Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

My life with the GT-R aka My expensive test drive

Old 02-10-2014, 07:31 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
This is pretty entertaining. Three more months into the ownership and the car is for sale - the post below is from 3 months ago! (When I saw the ad, I thought I recognized the owner.) I won't exclude potential personal reasons and venture to say I'm sure there is nothing wrong with the car. But it does sound like another expensive test drive!
(No bad intent amerlemans - hope it works out for you and you get back into a p car! Your car looks perfect, if I had room for 4 or 5 cars, I'd probably get back into a GTR.)

Originally Posted by amerlemans
Well, I am 75-90 days in to my ownership with the GT-R and the "glow" has not worn off....it's actually gotten stronger. I will be as succinct as I can.

The only mods the car has are an HKS midpipe, HKS Legamax exhaust and a Cobb Accessport (running a Beta map for 93 oct and a non stock mid pipe). The car is just stupid fast. I just can't seem to get my head around needing anything faster (and there are a ton faster with Switzer, Alpha pkgs, etc.) My car should be close to 600 crank HP with the mid pipe, exhaust and tune that I am running.

I don't think anyone has ever questioned the performance. It is phenomenal. Handling just defies all laws of physics with how it corners vs its weight (although the car does not feel any heavier than my former M3). Roll, pitch and dive are almost non-existent. The steering is actually much more communicative than I remembered from my test drive although not as precise as the Porsche.

I drive this car to work on average three days a week (yes, in a suit) during good weather. I also drive it to dinner on Friday and Saturday night with my wife. Is it as comfortable as my former M3? No. Is it as comfortable as my former 997 Turbo? No. Is it more fun than both? Hell yes. Does it garner more attention? Yes; by a mile (I don't know if this is a good thing or bad thing).

Things I love:

Exterior styling (I have always loved the looks of this car)
Performance
Sound (with HKS midpipe and HKS Legamax exhaust)
AWD
Transmission (although not as good as my former E92 M3)
Seats
Utility (trunk size)

Things I want to change (or actually changed):

Runflat tires (will replace them with MPSS or R888 for $1,500+/-)
Brake pads (performance is great for normal driving but they are noisy)
Sound (midpipe changed this significantly)

Things I am indifferent about:

Gadgets
Interior quality (not Audi or Lexus like but also not as bad as my former C6 Vettes)

At the end of the day, I am extremely satisfied with the car and glad I made the purchase. The most important thing to me is I have to love the looks of my car. It has to make me give it the "look back" after I park it. The GTR does this in spades for me. I know the car is polarizing and some people find it quite ugly. I find it more attractive than a 911 and M3 (and the new M4). If the GTR had the comfort of the E92M3 and the quietness (mechanical noises; not exhaust) of the 997 Turbo while maintaining everything else it has, I would give the car a 9.9/10. As it is, I give it a 9/10. I really do love it.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:55 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Being CARB compliant would be great.

But for now, sources agree it isn't a production package/car. However, IF it is factory street legal, that could be the qualifier when comparing various cars.
At 52 NISMO cars released - this has become a non-starter.

It is the SpecV or Egoist for the new year. They will disappear from the public.

I'm holding out for the R36 (hybrid).

Old 02-13-2014, 01:55 PM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ryem3
This is pretty entertaining. Three more months into the ownership and the car is for sale - the post below is from 3 months ago! (When I saw the ad, I thought I recognized the owner.) I won't exclude potential personal reasons and venture to say I'm sure there is nothing wrong with the car. But it does sound like another expensive test drive!
(No bad intent amerlemans - hope it works out for you and you get back into a p car! Your car looks perfect, if I had room for 4 or 5 cars, I'd probably get back into a GTR.)
If you read the ad you'd see that I'm selling the car NOT TO GET ANYHTING ELSE. I am selling the car to do some house shuffling. I bought the car with an extended warranty that I have already cancelled and collected $2,200. I bought the car for $68,900 and will get $66-67K for it. So, $68,900 less $66,000 = $2,900. $2,900 - $2,200 cash back = $700 out of pocket plus $500 loss on mods is $1,200/5 months of ownership = $240/mo to drive the GTR. Expensive?

Last edited by amerlemans; 02-13-2014 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:42 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by amerlemans
If you read the ad you'd see that I'm selling the car NOT TO GET ANYHTING ELSE. I am selling the car to do some house shuffling. I bought the car with an extended warranty that I have already cancelled and collected $2,200. I bought the car for $68,900 and will get $66-67K for it. So, $68,900 less $66,000 = $2,900. $2,900 - $2,200 cash back = $700 out of pocket plus $500 loss on mods is $1,200/5 months of ownership = $240/mo to drive the GTR. Expensive?
Holy crap! That is an AMAZING value.

But, don't worry, some will only see what they want (person buys GT-R, gets bored, sells GT-R because the car is boring, uninspiring, etc...). They will completely ignore what you thought you were doing...

Old 02-13-2014, 02:52 PM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Holy crap! That is an AMAZING value.

But, don't worry, some will only see what they want (person buys GT-R, gets bored, sells GT-R because the car is boring, uninspiring, etc...). They will completely ignore what you thought you were doing...
I did get a helluva deal on the car Jasper. The person buying the car from me will get a helluva deal as well. The car is fantastic and I wish I could hold on to it but the overly conservative side of me just won't let it happen. I am paying down the debt on our Florida condo and in the process of selling our MD house and will be something much smaller here.

