Mercedes / AMG Mercedes talk on the E55 AMG, SLK 55, SL65, the other Classic Mercedes models.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: EGT Mercedes

Thoughts/opinions on G500?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 01:40 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Thoughts/opinions on G500?

I'm going to be getting an SUV next spring for when my kids come to visit me during the summer and I've been tossing around a Range Rover Sport or X5 but that changed when I saw a G500 on the street recently and I decided that was the car for me. I really know very little about their reliability and performance as a daily driver though and I'm wondering if anybody here has one (or had one) and what they thought?

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-01-2009, 07:39 AM
SSIIICK is on a distinguished road
Definitely go for a test drive in the G500. It drives very differently compared to a Range Rover Sport and X5. Some people love the G500 and some people absolutely despise the way the G500 drive stating it "drives like a tank." Haha! I think it is an awesome car and I actually like the way it drives, but that's just me.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:42 PM
Fas1 is infamous around these partsFas1 is infamous around these parts
why don't you get a lx470 or the new lx570 I have one and it's pretty reliable.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:30 PM
knicks will become famous soon enough
or how about since this is a porsche biased forum for the most part, get a cayenne? owning a porsche i'd think you'd consider it, i guess you dont like it lol

the g500 is pretty quick, but i hate the looks. its a box, literally. i like the new rangerover or the 4.8, or 4.4 x5 i forgot which one it was?

but if i had to choose id take the rangerover. speed doesnt matter i dont think anyone has tracked a g500

Old 09-01-2009, 10:59 PM
devster is on a distinguished road
I love the g500. My lawyer has one and I think it looks fantastic. I haven't driven one but I hear they drive very much like trucks compared to other suvs like the rx series, x5 and glk.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:23 PM
SunDevilFan is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by teflon_jones
I'm going to be getting an SUV next spring for when my kids come to visit me during the summer and I've been tossing around a Range Rover Sport or X5 but that changed when I saw a G500 on the street recently and I decided that was the car for me. I really know very little about their reliability and performance as a daily driver though and I'm wondering if anybody here has one (or had one) and what they thought?

Thanks in advance!
I almost purchased one a year or so ago, and wish I had. My wife chose another vehicle, so I was out of luck.

We've now decided that our next SUV will most likely be a GL or G. I've read and talked to people that own G's and the consensus I've come across is that the '06 and newer models are the least problematic. If you like your SUV's "tough and capable" the G should be a perfect fit as long as you don't need a third row and don't care about gas mileage. They ride a little on the rough side, drive like a truck, are extremely well built and do very well off-road. I've personally seen a stock G500 do a trail here in AZ (Crown King) that is notoriously difficult for stock vehicles. It came thru without a scratch. My friend and I were completely shocked at how it performed rock crawling and digging its way thru mud and sand.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:42 PM
factoryKITTED is on a distinguished road
You either love it, hate it or are in a love/hate relationship. I have a 06 G55k and it is a monster. Its not a vehicle that you want to drive everyday - its very rough and harsh. The G500 isnt quiet as stiff as the 55 version. If this is going to be a 2nd or 3rd car i would say go for it. The car is very stressful to drive but at the same time you will freakin love driving it. I put myself in love/hate category - I sometimes hate it but i know it will be with me for a long long time. I drive it once or twice a week and it puts a smile on my face everytime i hear the 55 motor rip. The 4x4 system is second to none - not many other vehicles come with locking differentials.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:42 PM
nyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud of
I had one and absolutely loved it. It definitely drives "like a truck" but to be fair it is. I don't know if your doing any off-roading but if you are nothing beats it.
As far as power is concerned it has plenty, good amount of torque too, it really moves off the line. Do expect some squeaks/rattles due the high rigidity of the chassis. Also expect a lot of attention because this thing turns a lot of heads.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:08 PM
PitbullSL500 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by teflon_jones

Thanks in advance!
How are you going to use it? If it is a daily driver with normal off roading then look at a Toyota/Lexus SUV the Landcruiser or LX. If you want to look different on the road and don't mine the expense then get the G. If you want to spend a lot of money and time on repairs get the RR or X5. Also no one is going to take a $50K plus SUV rock crawling

Last edited by PitbullSL500; 10-09-2009 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:40 AM
factoryKITTED is on a distinguished road
Umm wrong.

Originally Posted by PitbullSL500
Also no one is going to take a $50K plus SUV rock crawling

Old 10-10-2009, 11:00 AM
PitbullSL500 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by factoryKITTED
Umm wrong.
Most

Old 10-12-2009, 08:29 PM
Banned
brandongt3 is on a distinguished road
g500 is sexy in my opinion!

Old 10-14-2009, 11:13 PM
fizzywomack is on a distinguished road
ive always loved g wagens many of my friends have owned them over the years..i would even venture to say its the best looking suv around..however in my opinion its a horrendous drive..ive come close to buying the amg model several times most seriously a white one with a full lorinser package but i ultimately couldn't buy it because the ride was so unrefined..it handles and turns terribly and i really was looking for something with the ride quality of a range rover..ive heard more horror stories of mechanical issues with ranges than g wagens in all honesty...if at the time i could have afforded both i would have bought the g based on looks alone good luck

Old 01-08-2010, 12:09 AM
jr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nice
I'm looking at a G500 to replace my '05 Wrangler Unlimited (long-wheelbase TJ). When most mentioned it "drives like a truck", how does it compare to a Jeep? A Wrangler is also rough on its edges but at least mine is coil-sprung, therefore, it rides better than earlier Jeeps. Would anyone who had driven both G-Wagens and Jeeps care to make a comparison, even though both are both similar and different in many ways?

Old 01-08-2010, 06:21 AM
Griza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by PitbullSL500
If you want to spend a lot of money and time on repairs get the RR or X5.
Maybe the RR but the X5 comes with full maitenance. They are extremely reliable though so not sure where you are coming from. As for the G5, my boy has one and it is a tank. The doors are so heavy you actually have to slam them to shut. It is an awesome SUV, but agree DD one probably wouldn't be fun. Drive one to see if it fits the bill.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.