Maserati Quattroporte, GranTurismo, Gran Sport, Coupe, MC12

Adios Maserati :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 09:10 AM
HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !
Adios Maserati :(

I was running some errands a few weeks ago and a nice gentleman in a hurry to get coffee pulled left in front of me.

I had about 1 second to create a little bit of an angle, then bam, airbag-city.

I was traveling about 30mph and the other car was going ~15.

The good news is that my kids weren't in the car, and I was not severely injured - nor was the nice gentleman in the Buick.

The bad news is the GTS is toast. Estimate to repair >$80K.

The nice gentleman in the Buick was ticketed for failure to yield.

PSA: My insurance company, American Family, was an absolute horror to work with. Their entire adjustment department were ill-equipped to accurately evaluate the actual value of the car, from both practical and philosophical perspectives.

At the time of my accident, there were 13 2012 GTS convertibles for sale in the USA with miles anywhere close to mine (average 11K), asking prices ranged from $84K to $105K. The MSRP's of those vehicles ranged from ~$140K to $160K respectively. My car had 7K miles and original MSRP was $162K.

The adjuster initially offered me $85K as a total loss. I took much time to attempt to educate both the adjuster and his Manager regarding value as they had never written a total loss on a Maserati (really). After much back and forth, and finally, under threat of being sued, American Family offered me $98.5K + TTL ~ $106K. Not what I wanted, but it was time to move on. FWIW, I was a 33 year AMFAM customer with quite a few vehicles under their coverage. They could have given a sh*t.

Three lessons:
1) Don't insure high-line cars (or other property) with American Family.
2) Regardless of carrier, make sure your insurance policy is a stated value one. As you know, Maserati's drop in value quickly, are limited in numbers, and there is no repair 'book' for labor on them. That can be a setup for low pay-out if your car is totaled.
3) Don't insure high-line cars (or other property) with American Family.

Drive safe guys.

Before:

After:

Nice man's Buick:

Old 12-31-2015, 10:28 PM
Kent will become famous soon enough
That sucks!

Old 02-21-2016, 08:40 PM
JetJockey will become famous soon enoughJetJockey will become famous soon enough
Wow. Thanks for the information. Very valuable. Also, your lucky your weren't hurt. I have a friend who lost his 17 year old daughter to a slow speed airbag incident. It was not pretty.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:30 AM
Tarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond repute
American family do suck. I had an experience with them back in 2010 when i hit a chair on the FWY in my 911. They were terrible to work with.

If i were you i'd buy that car back though and fix it and keep it forever as a salvage title car. The damage actually doesn't look that bad, probably a 30k fix in the real world if you buy used parts!!!!

Old 05-31-2016, 08:55 PM
sarenar is an unknown quantity at this point
Never good to see cars in that condition, hope you find a replacement soon.

Old 09-15-2016, 06:52 PM
OhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to behold
I know this is an old thread, but had to comment. American Family is a terrible insurance company. Just had to get that out of my system.

Old 09-16-2016, 05:15 AM
AudiThunder is on a distinguished road
+1 on American Family. Sadly, there are A LOT of similar carriers that will screw you like that. I learned the hard way with my 996TT with a small carrier by the name of IFA Insurance (I don't think they're allowed to write business in a lot of states anymore due to the fact that they weren't able to handle claims properly)

My 911 turbo (996) was hit in the rear by a distracted driver a few years back with extremely poor coverage- other driver was at fault and my record was squeaky clean. Long story short, they gave me the bare minimum. I had just over 50k miles and the car had the X50 package, etc. This was when they were going for pretty good too, despite market values and the extent of the damage, they ended up totaling it. Very disappointing and a farewell to my turbo.

But the important thing is that nobody was hurt, as in your case.

Old 01-03-2017, 03:42 PM
BigBastard is an unknown quantity at this point
Good breakdown of what occurred. Sorry to hear about your loss! Glad your kids were not in the car...