Mercedes / AMG Mercedes talk on the E55 AMG, SLK 55, SL65, the other Classic Mercedes models.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: EGT Mercedes

AMG manual conversion?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 10:51 AM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
I hate to say it, but manual is really starting to go by the wayside...The new racecars from Porsche arent even really "manual" anymore...autoblip sequentials...Why would I want a manual in my luxury road rocket? A DSG trans in my black series when I hate it would have been nice though...

Old 09-27-2011, 02:27 PM
NickyBlack has a spectacular aura aboutNickyBlack has a spectacular aura aboutNickyBlack has a spectacular aura about
true manuals will eventually not be around anymore, the dual clutch tranny's is where it's at.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:30 PM
ALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant future
I would love to see it done. The fact you can only get an auto is the reason why I would never consider any AMG product to be honest.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:08 PM
e46m3smg will become famous soon enoughe46m3smg will become famous soon enough
No, just no, Mercedes is different to Porsche GT3s and Audi RS4s, it's about comfort and daily driving and luxury and prestige. It's a signature for Mercedes, extreme torque with a smooth auto. Drive the CLS55 and see, the car pulls like a freight train and it almost feels like one gear. I love manuals and being involved...just not in a Mercedes. It's just...weird. Maybe the C63 but not the SLs, CLs, Es and the rest. I also think the autobox is part of why there are E55s running high 10s, yes they have alot of power and torque but the consistent gear changes and smooth acceleration equate to consistent track times. There's no launching either because they make over 600 lb ft (or ft lb :|) of torque at 2300-2500rpm. Couple that with high stall torque converter and you have a pretty good drag racing combination. Yes, it's not nearly as "involving" but in an SL, why do you wanna be involved? Mash the throttle and enjoy the ride.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:27 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by ALPINE6SPD
I would love to see it done. The fact you can only get an auto is the reason why I would never consider any AMG product to be honest.
Without trying to be a complete ***, looking at your car list, that makes sense. Most cars that are generally "underpowered" are FAR more fun when you are rowing your own gears. Of all people, I know...but as said right above this post, the ultra lux mercedes have NEVER meant to have anything resembling a 6 speed in them...they are ALL about never-ending torque and overall prestige.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:05 PM
Nura is on a distinguished road
I thought Renntech did tranny conversions back in the day. Late 1990s was what I recalled.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:44 PM
XLR8.dev is on a distinguished road
We can build it...

Originally Posted by ALPINE6SPD

Sorry I'm late to the party... This is not the first time I have heard this quote. I appreciate the "signature" of Mercedes but some folks are looking for the refinement and style that Mercedes offers but also want the freedom and enjoyment a manual transmission offers. Many people opting for the M Series BMW's over an AMG for the 6 speed.

I have just finished a 6 speed conversion for a customers E36 (originally a 5 speed) and am working on a 6 speed conversion for 1963 Jaguar E-Type. As I told my E-Type customer if you have enough time, money and most importantly patience we will get it done. I do have a customer with an R107 560SL that also wants a "manual trans", obviously a six speed would be great for gas mileage, and we are planning to make this happen once we complete the E-Type. So for anyone who wants an AMG with a stick instead of the auto unit feel free to drop me a note. I own a respected European classic and vintage car shop in Stuart Florida that is more than willing to build you whatever you want.

Old 09-04-2016, 02:00 PM
bagster is an unknown quantity at this point
Ive done 3 Manual Conversions in 124 series diesel 300 cars. 5 speeds from 190's were used. Kickass results. super fast and high MPG 40's. The dogleg transmissions from the cosworths are a must for a v8 conversion due to torque. The 240 6 speeds from 2000 are interchangeable also but as with all of these tasks you need to be able to make a driveshaft. pretty easy once you figure it out. for Mercedes newer that 2000 there is another 6 speed used. Parts from 2004 Chrysler crossfire cars are ALL INTERCHANGABLE. They are MB drivetrains. everycar I do people go nuts for. anything worth doing isn't easy. but frankly this is pretty simple stuff

Old 09-26-2016, 11:57 AM
gotfondue is on a distinguished road

Old 06-24-2020, 02:42 AM
WK Dubai is an unknown quantity at this point
G wagon superturbo diesel manual swap

Looking for bulletproof manual swap on my 1998 G wagon superturbodiesel doing 1000Nm 700hp and used as daily driver and weekend extreme offroader around steep soft sand desert dunes. Its got the OM606 engine with a compound turbo setup and the AMG E55 autogearbox. Let me know how we can talk if you are interested in building or consulting on a dependable adapter kit. I'm thinking merc 2.3 16 and clk500 or ZF5 and ZF6 from e60 BMW 530d, 535d and M5. Seen Om606 adaptor kits for the BMW trans in UK

Originally Posted by bagster
Ive done 3 Manual Conversions in 124 series diesel 300 cars. 5 speeds from 190's were used. Kickass results. super fast and high MPG 40's. The dogleg transmissions from the cosworths are a must for a v8 conversion due to torque. The 240 6 speeds from 2000 are interchangeable also but as with all of these tasks you need to be able to make a driveshaft. pretty easy once you figure it out. for Mercedes newer that 2000 there is another 6 speed used. Parts from 2004 Chrysler crossfire cars are ALL INTERCHANGABLE. They are MB drivetrains. everycar I do people go nuts for. anything worth doing isn't easy. but frankly this is pretty simple stuff