Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

AMS Custom tunes the GTR on our AWD Dynojet! Results Inside!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 11:55 AM
AMS
Former Vendor
AMS has a reputation beyond reputeAMS has a reputation beyond reputeAMS has a reputation beyond reputeAMS has a reputation beyond reputeAMS has a reputation beyond reputeAMS has a reputation beyond reputeAMS has a reputation beyond reputeAMS has a reputation beyond reputeAMS has a reputation beyond reputeAMS has a reputation beyond reputeAMS has a reputation beyond repute
AMS Custom tunes the GTR on our AWD Dynojet! Results Inside!

We've had the software from COBB for quite some time now, but I have been very backlogged catching up with the other cars we have here and the race cars this season. I finally had a chance to get a local GTR in here and do some testing with the AP to see what kind of gains can be had on a mostly stock setup. I am suprised at the lack of complexity in this ECU as compaired to the others that I have had to deal with, but I am not complaining at all! :lol:

The car in question has the following current modification through out the entire testing process:

Challenge Race Y pipe
K&N filters
Eisenmann Race Exahuast
Cobb Accessport

I have a couple charts to show the gains during the entire process. One of the things we pride ourselves in here at AMS are our excellent testing practices.

Here I have the stock mapping vs the COBB Stage II 'off the shelf' map vs the AMS Custom tune I did for the car:

I know it can get a bit confusing looking at everything at one time, so I have further broken down the two most important data points for you to see:

Here is the AMS Custom mapping vs the stock tune:

Here is the AMS Custom Mapping vs the Cobb Stage II 'off the shelf' map.

Cliff notes:

AMS Custom tune on a GTR with very minimal modifications on stock waste gate actuators gained +70whp and +90ft lbs of torque!

AMS Custom tune vs the Cobb Stage II OTS Map gains an astonishing +45whp and +50ft lbs!

Boost on the custom tune runs is at 16psi falling to 12.5
Boost on the COBB map is 14psi falling to 12
Boost on the stock map is 13psi falling to 12

This car has stock waste gate actuators.

As typical with most stock turbo setups the intake and exhaust cam timing can't be exploited for huge gains, but there are definitely noticeable benefits over the stock mapping. You can see in the lower RPM where the car now spools faster and makes more torque sooner. The difference is not easily discernible but there are gains in the top end as well with proper mapping of both the intake and exhaust cams. I am fairly pleased with the result but i would really like to see what we can do with some uprated actuators.

Things that are changed and optimized in the custom tuning:

Intake and Exhaust cam timing are optimized for best spool-up, drivability and top-end power
Ignition timing is optimized and smoothed
Fueling is adjusted to meet the engine's requirements
Boost Wastegate duty cycle is optimized to the specific vehicle, and smoothed to eliminate drivability issues, while maintaining a safe boost level

So, in summation, bring your GTR to AMS and get a tune! We have the ability and are adequately experienced to handle your super car!

[EDIT]

Tuning prices break down as follows:

Custom tune on the dyno $995

E-tune $595 (I send you a map via email and adjust as necessary)

For E-tunes we need the following information:
Which market is the car from (jdm, edm, usdm)
Serial number on the back of the ap unit
Modification list
What octane fuel will be used

Last edited by AMS; 09-18-2009 at 10:36 AM.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:46 PM
Kickhard is a splendid one to beholdKickhard is a splendid one to beholdKickhard is a splendid one to beholdKickhard is a splendid one to beholdKickhard is a splendid one to beholdKickhard is a splendid one to beholdKickhard is a splendid one to behold
Hey thanks for the comparisons, I have a few questions.

The cobb stage 2 map only showed a gain of 25awhp+- from the stock map? This seems totally off as a cobb stage 1 is supposed to gain more than that?

What are power differences from the cobb stage 1 and stage 2? The reason I am asking is my car now runs a cobb stage 1 with a midpipe, a few weeks ago I tried the stage 2 map and honestly my car felt slower even though I noticed the stage 2 ran 1-2 psi more than the stage 1. What could be the reason for this? And what is the reason you are getting so much more from the cobb stage 2 tune compared to your custom tune?

Old 09-11-2009, 02:49 PM
AMS
Former Vendor
AMS has a reputation beyond reputeAMS has a reputation beyond reputeAMS has a reputation beyond reputeAMS has a reputation beyond reputeAMS has a reputation beyond reputeAMS has a reputation beyond reputeAMS has a reputation beyond reputeAMS has a reputation beyond reputeAMS has a reputation beyond reputeAMS has a reputation beyond reputeAMS has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Kickhard
Hey thanks for the comparisons, I have a few questions.

The cobb stage 2 map only showed a gain of 25awhp+- from the stock map? This seems totally off as a cobb stage 1 is supposed to gain more than that?

What are power differences from the cobb stage 1 and stage 2? The reason I am asking is my car now runs a cobb stage 1 with a midpipe, a few weeks ago I tried the stage 2 map and honestly my car felt slower even though I noticed the stage 2 ran 1-2 psi more than the stage 1. What could be the reason for this? And what is the reason you are getting so much more from the cobb stage 2 tune compared to your custom tune?
I was also surprised at the results from the COBB map, but those are the exact results I achieved. The HP gain is pretty far off from what cobb states, which may have just been the wastegate actuators on that specific car, or it may be an issue that is common.

There are alot of reasons why your car may have felt slower on stage II, but none that jump out at me so much so that I can point you in any one specific direction at this point. I have not fully examined the differences between the stage 1 and 2 mapping, but I can't imagine that they are all that much different.

The gains were higher on my mapping because the COBB map is a general map that leaves a bit of a safety margin and also some power on the table due to the fact that every car can be so much different.

-Chris

Old 09-12-2009, 08:47 PM
Francesco is a splendid one to beholdFrancesco is a splendid one to beholdFrancesco is a splendid one to beholdFrancesco is a splendid one to beholdFrancesco is a splendid one to beholdFrancesco is a splendid one to beholdFrancesco is a splendid one to behold
Glad to see you guys are in the GTR game now. Was that Greg's GTR you tested?

Old 09-13-2009, 02:57 PM
CGinev is on a distinguished road
Great results guys! ...was waiting for you guys to get into this game.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:08 AM
AMS
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Francesco
Glad to see you guys are in the GTR game now. Was that Greg's GTR you tested?
Yes it was

Old 09-18-2009, 10:36 AM
AMS
Former Vendor
original post edited with pricing info.

Old 09-18-2009, 04:36 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Cobb advertises peak gain - different from gain at peak.

If you measure the gain over the midrange you'll see the difference.

AMS - that's a nice tune you've got there. Keep up the good work!