Mini Cooper Austin and Morris Mini talk, and the 2001-2006 Mini and Mini S, 2007 to present Mini and Mini S

engine fan won't turn off - defective

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 05:00 PM
sammyh is on a distinguished road
engine fan won't turn off - defective

My brand new Mini (with 900 miles) has a major problem with the fan. After turning off the car, the fan will not turn off. It runs until the battery is dead.

I took it in to have it fixed by the dealer and they turned the relay switch off and on and now it seems to work, however, they actually didn't "fix" anything.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Old 11-29-2007, 11:27 PM
AUDIHenry is infamous around these partsAUDIHenry is infamous around these partsAUDIHenry is infamous around these partsAUDIHenry is infamous around these partsAUDIHenry is infamous around these parts
That's hardly a "major" problem. It was an electrical problem and now it's gone. Be glad.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:39 AM
ALTAADAM007 is on a distinguished road
What year is your MINI and is it a Convertible or a H/B, S or Std? I have some experience with this!

Old 11-30-2007, 09:56 AM
It's a 2007 S hardtop.

The reason I posted this thread is because I read on another forum of someone having the same problem and it ended up with a replacement of a part (costing $600) - not a "turn-off, turn-on" of the relay switch.

Thanks for any info!!

Sammyh

Old 11-30-2007, 10:03 AM
dzy
dzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond repute
Despite what some here might say, this is a major issue, since you can't drive your car anywhere whilst having the problem.
My car suffered from this a while back. If you search the forums you'll find loads of explanations, most common
* faulty relay (cheap fix)
* dead cell in the battery (unusual cause)
* Broken fan (expensive)

I just pulled the plug from the fan everytime I parked (I've got the old version S, but just locate the wires going to the fan and unplug on of them and it should be without power). My dealer tried to fix the problem but couldn't replicate the problem and after I picked it up again, the problem never came back. I guess it just wanted to go home

Oh, and your car's an 07, so the warranty should cover it. Just let the dealership have a look at it just in case.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:27 AM
Thanks so much for the input. Also, thanks for the info on unplugging the fan, in case it happens again.

The service dept just called and said my MCS is ready for pick up. Since they can't figure out what happened and the car hasn't replicated the problem since they un-plugged the relay - we're just crossing our fingers.

BTW, I love my MCS and maybe that's why I was so passionate about having such a "major" set-back with only 900 miles on the car.

Sammyh

Old 11-30-2007, 06:09 PM
ALTAADAM007 is on a distinguished road
That is ODD! We have had those issues with the early cars, but never with the later cars (We have three R56, and two R53) I agree, sounds like something needs replaced, not reset.

Keep me posted! always good to have more information!

Good luck!

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 11-22-2009 at 08:15 PM.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:33 AM
dzy
dzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond repute
In my case, if the hardware was ok, I think that it might have been a software error. I really have no idea.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:50 PM
WJHMH is just really niceWJHMH is just really niceWJHMH is just really niceWJHMH is just really nice
I'm now having this issue with my R53. If it's not one problem with this car it's another.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:13 AM
TiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond repute
it's a common issue...you can fix it by hitting the square black piece in the fan shroud with a hammer (it knocks the corrosion off) and it goes back to working again (granted you have to remove quite a bit to get to it)...there is a write up about it on NAM i think

here is the link, posts 7 and 8 refer to the 'tap' you give it
http://www.mini2.com/forum/first-gen...fan-stays.html

Last edited by TiALSport; 11-25-2009 at 08:16 AM.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:37 AM
Slik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond repute
A brand new MINI with only 900 miles should have this problem FIXED in total by the dealer. I cannot believe they just did a cheesy work-around instead of replacing the damn relay like they should have. I would stay on them and contact your state Attorney General's consumer protection office if they even blink at the idea of making it right. You should not have to put up with this. Car dealers should not get away with this crap.

If the relay failed once, it will happen again. Unplugging it is not a fix. You need that relay to work.