McLaren MP4-12C, SLR, F1, P1, P13

Lapping a P1 at Laguna Seca

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 06:22 AM
treynor has a spectacular aura abouttreynor has a spectacular aura about
Lapping a P1 at Laguna Seca

From a 90dB event on Monday. It was my first time on track with the P1, and we got 14 laps of track time. Despite the 2.3 sec of lost time between T5 and T6 due to noise restrictions, it's already looking very very good

Limiting factor right now is definitely the tires; the chassis and brakes in particular are ready for more. Driving the P1 on Trofeo's is like driving a race car on worn-out slicks, and I expect to see this car's laptimes tumble as better tires become available.

Old 11-28-2014, 07:20 PM
Electron Mike is on a distinguished road
Epic, thanks for sharing! Is there enough regeneration to keep the batteries charged and thus the power unit at full chat for an entire session?

Last edited by Electron Mike; 11-28-2014 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:02 AM
Originally Posted by Electron Mike
Epic, thanks for sharing! Is there enough regeneration to keep the batteries charged and thus the power unit at full chat for an entire session?
Interesting question. The video I posted was from lap 6 of the session. Looking at the video, the prior 2 laps were both within 0.4 secs, so the car had reached a steady state of sorts by lap 4. I didn't have a video recording the dash to monitor charge state; I'll add that to my list for next round.

Old 11-30-2014, 06:25 AM
SRoser has a reputation beyond reputeSRoser has a reputation beyond reputeSRoser has a reputation beyond reputeSRoser has a reputation beyond reputeSRoser has a reputation beyond reputeSRoser has a reputation beyond reputeSRoser has a reputation beyond reputeSRoser has a reputation beyond reputeSRoser has a reputation beyond reputeSRoser has a reputation beyond reputeSRoser has a reputation beyond repute
Some people have said that the Trofeos don't give much more grip than the legacy PZero Corsas (not the new PZero Corsa System on P1) but wear a lot faster. This review in particular. Any truth?

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Pi...ero-Trofeo.htm

It feels softer overall than the Pirelli Corsa Semis. Its dry grip is excellent and seems to have a tiny advantage over it's predecessor. I cannot really tell about wet grip, since I didn't go to the limit. But don't be fooled, it wears out very quick! I had them mounted factory new on my Ferrari F430 and planned to have fun all day in Mugello. After a couple fast laps, it started to overheat despite proper pressure. Soon after, I got back to the pits with completely worn out front tyres. The mechanics have never seen something like that before. I want the Corsa Semislicks to come back!!

Old 11-30-2014, 06:43 AM
SRoser has a reputation beyond reputeSRoser has a reputation beyond reputeSRoser has a reputation beyond reputeSRoser has a reputation beyond reputeSRoser has a reputation beyond reputeSRoser has a reputation beyond reputeSRoser has a reputation beyond reputeSRoser has a reputation beyond reputeSRoser has a reputation beyond reputeSRoser has a reputation beyond reputeSRoser has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Electron Mike
It talks about it at 20:40 in this MT video. Basically if you're not getting past 250kph on straights it maintains charge. Beyond that you may(unknown?) not have the full beans at the top end for repeated laps, however you would still have it up to 250kph, which is the important part of acceleration for putting area under the vt graph faster. Beyond 250kph, you might be stuck with a mere 737hp and 500hp/ton I guess. I believe 'boost mode' and manual IPAS allow you to deploy it tactically.

Looking at the actual scale on the graph the battery never gets below 80% of max, so even with much longer straights you're probably looking at many laps to wear it down. It also starts near 70% charge and still makes it to 100%, so the narrow width of the graph is likely making it difficult to tell how sharp those max charge peaks really are. Clearly if it starts at 70% and makes it to 100%, then starting from a trough of 80%, it must get to 100% and stay there for a while. Even though it doesn't recharge from the wheels during braking, the engine is still recharging it during braking and during corners and during TCS intervention, basically any time WOT isn't used. The real issue is that it uses more gas to do it this way but the relatively small, lower revving 3.8L V8 likely uses less gas than bigger higher revving engines when not recharging and not having a KERS system saves weight and improves brake feel.

Last edited by SRoser; 11-30-2014 at 10:51 AM.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by SRoser
Some people have said that the Trofeos don't give much more grip than the legacy PZero Corsas (not the new PZero Corsa System on P1) but wear a lot faster. This review in particular. Any truth?

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Pi...ero-Trofeo.htm
I can't say as I've never run Corsas on the P1. The Trofeos looked only mildly worn after 20 laps at Laguna and I expect to run several more sessions on them, so my experience was clearly different from the poster cited above.

Old 12-01-2014, 05:13 AM
Interesting. Thanks! Clearly a lot of different information going around about Trofeos.

Old 12-05-2014, 05:02 PM
Former Vendor
Cam@CNCMotors is on a distinguished road
Awesome video! The P1 looks and sounds amazing, it must be a blast to drive....

Old 12-10-2014, 10:05 AM
Former Vendor
HOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute
Amazing video, thank you for the share!!!