2015 Fair Lakes, VA C & C (Kohl's) Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 12:55 PM
rcollum is just really nicercollum is just really nicercollum is just really nicercollum is just really nice
2015 Fair Lakes, VA C & C (Kohl's) Thread

For reference purposes, here is a link to the 2014 Kohl's thread -

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-s-thread.html

Sunday, 1/4/15, the first weekend of the year. It had rained all night, so I stayed home. Later, on my way to breakfast at 10:00AM, my wife and I drove thru and saw the real stalwarts - no less than 20 cars were at the lot. I'm sorry I didn't go, even though the weather was miserable. Sorry - no pictures.

--Bob Collum

Old 01-06-2015, 01:16 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
I was one of the first ones there but left before 10am to head to a photoshoot.

Old 01-11-2015, 01:12 PM
rcollum is just really nicercollum is just really nicercollum is just really nicercollum is just really nice
Fair Lakes, 01/11/15

My Jaguar's temperature reading was definitely wrong - it was 12F when I left home at 7:30AM!

My XK coupe

The Mopar guys always show up in good numbers.

Maserati

Aston Martin Vantage

Trans Am

A Smaller-than-usual Corvette contingent.

Lexus

Germans

Subaru + Shelby-ized Mustang

M3

Galaxie 500

The largest single group there today was the Mustangs.

S2000

Jaguar XK convertible

Brunton Stalker - yep, it was brisk out for an open ride today!

Brunton Stalker

BMW 3.0 CSi

We even had one guy ride a motorcycle today!

Cold this morning (12F when I left the house at 7:30AM), with icy patches on backstreets. Still, clear skies meant plenty of people braved the weather to come see interesting vehicles. As usual, Fair Lakes did not disappoint!

We had many of the usual folks - which is great - and we also had several new people & cars!

That roadster is a Brunton Stalker, a Lotus Seven clone with a Buick turbo V6. Owner just finished building it - he says it's ~1600lbs, 300hp, 300ft-lbs. He drove it today, no top, icy streets - the best kind of crazy!

I'm really glad I came out today!

--Bob Collum

Old 01-13-2015, 07:47 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
I'd never heard of the Brunton before, that's nuts!

Old 01-13-2015, 09:12 AM
Lotus Seven Clones

Scott L's Caterham Superlight at Fair Lakes.

Originally Posted by telum01
I'd never heard of the Brunton before, that's nuts!
Brunton is a kitcar manufacturer, based in Florida. The Brunton Stalker, is a Lotus Seven 'clone'. I've heard that the Lotus Seven, one of the lightest, most basic cars in the world, is second only to Cobras for available clones. Wikipedia lists 40 companies, worldwide, making barely-disguised Lotus Seven copies.

Lotus made their Seven model from 1957 thru 1972, and it was available as either a fully-built car, or (to avoid a tax on fully-built cars in England), as a kit. Lotus wanted to get involved in more up-market, slightly more civilized cars, and so sold the rights to the Seven to a British company called Caterham. Caterham still builds modern iterations of the Seven, with dry weights as low as 995lbs, and engine outputs as high as over 300hp.

The Brunton Stalker in the picture weighs in the neighborhood of 1600lbs, and has a Buick turbo V6, putting out about 300hp, with 300 ft/lbs or torque.

This type of car offers a raw experience, and amazing acceleration and handling, primarily based on insanely low weight. (Lots of fun, but bring eye and ear protection!) Norm, a local guy with a Caterham 7, is a many-time national autocross champion. That's Scott, another nationally-ranked autocrosser, with his Caterham Superlight, in the picture.

Yeah... I really like this kind of car!

--Bob Collum

Last edited by rcollum; 01-13-2015 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:13 PM
Fair Lakes, 01/25/15

Is this the last time we will see Chuck's car?

The Mopar people are here, every Sunday!

2 Jeeps, alongside the Mopar guys.

Dino's Ford GT.

