Review, Video and Pictures of My New Custom Exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 07:40 PM
Tonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud of
Review, Video and Pictures of My New Custom Exhaust

Since an aftermarket mufflers for the E46 M3 are quite expensive (upwards of $1,200) I talked to Greg at Mandrel Bending Solutions in Pasadena, MD about what my options were with making a custom exhaust.

I was not concerned about making more power since the car is plenty fast for me, but I wanted a better sound and also wanted to save some weight since the stock muffler weighs 65 pounds. I also wanted to keep the cat so that the emissions wouldn't be affected.

What he ended up doing was removing the stock muffler, running two MBS resonators, then running that out to a set of exhaust tips that are slightly larger than stock. From the rear and side of the car it looks absoultely amazing. The fit is 100% perfect and I can't say enough about how great of a job Greg did...and we haven't even gotten to the sound yet.

In terms of the sound, it's way louder than stock during acceleration but while cruising it is actually very quiet. I was actually surprised how loud it was at some points (low RPMs while accelerating, like going up a hill for example). But we all know how weird and unique the E46 M3 engine sound is, and I was really concerned the rasp was going to be exponentially multiplied, but in all honesty Greg knocked it out of the park with the resonators he chose.

Ok enough talking. Here is what you guys really want. The first video is of the stock exhaust for comparison, and the second video is with the new exhaust installed. Just for reference, I do not have any other engine modifications.

And now onto the pics

For size comparison

Old 05-10-2012, 08:00 PM
02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !
NICELY DONE Tonk! The set up looks pretty damn good and well mounted. It has a nice tone to it too, not raspy at all man, he did a hell of a job. I am sure you picked up a few ponies just with this mod. I definitely want to check it out in person at one of the meets. You are doing very tasteful mods to the car lately, keep it up man, thumbs up!

Old 05-10-2012, 08:05 PM
ssong is on a distinguished road
Sounds really good!

Old 05-10-2012, 08:19 PM
Tonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 02black330ci
NICELY DONE Tonk! The set up looks pretty damn good and well mounted. It has a nice tone to it too, not raspy at all man, he did a hell of a job. I am sure you picked up a few ponies just with this mod. I definitely want to check it out in person at one of the meets. You are doing very tasteful mods to the car lately, keep it up man, thumbs up!
Not sure about increased ponies since I only removed the muffler, didn't upgrade the intake or anything else, but at the very least I've slightly improved the power to weight ratio.

It's pretty loud so I'm sure it's going to either be a love it or hate it kind of thing. I'm a ricer at heart so I love it

Old 05-10-2012, 08:35 PM
dre5373 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tonk
Not sure about increased ponies since I only removed the muffler, didn't upgrade the intake or anything else, but at the very least I've slightly improved the power to weight ratio.

It's pretty loud so I'm sure it's going to either be a love it or hate it kind of thing. I'm a ricer at heart so I love it
Sounds great! Greg @ MBS does fantastic work, he did my exhaust after I got Kleemann headers installed. A friend who does a lot of work with MBS said he has seen Greg bust out the calipers to keep everything exactly parallel God bless OCD!

Hopefully I can hear it in person at HVCC or if I can make it to the Cheesesteak run...

Old 05-10-2012, 09:51 PM
airbrush1 has a spectacular aura aboutairbrush1 has a spectacular aura about
Sounds great! Only thing I would have done differrently would be to have the tips tucked back a bit further, but that's all up to personal taste

Old 05-11-2012, 04:17 AM
Scott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant future
Perfect. Love his work.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:01 AM
G ZILLA is on a distinguished road
well done indeed!

Old 05-11-2012, 07:08 AM
Nandska is on a distinguished road
Very nice Tonk. The exhaust looks and sounds great.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:56 AM
Originally Posted by airbrush1
Sounds great! Only thing I would have done differrently would be to have the tips tucked back a bit further, but that's all up to personal taste
The pics are a little deceiving...They actually don't stick out any further than the stock exhaust. They just look like they do because they're larger diameter.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:18 AM
colt45 is a glorious beacon of lightcolt45 is a glorious beacon of lightcolt45 is a glorious beacon of lightcolt45 is a glorious beacon of lightcolt45 is a glorious beacon of light
looks and sounds great!

Old 05-11-2012, 10:26 AM
KJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Tonk
Since an aftermarket mufflers for the E46 M3 are quite expensive (upwards of $1,200) I talked to Greg at Mandrel Bending Solutions in Pasadena, MD about what my options were with making a custom exhaust.
When I had my M3 yes the exhausts cost about $1500 or so.. I bought the Active Autowerkes.. it sounded great, but yours sounds way better! Congrats!

I'm assuming your cost was cheaper than $1200? If so, that's freakin' ridiculous...

Old 05-11-2012, 10:35 AM
gsrjc will become famous soon enough
That's pretty awesome

Old 05-11-2012, 07:54 PM
simtiaz has a spectacular aura aboutsimtiaz has a spectacular aura about
can't wait to hear it in person, looks and sounds good I had Borla exhaust in my 2002 M3 and Eisenmann in 2004, I liked the Borla better between the two for sound and weight saving purpose.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:56 PM
Scott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by KJM3SMG
When I had my M3 yes the exhausts cost about $1500 or so.. I bought the Active Autowerkes.. it sounded great, but yours sounds way better! Congrats!

I'm assuming your cost was cheaper than $1200? If so, that's freakin' ridiculous...
I'm guessing under three hours and less than $600. Huge bang for that buck.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Review, Video and Pictures of My New Custom Exhaust