Maserati Quattroporte, GranTurismo, Gran Sport, Coupe, MC12

Novitec for 14 QP GTS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 09:24 AM
jyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond repute
Novitec for 14 QP GTS?

Hi Guys,

Thinking about doing the Novitec ECU for my 2014 GTS, which brings up the to 605hp and 605 lb-ft. Install quoted by dealer is 5 hours ( a little exaggerated but it is the dealer)

Does anyone have any experience with Novitec ECU tunes? I know they are a reputable tuner but there just isnt alot of information on this tune. I've had GIAC tunes on NA car before but this is my first FI engine car, so hope I would feel a significant difference in day to day driving?

Thanks in advance,

John

Old 03-09-2015, 06:57 PM
tarasgrosh is on a distinguished road
Hey John,
First, I love the color combinations and detailing to your QP GTS; tastefully executed.
Second, what have the NOVITEC upgrades done to enhance the character of the car?
My wife an I will be in the market In the next few months and are torn with what to buy/lease and although will ultimately decide once we drive our finalists side by side, would really love some perspective, especially after the NOVITEC tune.

Background:
I'm 6'6" 205lb she is 5'4" our son is 15 months (back seat mandatory)
My wife loves the Maserati GT and QP, but the QP just doesn't fit any niche for me.
Where the S8/s63/XJR/bmw7 are spectacular luxo-barges that check all the objective boxes and excel quantitatively (performance and features) they are either to artificial/digitally enhanced even though mind-numbing acceleration (s8), resemble a stretched ford contour (XJR), livery (s63), or are indistinguishable from the siblings (BMW).
So we narrowed down to the following preowned:
A) 2012 AM Rapide (aural/visual/emotional choice) limited visibility when driving, more road noise than competitors, back seat perfect for... A 15 MONTH OLD!! Those who have the car, as a daily driver are you over the novelty of the v12, limited visibility, interior space? (Felt great for the hour or so test drive but what's it like beyond?)
B) 2012 Bentley FS/CGT Speed (gentleman wafter) ample space, abundant luxury, effortless long distance cruise missile- but is it a bit long in tooth? Is the navitainment limited, but more importantly will the drive make me forget about it?
C) Panamera Turbo ?executive? (The athlete not short on technology and luxury- but like the Audi/Merc/Benz becoming more common, but is it for good reason? Will the realiability and ability to consistently perform supercar maneuvers outweigh the lack of exclusivity of the AM and Bentley?
D) Maserati QP GTS- this is where I have the most questions for you John. The QP is very long with AMPLE back seat space( thank you Chinese market, imactually fit comfortably with babyseat). The shape and design, especially the way your car is optioned, is second only to the AM in the looks department. The million dollar question, is how has the performance improved with the NOVITEC tune!? I was underwhelmed with the GTS otherwise pre-tune. I was expecting more Italian passion, excitement, aural satisfaction (what the AM and PMTT provide) and brutal performance (PMTT)...
Has the tune made it the complete package? Or is the PMTT still the favorite for luxury, performance, exclusivity, desire, and daily satisfaction?

Old 03-09-2015, 08:21 PM
jyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by tarasgrosh
Hey John,
First, I love the color combinations and detailing to your QP GTS; tastefully executed.
Second, what have the NOVITEC upgrades done to enhance the character of the car?
My wife an I will be in the market In the next few months and are torn with what to buy/lease and although will ultimately decide once we drive our finalists side by side, would really love some perspective, especially after the NOVITEC tune.

Background:
I'm 6'6" 205lb she is 5'4" our son is 15 months (back seat mandatory)
My wife loves the Maserati GT and QP, but the QP just doesn't fit any niche for me.
Where the S8/s63/XJR/bmw7 are spectacular luxo-barges that check all the objective boxes and excel quantitatively (performance and features) they are either to artificial/digitally enhanced even though mind-numbing acceleration (s8), resemble a stretched ford contour (XJR), livery (s63), or are indistinguishable from the siblings (BMW).
So we narrowed down to the following preowned:
A) 2012 AM Rapide (aural/visual/emotional choice) limited visibility when driving, more road noise than competitors, back seat perfect for... A 15 MONTH OLD!! Those who have the car, as a daily driver are you over the novelty of the v12, limited visibility, interior space? (Felt great for the hour or so test drive but what's it like beyond?)
B) 2012 Bentley FS/CGT Speed (gentleman wafter) ample space, abundant luxury, effortless long distance cruise missile- but is it a bit long in tooth? Is the navitainment limited, but more importantly will the drive make me forget about it?
C) Panamera Turbo ?executive? (The athlete not short on technology and luxury- but like the Audi/Merc/Benz becoming more common, but is it for good reason? Will the realiability and ability to consistently perform supercar maneuvers outweigh the lack of exclusivity of the AM and Bentley?
D) Maserati QP GTS- this is where I have the most questions for you John. The QP is very long with AMPLE back seat space( thank you Chinese market, imactually fit comfortably with babyseat). The shape and design, especially the way your car is optioned, is second only to the AM in the looks department. The million dollar question, is how has the performance improved with the NOVITEC tune!? I was underwhelmed with the GTS otherwise pre-tune. I was expecting more Italian passion, excitement, aural satisfaction (what the AM and PMTT provide) and brutal performance (PMTT)...
Has the tune made it the complete package? Or is the PMTT still the favorite for luxury, performance, exclusivity, desire, and daily satisfaction?
Hi there,
Thanks for the compliment on color. I'm actually getting the exterior wrapped in frozen black chrome next week. This is the first time I had the opportunity to drive the car on the highway and it completely blew my mind. I have driven/ cross shopped in most the cars you mentioned above, this tune made the mas number one in term of acceleration based on my buttdyno. I know almost all these cars are under 4 seconds 0-60 except for the am, the mas felt scary fast. It is impossible to keep the wheels from spinning in first and second gears, car is tail happy and I spun tires in 3rd gear a few times, all this is with traction on.
The car just pulls hard at all speed. Before the mas felt panamera 4s fast, now it feels like a pan turbo or even a turbo s. Perhaps it is because the traction intervention is less aggressive than the other car, or because my car is lowered and closer to the ground. I just don't recall another 4 door sedan or any size car with 4 doors that felt this fast. So in terms of acceraltion I am very satisfied, and as a bonus, my mpg increases to 19 from 14 with a combination of local and highway and plenty of aggressive driving.
Did the tune make the car a better car overall? Yes, in terms of acceleration. However I still think the panamera turbo is a better car and a better package. It is practical, better built, better transmission, pretty much better everything.

I never loved my car, at some point I regreted my purchase due to the pretty much everything except for the badge. The sound is unsophisticated, steering wheel is too big, seats are too flat, fit and finish is not great and tons of little things that annoyed me. It just felt like an unfinished product. Now I start to like it more.

If you have decided on the gts, I would say the ecu tune is a must. I got mine installed at mas of Manhattan, the service dept is exceptional and very mod friendly.

If not then I would test drive all the cars again and make your decision. Looks like you live near by, if you like to test drive my car feel free to reach out.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by jyupitt1; 03-09-2015 at 08:23 PM.