Mini Cooper Austin and Morris Mini talk, and the 2001-2006 Mini and Mini S, 2007 to present Mini and Mini S

Mini Cooper and common problems w/ them?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 2.00 average.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:10 AM
domlee Is a GOD !domlee Is a GOD !domlee Is a GOD !domlee Is a GOD !domlee Is a GOD !domlee Is a GOD !domlee Is a GOD !domlee Is a GOD !domlee Is a GOD !domlee Is a GOD !domlee Is a GOD !
Mini Cooper and common problems w/ them?

I would love to get a Mini Cooper S as a daily. However...in my research...I keep running into threads about problems associated w/ them.

1) Transmission failure problems. This is the number one problem I keep finding. Past owners saying their car was horrible. And w/ this problem, the bill ends up being $5k - $7k to repair (as you have to buy an entire transmission, can't repair just the broken gear/part).
2) Miscellaneous broken items (wipers, leaking roof seal, etc.).

Are these problems just exaggerated?

*When I buy a Mini, it will most likely be used, an S model and a manual transmission.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:11 PM
beaner is on a distinguished road
i've had my 06 MCS for about three years. problems have been minimal. it may not be the lowest cost car to maintain, but i don't think that they are excessive. when someone posts a thread saying "my (whatever) broke", the majority or responses come from those w/ similar problems, not the majority of owners who have had no problems w/ (whatever). i beat on my car very hard. i do a lot of track days and spin it to 8k rpm.

as far as transmissions....i've had no problems. when there is a problem (and they do occur) it is usually w/ the syncros and they are not currently available. this is the reason for the total replacement concept.

power steering cooling fans fail often. power window motors fail at a pretty high rate. hydraulic motor mounts fail too often (05/06).

if maintainance costs are an issue, look into the many available aftermarket plans that are available. these telemarketers seem to have me on speed-dial.

bottom line.....i've been happy w/ my purchase and would do it again.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:40 AM
domlee Is a GOD !domlee Is a GOD !domlee Is a GOD !domlee Is a GOD !domlee Is a GOD !domlee Is a GOD !domlee Is a GOD !domlee Is a GOD !domlee Is a GOD !domlee Is a GOD !domlee Is a GOD !
The 3 items you mentioned are the most prevalent issues I've come across in my research.

Not sure if it is isolated to the older versus the newer model Mini Cooper S yet. Haven't gotten that far in research. But everything you mentioned is spot on.

Thanks for your advice thus far.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:50 AM
mcar00 is a jewel in the roughmcar00 is a jewel in the roughmcar00 is a jewel in the rough
I've got an '09 S for a daily driver and I'm amazed at the quality you get for what the car costs. No problems with it yet other than undercoating oozing out onto the fenders.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:12 PM
chautofu is on a distinguished road
1 of the major problems with the first gen revival minis is that the shock towers are made with inadequate steel stamping. If you live in high pothole or poor road constructions then you will most like experience the shock tower 'shrooming. There is a simple fix, just purchase 1 of the hard plates and install them on the shock towers and adios 'shrooms.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:44 AM
Pickles is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jjbravo
I have an M7 strut bar that I had on my 04S. 125 shipped. I bought this to prevent any strut tower problems. Now it just sits in my basement as the car is long gone.

This is it...

http://www.m7tuning.com/parts/produc...products_id=29
Are you thinking of selling it?

Old 07-16-2009, 03:31 AM
ema
ema is on a distinguished road
For the main question:

yeah, really transmission problems are the most prevalent among the minis. Fortunately, the car maker already innovated the latest models in such a way that these problems could be minimized. They succeeded in doing such, if you are to ask me, but partly. Partly because the innovation comes only for automatic trans which has slight problem on reliability which makes it again, somehow, a failure.There's also an issue on CVT if you do further research.

Last edited by ema; 07-20-2009 at 06:32 PM.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:08 AM
jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Pickles
Are you thinking of selling it?
Sold.

The quy's shock towers were really domed too. Watch out for that.

Oh, I went through a few o2 sensors.

Last edited by jjbravo; 07-18-2009 at 12:11 AM.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:58 AM
spyderman33 is on a distinguished road
I had a clutch issue where the car did a moaning sound from the clutch... it was replaced under warranty and it's all better now.

Mine is an 06 S

Old 08-11-2009, 03:37 AM
sketch is on a distinguished road
I have owned my 2007 Mini Cooper S since new and can honestly and whole heartedly say that my mini has been trouble free. Next month I will pass the 20k mile mark with absolutely no grief. And even if there were to be a problem, chances are the issue's repair costs would be covered by MINI's awesome warranty.

As far as quality goes, I competley agree with mcar00. The car is solid. No groans or creaks whatsoever. Amazing car for $25,000. So awesome in fact my father is considering a fully optioned factory JCW as a new DD. Simply amazing combination of thrills, ease, charm, and heritage. And if you are into make-specific communities, mini has a tremendous following.

Last edited by sketch; 08-11-2009 at 03:42 AM.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:18 PM
BealeAss has much to be proud ofBealeAss has much to be proud ofBealeAss has much to be proud ofBealeAss has much to be proud ofBealeAss has much to be proud ofBealeAss has much to be proud ofBealeAss has much to be proud ofBealeAss has much to be proud ofBealeAss has much to be proud ofBealeAss has much to be proud of
Great thread, subscribed. I've had the same MCS dd idea this past week.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:42 PM
beaner is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by BealeAss
Great thread, subscribed. I've had the same MCS dd idea this past week.
the MINI is a great dd, but is pretty good on the track too! see this thread where i chase a lotus from about the 6m mark.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ini-track.html

Old 08-13-2009, 01:21 PM
fastsvo is on a distinguished road
How do you guys feel about the JCW? Worth the extra $$ or can the same power be made with some bolt ons on a S model? I understand the brakes,shocks and springs are different as well.

I am also split on the Clubman vs the regular hatch body. Some reviews I have read state due to the increased wheelbase, the clubman has better ride/handling characteristics on the real roads (eg. not race tracks). To me it seems it could be a tad safer when carrying rear occupants and in an event of a rear end collision. Any opinions?

-Eric

Old 09-09-2009, 09:02 AM
svldvc is a jewel in the roughsvldvc is a jewel in the roughsvldvc is a jewel in the rough
I have 06 MCS and no problems yet...what year do you want to buy? I heard that 2006 year model was the highest quality MINI they built yet.

Old 10-04-2009, 04:31 PM
b!0hzrd is on a distinguished road
from my personal experience on a mini (mine is a 2004), i've had to replace my entire power steering assembly (every mini from 2001 to 2006 uses the same P/S assembly mine has), and i've heard other people complain of water pump issues. i'm pretty sure my power steering assembly is safe the second time around, because i've fitted a fan guard to my power steering fan, and if you pick up a mini from 2006 or earlier, i suggest you do the same. mini parts stores sell them, the OEM part is overpriced and made of cheap plastic, i picked up one made by cobalt and sold by moss mini for about $40.

if you're buying with a manual transmission, you'll be glad to hear that almost all the transmission issues only affect minis equipped with CVT automatics, and that even some CVT coopers are fine. mine, personally, has 101,000 miles on her and is still running great.

the only manual minis to be wary of are the ones with the 5-speed midlands transmissions, and if i'm not mistaken, the more popular manual box in the cooper S is the 6-speed getrag box, which might as well be bulletproof. i'm considering converting my mini to fit the getrag manual if my CVT ever kicks the bucket.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 2.00 average.

Quick Reply: Mini Cooper and common problems w/ them?