Opel GT

Chevelle Malibu

The Mustang contingent has been coming in numbers for a while...

The other view of the Mustang group.

A smaller-than usual Camaro gathering. Several did arrive later, though...

Two more Challengers arrive.

A small group of Mitsubishi Evo's.

My Elise, a confusing view, with the Neon's picnic-basket spoiler looking like it's on my roof.

An interesting view of 4 'vettes.

Jaguar XK and Aston Vantage - two designs by Ian Callum.

Duncan's Esprit V8.

Audi S3

Porsche GT3 - will we have two of these in attendance, next week???

Rear view, Esprit V8.

Ford GT & GT 500

Paul's '32 Ford Roadster.

?????

Volvo wagon.

A trio of Porsches.

A nice day finally happened today, barely slipping in between snowstorms. The morning alternated between clear and cloudy, but there was not much wind, and the temp eventually got up into the high 40's.

During the winter, I'll take a day like this, any time!

--Bob Collum

Old 01-26-2015, 07:36 AM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
Stop it Bob!

Old 01-27-2015, 08:43 AM
It got really warm at one point. Glad I made it out!

Old 02-01-2015, 12:58 PM
Fair Lakes, 02/01/15

Early Mopar guys.

Chuck's Carrera.

My Elise.

The Mopar group.

Elise - Carrera.

911 SC.

Mustangs.

DeLorean.

350Z.

Corvette.

Jaguar XK.

RHD (Japanese-market) MR2.

Subaru.

2 Chevy SS.

BMWs.

Galaxy 500.

STI.

Stanced Infiniti.

Nissan GTR.

2 Mustamgs.

Audi R8 V8.

S2000.

911 Carerra S.

Audi S4.

Corvette Z06.

The first of February, and temperature was a little better this morning - in the 30's by just after 8:00AM. Not much wind, either, which made a big difference from yesterday. A good turnout, with people starting to get there around 8:00AM.

We did have a few guys doing burnouts/high speed runs down Fair Lakes Parkway today. If anybody knows them, please let them know to keep that away from our venue, as we'd like to keep meeting here.

--Bob Collum

Old 02-08-2015, 06:14 PM
Fair Lakes, 02/08/15

Bobert's 355.

360 Scuderia.

Stingray/

Paul, in his Triumph.

308 QV & 328.

Jaguar XK.

The Mopar gang.

360 Spyder.

M3.

Christine's TT.

Bev, in Her GT-H.

XJ.

Alfa 4C.

Alfa 4C.

Alfa 4C.

Alfa 4C headlight detail.

Slingshot.

Alfa 4C trunk.

Alfa 4C interior.

BMW 3.CSi.

Matt's new M6.

GT3.

Fiat 500's.

Aston Vantage.

Viper.

Bob W's Porsche.

Challenger Hellcat engine - this is what 707hp looks like.

The only external clue that it's a Challenger Hellcat - the fender badge.

Checking the styling similarities between my Elise, and the Alfa 4C.

A warmish Sunday in early February is a rare thing. People turned out in big numbers, and we had a couple of firsts - our first Alfa 4c, and our first Challenger Hellcat.

--Bob Collum

Old 02-15-2015, 08:41 AM
Fair Lakes, 02/15/15

Is it cold? Here's a completely-frozen front license plate.

I'm often asked, when does Cars & Coffee end for the season? I usually explain that it's a year-round event at the venues I attend, with exceptions. Is there salt down? That eliminates most of the exotics. Snow/rain? That winnows out lots of potential attendees, especially front-engine, rear wheel drive, high-horsepower cars. Exceedingly cold temperatures? That should functionally make the weekly Cars & Coffee a non-event.

Here's the reality - lots of people (myself definitely included) look forward, all week long, to our cars and car-friends fix. This week is the best example I can think of. It snowed last night in Fairfax - only an inch or so, but complicated by temperatures of 9 degrees, with the 40mph gusting wind making for a wind chill of minus 15F, at 9:00AM at Fair Lakes.

