road
So no one here has a Quattroporte with more than 50,000 miles?

Old 03-05-2012, 11:00 PM
Nsxe320 is on a distinguished road
Go for the 760i, I used to own one and boy was it fast, luxurious and handled the streets like a king

Old 03-09-2012, 02:16 AM
986_c6 is on a distinguished road
My 06 is approaching 50k miles (more traffic and city driving than highway), and works like a charm. More than likely those cars racked up the miles in the first few years and then were sitting around waiting to be bought, which is ok.

Just buy the darn thing! 50 miles/day, would yield 1000 miles a month, 12k miles a year--->big deal!

Old 03-20-2012, 11:51 PM
bape123 is on a distinguished road
65k>>>>

Old 06-09-2012, 12:42 PM
trovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nice
a friend's QP started to fall apart at 70k i am told.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:56 PM
MikeGT is on a distinguished road
I'm driving an 07 Quatro GT with $68k miles. In the last couple of months, a few electrical issues (such as window sensors = $100 fix), and the clutch. The clutch seems to be the big price scare: $8k? I don't think so. The parts from Maserati totaled about $1400. My mechanic who works on my Porsche race car installed it in about 8 hours... total cost was about $2400 I think (with parts). I've driven everything - you name it, I've had it (I have a wholesale license: buy, drive, then flip). The QGT is one of my favorite cars in this particular class (luxury sports sedan).

Here is my comment on the 07 QGT with high mileage: Ride is fairly comfortable in it's normal mode, although doesn't give the confidence and feel like other sport sedans (a bit loose in the corners). Put the car in Sport Mode, and the cornering improves, but then the transmission down shifts are a bit too high in the revs (almost like a track setting). Interior quality is outstanding (seats, doors, center console...seems like you will never see any wear). All the Maserati's seem to look new inside despite their sometimes very high mileage (50-70k+). You will have some silly electrical issues, but the parts are cheap and easy enough for most mechanics to fix. The Ferrari trans is fun to use because it's the real deal (not like the tip-tronic). But expect longer shifting transitions than your Ferrari 360. Also, the auto drive mode, same delays as the paddle shifting (your wife won't like this at all). Hard braking feels very controlled compared to other sedans, instilling perhaps too much confidence in your ability to stop on a dime. Power: sorry, this car feels slow and sluggish compared to other sport sedans (but if you want speed, get a sports car...this is really a luxury car). Gas mileage: sucks, but who cares? Style and show: This car will prompt questions from strangers and turn heads from BMW and Mercedes owners... Jag owners, not so much (they probably tossed the coin on the Maserati vs Jag). Of course, the exhaust note is what this car is known for...you simply can't beat it. I own the Carrera GT (not a car I flip, sorry), which probably has one of the best screaming notes on the highway in the Exotic Car category. The exhaust note of the Quatro GT ranks number one in my book for any 4 door sports sedan. It's the only four door sedan you will turn DOWN the radio for.
This QGT is a daily driver for me at least for the next couple of months (no rush to move it)... and I may just keep this one.

Last edited by MikeGT; 07-11-2012 at 11:43 PM.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:34 AM
SoCal997 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MikeGT
I'm driving an 07 Quatro GT with $68k miles. In the last couple of months, a few electrical issues (such as window sensors = $100 fix), and the clutch. The clutch seems to be the big price scare: $8k? I don't think so. The parts from Maserati totaled about $1400. My mechanic who works on my Porsche race car installed it in about 8 hours... total cost was about $2400 I think (with parts). I've driven everything - you name it, I've had it (I have a wholesale license: buy, drive, then flip). The QGT is one of my favorite cars in this particular class (luxury sports sedan).

Here is my comment on the 07 QGT with high mileage: Ride is fairly comfortable in it's normal mode, although doesn't give the confidence and feel like other sport sedans (a bit loose in the corners). Put the car in Sport Mode, and the cornering improves, but then the transmission down shifts are a bit too high in the revs (almost like a track setting). Interior quality is outstanding (seats, doors, center console...seems like you will never see any wear). All the Maserati's seem to look new inside despite their sometimes very high mileage (50-70k+). You will have some silly electrical issues, but the parts are cheap and easy enough for most mechanics to fix. The Ferrari trans is fun to use because it's the real deal (not like the tip-tronic). But expect longer shifting transitions than your Ferrari 360. Also, the auto drive mode, same delays as the paddle shifting (your wife won't like this at all). Hard braking feels very controlled compared to other sedans, instilling perhaps too much confidence in your ability to stop on a dime. Power: sorry, this car feels slow and sluggish compared to other sport sedans (but if you want speed, get a sports car...this is really a luxury car). Gas mileage: sucks, but who cares? Style and show: This car will prompt questions from strangers and turn heads from BMW and Mercedes owners... Jag owners, not so much (they probably tossed the coin on the Maserati vs Jag). Of course, the exhaust note is what this car is known for...you simply can't beat it. I own the Carrera GT (not a car I flip, sorry), which probably has one of the best screaming notes on the highway in the Exotic Car category. The exhaust note of the Quatro GT ranks number one in my book for any 4 door sports sedan. It's the only four door sedan you will turn DOWN the radio for.
This QGT is a daily driver for me at least for the next couple of months (no rush to move it)... and I may just keep this one.

Hi Mike GT, where is your mechanic who can do the clutch replacement for this price? I'm thinking about picking up a 2006 QP with over 60K miles to replace my Cayenne and this was my primary concern.

Thanks!

Old 09-06-2013, 11:59 AM
MikeGT is on a distinguished road
Although he builds Porsche racecars from the ground up, it's not his primary 9-5 job - so advertising his name and number he probably would object to. That being said, he would probably do the work for you - please PM me for his name and number (he's in Riverside CA).

Interesting to read my own comments posted a year ago...
Now I'm driving an 08 S65 with the V12 Biturbo motor...love the car, but miss that QGT...

Mike

Old 04-22-2014, 02:46 AM
laurusm is on a distinguished road
as long as maintenance record is perfect, <100k is acceptable