This is just a **** poor time of the year to sell a car like this. Oh well, I'll just hold it until March or April if I have to. I am not going to give it away. Would not be surprised if I am back in one in the next couple of years.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:01 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
No worries. Good luck with the sale. Value was a reason I got the gtr as well. I lost $6k on trading the car in. Probably also would have broke even selling it private party. They do hold their value very well, not trying to say otherwise.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:06 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by ryem3
No worries. Good luck with the sale. Value was a reason I got the gtr as well. I lost $6k on trading the car in. Probably also would have broke even selling it private party. They do hold their value very well, not trying to say otherwise.
Thanks man. I see values starting to fall a bit on these cars. I would trade it in in a heartbeat if I was looking to get something else right now ...to save on sales tax but I am out on getting something else until most likely the fall.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:22 PM
Good luck with it and best wait until half of the country thaws out. Fair comment on the tax. Forgot about that. With the tax consideration, I lost $500. However, the timing of my trade, I really didn't look at the tax saving as a true benefit. The $6k loss was real. I bought the car very well too. A typical wholesale/retail spread would be more.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:28 PM
cwelcome12 will become famous soon enoughcwelcome12 will become famous soon enough
Love this write up.... I've owned for 1.5yrs now, a 2011. I can't stand the choppy turning at slow speeds and the seats are Not comfortable. I miss my BMW M6 sometimes. But the GT-R is Fast as hell and it's an Attention *****.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by cwelcome12
Love this write up.... I've owned for 1.5yrs now, a 2011. I can't stand the choppy turning at slow speeds and the seats are Not comfortable. I miss my BMW M6 sometimes. But the GT-R is Fast as hell and it's an Attention *****.
The front diff may act differently for the DBA's..., but yeah, I find if I open up just a bit on my CBA (just shy of full lock), the binding isn't as bad.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by cwelcome12
Love this write up....
Glad you like the thread and cool that you're enjoying your GTR.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:08 PM
Max4Speed is on a distinguished road
Great read for sure

Old 05-21-2014, 02:33 PM
dk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to behold
just bought a 2012 GMG GTR last week and I'd have say that I agree with a lot of the OP's comments. But as pointed out, a lot of these complaints aren't necessarily unique to the GTR. I've want the GTR for a couple of years but remained quite satisfied with the C4S until the 12's moved into the mid 70's range. Had the car for about a week and love it. Things that annoy me
-drone between 2-3k RPM(has aftermarket exhaust and MP's)
-GR6 is always upshifting into tallest gear when in Auto mode (decided I like M mode better anyway)
-GR6 is noisy as hell (I was expecting it, but still annoying)
-ride comfort isn't appreciably different than my C4S with the damptronics

In the end, I'm getting super car performance at a fraction of the price. It's expensive to maintain but all sports cars are so that doesn't bother me either. Amusing to me how people are so passionate about their cars and if you say something bad about one car or another, you might as well have slapped their kid in the face. Honestly, if somebody doesn't like the GTR, they shouldn't drive it and they shouldn't have to. Cars are all about compromises and which compromises you're willing to accept. For me, it was a trunk for the golf clubs and trying to get as much performance as possible. So sadly, it was time for me to get rid of the Porsche but love the GTR!

One thing that I noticed, the rear seats weren't designed by anyone who has a kid or they were never intended to hold a person (child or otherwise) in the first place. The C4S has much more usable back seats for a child IMO. And that's shocking ! The problem is the seat cushion in the GTR is as long as a regular seat, so my child can't bend his legs, at least not comfortably. As small as the 997.1 back seat is, it actually can accommodate him better.

Regardless, OP's comments are well taken and accurate, at least to me. But again, not sure if these issues are necessarily unique to the GTR. One thing that can't be denied, the GTR has awesome performance.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:12 PM
Max4Speed is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by dk10438
Well said! The only thing I would add is the maint is NOT expensive at all. I mean 1K for a 18K service then a 36K service? In between you have got engine oil changes etc. I mean take a look at some other cars and their needs lol

Again everyone has an opinion so its all fun and games. I just love cars well ALL cars and GT-R is one of my alltime favorites.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by dk10438
-GR6 is always upshifting into tallest gear when in Auto mode (decided I like M mode better anyway)
-GR6 is noisy as hell (I was expecting it, but still annoying)....
Re: shifting into 6th at ~32mph (in manual this goes up a little). This was Nissan's (and a few others with dual clutches) method to advertise lower mileage (and to an extent can achieve it). I agree, and have been driving mostly manual for most of my ownership. I allow the downshifts to occur automatically, and upshift myself, or downshift manually when I'm pushing a little (obviously track behavior is different).

Re: gearbox noise. Yeah, it's there. What's funny is you may get used to it, and when it becomes quiet, you'll wonder what happened (sounds change depending on where your trans fluid is in its life cycle). Some trans fluids can reduce this a lot, some only a little. I've stayed with OE fluids, but that may change in the future. I also used sound dampening in the trunk and rear seating floor area when the wife helped me install a stealth sub in the stock location. Seemed to make it more livable.

Enjoy!

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My life with the GT-R aka My expensive test drive