The pictures below show that the most dedicated of us - the Mopar people - made it to Fair Lakes this morning. Even though they drive front-engine, rear wheel drive, significant horsepower cars, these people made it out. I chickened out. I drove by, got out, and took 5 pictures. Kudos to these hardy folks! (They aren't completely crazy; they were inside Starbucks, no doubt talking about cars!) Hey, where was the Challenger Hellcat?

Yes, that is snow on the parking lot, and that front license plate is completely caked in ice.

--Bob Collum

Old 03-01-2015, 12:14 PM
Fair Lakes, 03/01/15

Temps in the 20's this morning, but it didn't REALLY start snowing until about 8:30AM. We had between 15 and 20 cars at Fair Lakes this morning. Forecasters are calling for a wintry mix in Fairfax, late this morning and this afternoon. It's now March, so here's hoping spring is right around the corner!

You've got to hand it to the Mopar guys; they are out every Sunday, rain, snow or shine!

--Bob Collum

Old 03-08-2015, 02:12 PM
Fair Lakes, 03/08/15

3 Corvettes in attendance.

The Mopar group and friends.

Some more of the early arrivals.

More Mopars.

Bobert's Jaguar XKR Coupe.

The Corvette section.

Some Camaros.

A group of Mustangs.

A Mini, surrounded by the tall snow berms.

BMW

More Mustangs.

Honda Civic.

Evo.

Chuck's Carrera S.

The School Bus.

Alfa 4C.

Alfa 4C.

DeLorean.

Gallardo.

4C.

Cool shoes!

Unique license plate mounting.

Slammed Benz.

Cash, the Alfa dog!

Compare & contrast: the Alfa 4C and my Elise.

Front view, Elise & Alfa 4C.

Attendance numbers - what a difference a week makes! Even though we all turned our clocks forward an hour for daylight savings, there were already 10 to 15 cars at the Fair Lakes lot when I arrived at 8:00AM. Although there was still a lot of snow piled up around the parking lot, the skies were clear, and there was no wind. It was 31 degrees first thing, but it felt warm, compared to what we've been used to lately. People came out to enjoy what we hope is the start of spring weather!

Among other things, we got to compare my Elise to an Alfa 4C, we saw a young guy stylin' in car shoes, and we saw Cash, the Alfa Dog!

--Bob Collum

Old 03-15-2015, 12:08 PM
Fair Lakes, 03/15/15

A brisk day - cold, but dry. Yesterday's rains cleared the salt off, and lots of people came out today. It was a late start, though. Even the always-early Mopar people got there late enough not to have their unbroken front row of cars!

--Bob Collum

Old 03-22-2015, 12:34 PM
Fair Lakes, 03/22/15

The earliest Mopar today.

These Evos got here right after I arrived.

LT-1.

The first of the Camaros to show up.

Perspective.

Corvettes, and almost-Corvette.

Germans.

Chuck's Carrera.

2 blue Mustangs.

Bobert's new Jaguar XKR-S.

Mark's XK.

Callaway Z06 - 627hp.

Dino's Ford GT.

'69 Camaro SS 396.

Ferrari 550 Maranello.

'32 Ford Roadster.

2 Jaguar XK's.

Ferraris - 360 & 328.

Gallardo.

The lot at 9:08AM.

Probably not stock.

XKR-S & XKR.

XJ.

Custom C7.

Spring is finally here! Today was cold and clear, but it seems like everybody came out to enjoy clear streets and no snow. It was an unexpectedly good day for Jaguars. Bobert brought out the XKR-S he just picked up yesterday, and Mrs. Bobert drove their XK Coupe. Three Ferraris, and a ton of other vehicles of all kinds were there today.

--Bob Collum

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2015 Fair Lakes, VA C & C (Kohl's) Thread